Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 10 Most Important Board Games In History rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this on Listvese and thought I would share it.

10 Most Important Board Games In History
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No Twister?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of them so important they were largely unheard off?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
What? No Twister?



They left out Go, too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Some of them so important they were largely unheard off?


The only one I had not heard of was The Mansion of Happyness.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the titles on this list are games. Games are supposed to be fun. These are all brain cell killers.
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
None of the titles on this list are games. Games are supposed to be fun. These are all brain cell killers.


I think I saw some of these games in Wal-Mart,

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool list. The criteria are all over the place, and it reads more like a history lesson than a true weighting of which games were most important, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
None of the titles on this list are games. Games are supposed to be fun. These are all brain cell killers.


Better take them back to target.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No Go? Best list ever. Stupid Go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
That's a cool list. The criteria are all over the place, and it reads more like a history lesson than a true weighting of which games were most important, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.


Calling the list "games that are historically important to the western world" might have been a better title.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because one game predates another, even if it can be shown that one game descended from another, that does not necessarily make the ancestor game more important or significant than the descendant. Instead, significance should consider total influence over time. For that reason, I think XiangQi is more significant than Chaturanga, Monopoly is more significant than The Landlord's Game, and that The Mansion of Happiness (and related morality games such as The Game of Goose) is less significant than Leela. Dropping The Mansion of Happiness would open a top ten slot for Go, which clearly deserves a spot on this list.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mansion of Happiness should definitely be dropped off that list, it was shit compared to Arkham Joy.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there no way for Mods to merge threads on BGG? It's frustrating to find after posting on a thread that a duplicate was posted a day prior. While the discussion is very different, the OP is pretty much exactly the same...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
Just because one game predates another, even if it can be shown that one game descended from another, that does not necessarily make the ancestor game more important or significant than the descendant. Instead, significance should consider total influence over time. For that reason, I think XiangQi is more significant than Chaturanga, Monopoly is more significant than The Landlord's Game, and that The Mansion of Happiness (and related morality games such as The Game of Goose) is less significant than Leela. Dropping The Mansion of Happiness would open a top ten slot for Go, which clearly deserves a spot on this list.


Perhaps they should have made it families of games.

As to Go being left off the list, my earlier comment about western games covers it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids these days, with their wooden Mancala boards! Back in my day, we had to dig holes in the ground to play, and we liked it!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A report from the Smithsonian Institute described it as the “national game of Africa.”

Seriously?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
slaven41 wrote:
Quote:
A report from the Smithsonian Institute described it as the “national game of Africa.”

Seriously?


Yeah, you know, from the great Nation of Africa.

James Smithson is spinning like a gyroscope....

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are the rules of the Royal Game of Ur really known like the article claims?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny list and criteria.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.