United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
MJWaters84 wrote:
Title says it all. I can't find any info about a reprint, and I know this is a very fine game that I want to add to my collection.

No reprint in the foreseeable future and mostly likely will never see one with FFG. Better grab what you can while you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm far from an expert, but my impression is that the core set is unprintable in its current form without it costing well over $100.

And since FFG have a vested interest in keeping the rights to the game to help promote their Westeros line, it seems unlikely anyone else would be able to secure the rights to at least print any new expansions Richard Borg has in mind.

It seems the name is too valuable for FFG to relinquish but the game itself is too expensive for them to continue to support it. So buy now, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if BoW is garbage, but Battlelore is awesome, get it if you can find one in good shape and complete, it's worth the extra cost.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has basically killed BattleLore, hence letting the base game and all of the expansions go dormant. You should simply buy one if you can find one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, buy one while you can. I have three and don't regret any of them.

Sadly, FFG have said its too expensive to reprint the original game, but have made no effort to redo the base set in a way that is more cost effective. It is sad to think that Battlelore will probably languish at FFG while it continues to be unsupported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
Yep, buy one while you can. I have three and don't regret any of them.

Sadly, FFG have said its too expensive to reprint the original game, but have made no effort to redo the base set in a way that is more cost effective. It is sad to think that Battlelore will probably languish at FFG while it continues to be unsupported.

I'm going to assume the expense is in producing the figures, since FFG churn out games with boards, cards and counters all the time. There are several already explored options here;

1. Use blocks like C&C Ancients
2. use counters
3. partner with a figure producer to produce a combined product (ala Samurai Battles). A Zvezda/FFG or Italeri/FFG product would be pretty good in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the original molds were lost by the factory (totally unacceptable and I would be furious if that was the case).

Therefore to produce more it would cost too much.
If the factory did indeed lose them, then I would expect it would be their (the factories) responsibility to produce a new set of molds to replace those that are lost. But clearly hat hasn't happened.

Wooden blocks would be great, but they don't have the same margins as plastic figs do, tokens would not be practical and I don't see FFG going with another company to produce plastics.

The icing on the cake is that FFG never liked the fantasy history concept as it didn't fit their vision. They tied some loose ends with product that was already designed and then moved onto BoW.

I think it's the end of the line for Battlelore (sad as it is). What a missed opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
I'm going to assume the expense is in producing the figures, since FFG churn out games with boards, cards and counters all the time.

If the molds really were lost / damaged, then recutting them would be somewhat expensive. Probably at least $50k in hard tooling costs.

My guess it's an issue of production run size. DoW captured probably 80% of the potential customers early on. DoW and FFG probably captured the bulk of the expansion potential as well, which has been milked dry by both - DoW doing dribs and drabs at the start, FFG doing "greatest hits" and specials at the end. Until copies wear out, there's no push for a second edition.

Look at Space Hulk - 1989, 1996, 2009. Average 10 years per new edition. That puts BattleLore 2nd edition off until 2016 or so, possibly later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
[q="Minedog3"]Look at Space Hulk - 1989, 1996, 2009. Average 10 years per new edition. That puts BattleLore 2nd edition off until 2016 or so, possibly later.

That's an interesting theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:
I'm going to assume the expense is in producing the figures, since FFG churn out games with boards, cards and counters all the time.

If the molds really were lost / damaged, then recutting them would be somewhat expensive. Probably at least $50k in hard tooling costs.

Yes it would be expensive, but if the factory lost them, then it should be the factory's responsibility to replace them.

It's as much it didn't fit their 'vision' of the engine use as it is cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holt
United States
Brooklyn
United States
flag msg tools
nuthin to see here
badge
honestly! you're rather nosey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say save your $ til the digital printers get cheaper, then at that point you will be able to buy FFG's "digital battlelore" with all the cards, books, and boards in the box, along with a code to go online and download all the models for printing at home.

That puts the cost on the consumer, in terms of raw material and personal printer, while still allowing FFG to provide the structure for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerrysclix wrote:
I'd say save your $ til the digital printers get cheaper, then at that point you will be able to buy FFG's "digital battlelore" with all the cards, books, and boards in the box, along with a code to go online and download all the models for printing at home.

That puts the cost on the consumer, in terms of raw material and personal printer, while still allowing FFG to provide the structure for the game.

Agreed...that way in 2028 when digitial printers are readily available and cost effective he can play BattleLore. Sorry for the sarcasm...couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, I don't see this as a viable option. If you are interested in BattleLore you'd be waiting many, many years for the option to digitally self manufacture this game(in a way that would be cost effective and legal, anyways).

I would love it if were were close the "digital era" of miniature production...but we really aren't particularly close. I love the concept, but the legal rangling, "old guard" game companies that aren't known for their quick adaptation to changing markets, and a still high price point for digitial printers....maybe next decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerrysclix wrote:

so how is this not VASSAL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holt
United States
Brooklyn
United States
flag msg tools
nuthin to see here
badge
honestly! you're rather nosey
mbmbmbmbmb
I was being somewhat sarcastic, cheap digital printers are another 5-10 years off. Battlelore probably won't get a reprint due to the prohibitive scale. FFG has thrown its hat behind BoW as their 'revised' iteration of the game. Any chances for further expansions have to overcome the following: 1) the base game is no longer in print, 2) a reprint is not feasible, 3) expansions sell less than the base game already, and later expansions tend to sell even less. The BoW hasn't had a new expansion posted in a while and it is in print.

Outside of used/auctioned/'collector' markup copies the only other means of playing are digital or by getting crafty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.