BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Has anyone played this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in High School (sometimes on long road trips), I used to play a really simple, but really competitive game. We never really came up with a name for it, nor am I sure it even counts as a boardgame. I can't even quite remember where I've played it before I introduced it to people.

What you did to start was lay out a square grid of dots on a sheet of paper, usually not more than 10mm apart. The size of the grid depended on how big the paper was and how long the game was going to be.

After that, you'd take turns connecting the dots one to another with a single line. You could only make vertical and hortizonal lines. The objective was to complete a box using the lines. If you drew the last line that completed a box, you'd write some notation in the finished box and give yourself a point. Whoever had the most points in the end was the winner.

I'm asking what the game is called, as this is entirely too innovative for me to have come up with on my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
We called it "dots". I heard it referred to by that name before but that could be a regional thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, yeah we played this in school too. I think we just called it the Box Game. I actually wrote a little program in VB to play. Makes me wonder where it started.

Here it is:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17106

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always heard it called Dots, and the other day I seen a pad of paper and rules for it called Dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Dots and Dashes in my school. I actually got put up against the wall in Study Hall for "talking" (heaven forbid) when my opponent made a really good move and I was saying something like "You dirty rotten scoundrel.." with the teacher standing right behind me the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, "dots" deffinately or possibly "Dots!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Danish it is called "Bygge Lejligheder" = "Flat Building".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin M
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we called it boxes. In my school it was the standard paper & pencil game after we were old enough to realise noughts & crosses was broken (ok we played hangman too but I always preferred this). We always played that if you completed a box you drew another line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Jankowski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We called it Fences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Like this?

http://trowbridgeplanetearth.com/GMS/Squares/Squares.html

In the UK we call it squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the game as "Dots and Boxes." The Way to Play from Bantam Books refers to the game as "Boxes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing this in study hall in junior high--late '60s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's "Dots" here in Kentucky.

Someone actually tried to market it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17106

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We called it "Boxes", too, as that's what you end up with. "Dots" are what you start out with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dots and Boxes. There's strategy guides written for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smougman wrote:
this is entirely too innovative for me to have come up with on my own.

Cute. One rule you didn't mention, that I have discovered not everybody plays with although it is crucial, is that when you complete a box you must go again (draw another line). There are of course situations in which you don't want to go again, and this is what makes it an actual game.

Check this out. And if whoever I lent my copy to is reading this, give it back!
http://akpeters.com/product.asp?ProdCode=1292

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
One rule you didn't mention, that I have discovered not everybody plays with although it is crucial, is that when you complete a box you must go again (draw another line). There are of course situations in which you don't want to go again, and this is what makes it an actual game.

Ah, yes! That's part of the fun of this one. much of the strategy is constructing series of lines that can eventually be triggered to form long chains of boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
Smougman wrote:
this is entirely too innovative for me to have come up with on my own.

Cute. One rule you didn't mention, that I have discovered not everybody plays with although it is crucial, is that when you complete a box you must go again (draw another line). There are of course situations in which you don't want to go again, and this is what makes it an actual game.

Check this out. And if whoever I lent my copy to is reading this, give it back!
http://akpeters.com/product.asp?ProdCode=1292

Thats right. I remembered that but forgot to mention it. Leads to a lot of frustration when you finish off a big number of boxes and realize you're going to have to hand the win over to the other player because of short-sighted planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One strategy to this was instead of finishing a whole line of triggered boxes, you would place it so you "fail" to make another box, thus "making" your opponent give you a new line to finish off, triggering another section, or they get the last box, ...and.. have to make another section trigger. That was the joy of being in the lead, almost like Zertz, you force the opponent's moves near the end, knowing when to break into "that" mode is a tough one though, and if they see it coming, they might go into that mode before you can, so you have to work that into your strategy as well. I can't believe there is a whole book on the game, but I've seen books on less content many times before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
[q="Smougman"]this is entirely too innovative for me to have come up with on my own.

We played this in class in college...which I'll deny,of course. We played with the above rule, too. More challenging!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.