Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game of Village was played with Jesse, who was playing his first game. I was playing my fifth. I made sure to impress on Jesse how it was tremendously important to get goods to sell in this game, as letting the other player dominate that area could see you losing badly. Jesse paid attention to my advice, and blocked me convincingly throughout the game.

However, as Village is about more than just selling to customers, a couple of other areas let Jesse down.

The first turn was notable for how few villagers Jesse controlled on the board at the end of the turn. He had gone into the council chamber, taken the first player marker and gained some cubes, as well as made goods and sold to the first customer, but with the councillor dying, he had no-one on the board at all! Meanwhile, I had no-one in my farm, and everyone on the table: mainly craftsmen, but one traveller and one monk as well.

I ended the turn with an ox, a plow and a scroll. Jesse had no goods, and few cubes... but with three family members to use.

The second turn saw Jesse returning to the council chambers and beginning to set up a nice inflow of influence cubes which he'd then spend taking extra actions (for the most part). Jesse and I both sold to one customer apiece this turn, and Jesse acquired an ox. I travelled to a second village, then let the traveller die.

The family book filled up quickly this turn, and Jesse and I both put new monks into the chapel.

The third turn was the last, as Jesse lost a lot of villagers to anonymous graves. I'd managed to get five people into the village book, so I was happy, but Jesse only had two family members there - alas for Jesse, one of his first-generation family members had remained in-training for the priesthood, and so he'd lost his new council-member when forced to by the march of time.

Both of us filled up the church as much as possible, exchanging grain for gold, and then two gold each to make sure our people came out. Jesse had the grain to advance his monks further than me, but both our scores in the church were quite strong.

Where Jesse was weaker was in the other areas of scoring. He ended up scoring three customers to my two, but his were of lesser point value.

Final Scoring
Travel: Merric 3, Jesse 0
Council Hall: Merric 0, Jesse 0
Family Book: Merric 12, Jesse 0
Church: Jesse 10, Merric 9
Customers: Merric 11, Jesse 10

Final Scores: Merric 42, Jesse 22

In the end, Jesse played a pretty good game, which had one major flaw: his family members dying in the wrong places. A little more growth of his family probably would have done the trick. It was a very good game for a newcomer to Village, and I think he'll do much, much better in his next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
In the end, Jesse played a pretty good game, which had one major flaw: his family members dying in the wrong places.
You know that when the time marker passes the bridge, any family member of the oldest generation may die, not only the one currently doing an action? Jesse could have let somone at his farm die in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
MerricB wrote:
In the end, Jesse played a pretty good game, which had one major flaw: his family members dying in the wrong places.
You know that when the time marker passes the bridge, any family member of the oldest generation may die, not only the one currently doing an action? Jesse could have let somone at his farm die in the first round.

Yes; it was a problem with not having enough family members for Jesse (or them being in the bag).

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.