Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
flag msg tools
Check out my podcast at!
Hey BGGers,

I have read the rules many times over, but I am having an issue figuring out how much purses are for each race.

I understand that when a horse wins, the purse is divided in 4 shares and each 1/4 of the horse is paid one of those four shares.

I understand in a claiming race, the money paid to claim horses is put out as the purse for that race.

I understand that in a dark horse race if a listed dark horse should win the race, they win not only the purse, but also the entrance fees.

What sets the purse in a dark horse race?

Thanks for any help,

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Weidig
msg tools
You need to remember that this game does not have a bank. Once the money is distributed no new money enters the game. The "Tray" is used to hold the purse. The spots marked 10 to 100 contain the purse and the last spot is for entry fees.

All money paid during a claiming race goes into the purse.

When horses are being scratched, scratched horse fees go into the purse.

Entry fees do not go into the purse.

During the race, if any player rolls a scratched horse, they must pay that the corresponding amount to the purse.

At the end of the race, the money in the spots marked 10 to 100 (called the purse) are then divided up among the winners. If the race was a Dark Horse race, the dark horse is determined by the program and the winner will also be awarded any entry fees that have accumulated from all previous races.

On the 10th and final race, any undistributed entry fees are paid to the winner of that race.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.