Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I rarely play with more then 2 players and love the one on one
competition, plus I sometimes can't find a third player.

I have never played this game, would any of you still recommend this game even if you were to find yourself mostly playing a 2 player game?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
With two players this game feels like a race with some psychological screwage. The most important reason for this is that the power plant auctions are much more intense: you don't want your opponent to get his cheap, but don't want to push him over the edge by having him pass and making you buy the damn thing either. Sometimes you'd even want to open bidding on the plant of your second choice just so you have free reign of the market later on. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. If you like these bidding games, then Power Grid should appeal to you, otherwise it won't.

A good indication is whether you already own Ra or Goa and play those with just the two of you. If that is indeed the case, you can add Power Grid to your collection with relative confidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I dont feel Powergrid is worth owning 2 player. Theres not enough interaction and it takes too long. Only worth playing with 3-5 imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play Power Grid all the time as a 2-player game. It actually runs pretty quick. We can finish a game in 90 minutes or less and it's an enjoyable experience. There is definite interaction in this game even for just 2 players. Sometimes we play a variant where we do not auction the power plants. Just pay face value. The game then comes down to the correct choices for resource purchases, which plants, which cities, and when to make these decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the 3 player game but it still plays fine in 2-player mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is the game as a 2 player game alone with purchase price
I'd agree with the above sentiments that it is worth owning, on the proviso that both of you like this sort of game, in which case a try before you by may be a good idea. I also agree that it is better with more players, but is certainly playable as two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.