enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am a relatively new gamer, over the last week I got to try Talisman and Runebound and loved them both.
Is there a game that is good mix/best of both ?
Keep the simplicity and pace from Talisman ( minus major luck in die rolls for movement) and character progression and ally mechanic from Runebound (hopefully keeping the session time less than 4 hours).

Thanks,
Enie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Prophecy. It is similar to Talisman, but takes out the die roll movement mechanic. There are guilds where you can get abilities within certain classes for your character. Depending on the number of players, and if you use certain variants, you can complete a game in 4 hours or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been too long since I've played Runebound (and I only played the 1st edition), but Prophecy is (apparently) based on Talisman, but with a little less luck, and a little more modern-style game design.

Edit: Ninja'd ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (my top recommendation, hands down)
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game (fully cooperative)
Wiz-War (eighth edition) (IDK, it's in the ballpark "fantasy" wise; plays differently, but it's a really fun game)
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game
Defenders of the Realm
Cave Troll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mice and Mystics has been highly recommended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (my top recommendation, hands down)

Definately agree with Descent 2.0 with the caveat that you need at least 2 players, and 1 of them is the overlord who plays against everyone else. Since Runebound is competitive that shouldnt be too much of a hassle.

Descent 2.0 has a campaign/quest system, and each quest usually takes 1-2 hours, so you can easily play under 4 hours and continue the main campaign when you want to.

Also, the original poster might enjoy play by forum games of Runebound:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/388117/runebound-second-e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did look up Descent 2.0 after finding it on one of Tom Vassel's list. I have played the "overlord vs everyone else" mechanic in Last night on earth and while that is one of my favorite games, I am not sure if the same would appeal in a fantasy setting. I would most certainly give it a try if I find it in one my local game meetups. Oooh and the bite size campaigns sounds appealing too.

As for Runebound house rules , I did play with no PvP and simplified market for each city.

Now doing research on
Prophecy
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Wiz-War (eighth edition)
Defenders of the Realm
Cave Troll
Mice n mystics

Looks like I have a bit of home work to do cool,
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my humble opinion, no other game does a better job at "overlord vs. everyone else" than Descent. It's still the king of this mechanic for many folks, myself included.

Just FYI the first edition is larger in scale and can take 6 or more hours sometimes, but 2.0 streamlines a couple mechanics and setup. You can't go wrong either way. My gaming group loves Descent, probably our favorite game, but since we have many more 3 hour blocks of time than 6-7 hour blocks of time, we're going to switch to 2.0. We just hate not being able to play our favorite group game!

And yes, absolutely, try to play it before buying it (although 2.0 is significantly more affordable than the original edition). I hope this info is helpful.

EDIT: And all the games you're looking at appear to be winners. The only one I'm not familiar with is Prophecy. Haven't played M&M, but it's been on my radar for quite some time now, looks great and apparently has a cool narrative when playing.

enie wrote:
I did look up Descent 2.0 after finding it on one of Tom Vassel's list. I have played the "overlord vs everyone else" mechanic in Last night on earth and while that is one of my favorite games, I am not sure if the same would appeal in a fantasy setting. I would most certainly give it a try if I find it in one my local game meetups. Oooh and the bite size campaigns sounds appealing too.

As for Runebound house rules , I did play with no PvP and simplified market for each city.

Now doing research on
Prophecy
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Wiz-War (eighth edition)
Defenders of the Realm
Cave Troll
Mice n mystics

Looks like I have a bit of home work to do cool,
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.