sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the highest tower of the White City of Atlantis, Wolfhawk scanned the horizon. Around her head flitted her two faithful magic familiars, chittering nervously, jabbering at her in the lingua arcane. Behind her she hears the voice of her faithful sorcerer, studying the ancient spell scrolls they found in the mazes and mage towers of Atlantis. Below her the city's populace seemed to hold their collective breath, its normal hustle and bustle quieted by the anticipation of war. Beyond the gates of the city the ground still smoked from the fierce battle between Wolfhawk and the White City's Grim Legionnaires. Wolfhawk absent-mindedly toyed with the handle of the Sword of Justice and squinted: there, just on the horizon, the tell-tale signs of General Volkare's advancing army, making its inevitable way towards the White City and Wolfhawk the Mage Knight ...

Hello, MK fans! I'm on the cusp of my first solo game of Volkare's Return - Epic ! Volkare and Wolfhawk are about to begin their epic final battle. As this was my first run through of this scenario, I started with the "easy" settings - Daring combat level, Volkare with 5 levels, a Race level of Fair (18 wounds), and 1 indecisive unit (which did result in Volkare gaining a grey unit into this army).

The game has gone ok so far, but I have been pretty crystal poor (having to continually fund those familiars is tough!), and my recruiting has been hampered by an awful reputation (at one point I was -7 ... ouch).

Here's what I'm up against -- Volkare's army!

You are looking at [from left to right, clockwise]: an Orc Stonethrower, Gunners, Guardsmen, an Ice Dragon, and the new Orc Skirmishers.

Here's Wolfhawk:

Skill tokens: Refreshing Breeze, Deadly Aim, Dueling, and Wolf Howl; recruits: two of the new Magic Familiars (whom I love), and the new Sorcerer.

Here's my hand:

From left to right: the new Shield Bash, Mana Storm, the new Mist Form/Viel of Mist, the Sword of Justice (!), the new Force of Nature, Demolish, and Burning Shield/Exploding Shield.

Here's the collection of monster's Wolfhawk dispatched on her way to conquering the White City:

Finally, the mana draw is one black, one red, and one blue.

I'm hoping to do the final battle tonight. I'm a little nervous - it is going to be an interesting fight! Stay tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(edit for David's points below; removed some flavortext. I think I got it right this time, but sadly it ended in Wolfhawk's defeat!)

The hours passed. It was night of the third day since Wolfhawk had stepped through the portal, and Volkare's army had neared close to the city. She gathered the two familiars, the sorcerer, and together the four of them set through the White City streets. She ignored the cold stares of the locals behind their boarded up windows, left the the city gates, and strode onto the battlefield.

Round one:

Smash the Sword of Justice removes physical resistance from the catapults.

Used Force of Nature with a green crystal from inventory to play the empowered version - Siege Attack 3. This was sufficient to destroy the (now without physical resistance) catapults, who have a defense of 2.

Sorcerer's ranged attack 3 + the additional +1 from Deadly Aim (sacrificing the Demolish spell) gets four ranged attack, enough to take out the orcs.

Play mana storm to get the red crystal, and used the black crystal from the source to play the Exploding Shield spell. The Fire Block 4 from the spell blocked 4 of the dragon's ice attack, and the shield bash plus dueling blocked the other 2 ice attack. Since the spell card was used to successfully block the attack, the blocked ice dragon was destroyed.

Volkare's poisoned, brutal assassin attack of four went through unblocked, doing 8 total damage due to the brutal. Wolfhawk's defense of 4 means she takes two initial wounds (due to poison), then another two wounds. The gunner's attack is brutal, doing 12 points of fire damage, so the gunner takes one wound and Wolfhawk takes the other, taking her hand wound count to 5.

Familiar 1 uses block 4 to block the guardman's 3 attack, and familiar 2 prepares to heal 3 on Wolfhawk.

Finally reroll the black and red mana dice; new mana dice green and red.

Round two

First, roll the General's die - it is green again, so he still has his poisonous brutal attack.

Next, use Spell Forge to gain a blue crystal.

Next, use familiar 2 to heal 3 points, and the refreshing breeze skill to heal an additional one (and gain a white crystal). Draw a Wound, Charm spell, the Horn of Wrath, Swiftness, and Spell Forge (still in hand are one wound and Mist Form) to draw to the bottom of the deck.

Next, destroy the Horn of Wrath to get an initial Siege Attack 5, and burn mist form to add an additional +1 for Deadly Aim. This destroys the gunners.

Next, take the general's assassin attack with Wolfhawk to get another four wounds Have six wounds in hand now.

Next, use white mana crystal + swiftness to get Ranged Attack 3. Flip Dueling to get another attack for a total for four. Still need 3 more to get through the guardian's 7 defense! Only choice is is to start rolling on the Horn of Wrath and hope four three good rolls without red or black...

Roll 1: blue
Roll 2: green
Roll 3: red! KOs Wolfhawk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sozin wrote:
Used Force of Nature with a green crystal from inventory to play the empowered version - Siege Attack 3. This was sufficient to destroy the catapults, who have a defense of 2.

Catapults have physical resistance.

Quote:
Volkare's poisoned, brutal assassin attack of four went through unblocked, doing 8 total damage due to the brutal. Wolfhawk's defense of 4 means she takes two initial wounds (due to poison), then another four wounds from the remaining eight points of damage.

I'm not sure how you figured this. 8 poison damage would be 2 wounds in hand and 2 wounds in your discard pile.

Quote:
Fortunately since these wounds are poison, half of them go into the discard pile, so Wolfhawk avoids being knocked out. The sorcerer gets singed (one wound) from the gunners, but his fire resistance can handle up to 8 fire damage, and the gunner is attacking with 6, so he gets away mostly unscathed.

Gunners are brutal, so that's 12 fire damage. That's one wound on the Sorcerers and a wound on your hero.

Quote:
Finally the two familiars both take a wound from the guardsmen and orc footmen.

The Orc Footmen have two attacks. What happened to the other one?

Quote:
In the attack phase, Wolfhawk uses the Sword of Justice and burns Mist Form and Demolish to get an attack of +6. She uses Deadly Aim for an additional plus one, getting the 7 attack needed to take out the Guardsmen. The sorcerer's 3 ranged attack plus familiar 2's 3 basic attack kills the gunners, and familiar 1's red-mana powered attack of 5 is enough to destroy the orcs.

How on earth are you attacking with your Sorcerer and Familiars, after you just wounded them?

Sorry, but this seems like an awful lot of mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No sweat, thank you for the feedback. I missed a few things :-) I always thought that a Unit could still attack after taking one wound! Will need to re-read those rules.

Expect an edited session reports, looks like I'll have to go another round. Thank you David.

EDIT: went through it again with some real changes to address David's points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, of all the awesome things the expansion wrought, the Familiars are the only thing I hate from both games. Maybe it is just because I can never generate mana to do what I want to do without worrying about those mana sucking vultures. Thankfully, I managed to hold on to win my first Volkare Quest game using Wolfhawk with your same settings (only my 3rd game ever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chung
msg tools
mbmb
Cool session report I just noticed a few things though

Quote:
Sorcerer's ranged attack 3 + the additional +1 from Deadly Aim (sacrificing the Demolish spell) gets four ranged attack, enough to take out the orcs.

You dont have sacrifice a card for Deadly aim and it only adds attacks to cards, not units.

Quote:
The gunner's attack is brutal, doing 12 points of fire damage, so the gunner takes one wound and Wolfhawk takes the other, taking her hand wound count to 5.

I assume you mean sorcerers here

Quote:
Next, destroy the Horn of Wrath to get an initial Siege Attack 5, and burn mist form to add an additional +1 for Deadly Aim. This destroys the gunners.

Next, take the general's assassin attack with Wolfhawk to get another four wounds Have six wounds in hand now.

Next, use white mana crystal + swiftness to get Ranged Attack 3. Flip Dueling to get another attack for a total for four. Still need 3 more to get through the guardian's 7 defense! Only choice is is to start rolling on the Horn of Wrath and hope four three good rolls without red or black...

You cant transfer the seige damage from the horn over from the ranged phase to the melee phase and not between units unless you group them together

Also, it looks like you are using the competitive wolfhawk skill instead of the co-op one which you can use in solo play

Edit: Assuming you havent used any skills yet, I believe you can take out everyone in 1 attack phase and take no wounds at the end of it, but I will let you have the fun of figuring that out .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome report here Sozin, really like reading these. I just wanted to point out one small thing that will probably have a big impact on future games. You mentioned:

Quote:

When playing with Volkare in one of the new scenarios (I don't think this applies if you just have him replacing a city), Volkare actually counts as another player for the purposes of determining # of dice in the source and the number of available units in the offer. So you should have 4 dice and 4 units appearing every round in a solo Volkare game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback guys. Wow, I really need to shake the rust off and re-learn this game!

I'm going to post my full game soon as a session and hopefully mess up much fewer rules... (and plan on stealing your awesome session report format, Trevor! :-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taerinshar wrote:
Awesome report here Sozin, really like reading these. I just wanted to point out one small thing that will probably have a big impact on future games. You mentioned:

Quote:

When playing with Volkare in one of the new scenarios (I don't think this applies if you just have him replacing a city), Volkare actually counts as another player for the purposes of determining # of dice in the source and the number of available units in the offer. So you should have 4 dice and 4 units appearing every round in a solo Volkare game

Actually, you only have 3 dice as one goes on Volkare. They just added the die so you would always have 3 dice in a solo game. Same for the 4th unit vs the indifference of units so you have 3 if you play on the easiest level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
Ugh, of all the awesome things the expansion wrought, the Familiars are the only thing I hate from both games. Maybe it is just because I can never generate mana to do what I want to do without worrying about those mana sucking vultures. Thankfully, I managed to hold on to win my first Volkare Quest game using Wolfhawk with your same settings (only my 3rd game ever).

Have you tried them in a game where you also have Herbalists (or whatever) to ready them again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:

Actually, you only have 3 dice as one goes on Volkare. They just added the die so you would always have 3 dice in a solo game. Same for the 4th unit vs the indifference of units so you have 3 if you play on the easiest level.

I could be misreading this completely, but if you look in the setup section for Volkare's Return and for Volkare's Quest (Page 14, 17), it says:

Quote:
Volkare is replacing the Dummy player in this scenario. Contrary to the Dummy player, Volkare counts towards the number of players, so you have one extra die in the Source and one extra Unit in the offer (number of real players plus 3).

Note that these lines don't appear when you're using Volkare as a City-replacement in the variant section. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.