mbmbmbmbmb
During the 2012 End-Of-Year Support Drive, I learned about a BGG member

Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb

who is no longer with us. I think this is what triggered my thoughts on aging thread. He was 2 years younger than me when he died.

Anyway, this thread is not about him. Not specifically about him, anyway. I see folks with the "Out for blood" micro badge: mb and immediately think of Tim when I see it.

So it got me thinking... he can't possibly be unique. There must be other BGG members who have passed on, but whose spirit lives on in a symbol, a thought, or a personality trait.

Why not start a line of "In Memory Of" micro badges? Tim's would be easy - a version of the "Out for blood" micro badge but with a white ribbon around it with "67" on it perhaps?

All of the "In Memory Of" microbadges would include the white ribbon and a two-digit year (or some common element)... along with something that represents them.

Here's what I'd like to see... reply to this thread with some positive contribution:

a name of a deceased member?
a suggestion for the "In Memory Of" micro badge design?
perhaps something other than micro badges to remember someone?
I know there are GeekLists made that are "In Memory Of" specific people, and this is great. Somehow... I'd like to see more? Something that will pop up more frequently and remind us all... there is someone missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IF I should die, think only this of me;. I'm taking my games with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, they've already set something up to deal with this. I think that they lock the profile and put an "In Memorium" badge on the Avatar, or something similar. I can't find any info in the BGG Wiki, so I suggest checking with BGG Admin
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

He will either know how to take care of it, or know who can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
IIRC, they've already set something up to deal with this. I think that they lock the profile and put an "In Memorium" badge on the Avatar, or something similar. I can't find any info in the BGG Wiki, so I suggest checking with BGG Admin
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, it's great with the BGG Admins do to remember people. I just thought we as members could put our heads together and brainstorm some ideas for making memorials possible on a daily basis, through the micro badge system.

Members remember others by including their avatars in their profile, but that requires a look at the profile.

Or should be be content with the existing ways to remember folks?

What do y'all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russell
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
Playing lotsa games in Windsor!!! YAAAAY!!!!
badge
I will be one of the first to be DEVOURED!!!!! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
mrudis65 wrote:
dogzard wrote:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, it's great with the BGG Admins do to remember people. I just thought we as members could put our heads together and brainstorm some ideas for making memorials possible on a daily basis, through the micro badge system.

Members remember others by including their avatars in their profile, but that requires a look at the profile.

Or should be be content with the existing ways to remember folks?

What do y'all think?

Seems a reasonable addition, there are all sorts of silly badges, why not some for our fallen comrades?

I think it's a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The microbadges are made on an ad-hoc basis. The best way to establish this precedent is to get a microbadge designer to start the tradition.

Microbadge Request & Design Feedback Geeklist 2.0 [CLOSED]

Make a request here, and the badges created can be discussed in the comments section. My guess is a designer will jump right on the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
The microbadges are made on an ad-hoc basis. The best way to establish this precedent is to get a microbadge designer to start the tradition.

Microbadge Request & Design Feedback Geeklist 2.0 [CLOSED]

Make a request here, and the badges created can be discussed in the comments section. My guess is a designer will jump right on the idea.

Oh, there's a micro badge request form? Awesome idea T.R.!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea, if I would die tomorrow I would be honored to have a micro badge in memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure someone in your real life knows you have a geek account, and to notify us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.