Danny Slack
United Kingdom
LEICESTER
Unspecified
flag msg tools
hi all merry christmas happy new year to you all
i went out and bought both these games (Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers
Settlers of Catan)
thinking i was going to get to play them.
NOT A CHANCE
wife watch tv kids only interested in xbox computer games.
How do i get my kids interested in board games?
i wonder!
i got them to play cards but none of them got that play to win the drive
they just say its crap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what I do. Disconnect the xbox or the tv or the whatever.

Either that or head to a friend's house and leave them to veg in front of the tubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they won't notice if you've left to go play at a friend's house.

Other alternative is to get one or two of the kids' friends interested--if you can find any of 'em that like boardgames, your kids might begin to think they're "cool."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't know if it can be related directly or not, but we've had great luck with having our kids be interested in boardgames. Your mileage may vary or maybe with your kids it will be something completely different but I attribute our success to doing one thing: getting rid of the television (over 6 years ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play without them. Let them see how much fun you have playing board games. They'll eventually start asking questions....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time you can get them to play (or maybe just start with one of them), make sure there's a lot of fun and laughter. Invent stories with the meeples in Carc. and the Robber in Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting young helps. If kids learn to enjoy board games at a young age, they'll continue to play through the teenage years. It's tough to convince a teenager who's an XBox junkie to convert. -max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially on Christmas day when he has likely just got a juicy new game or 2 to play on said X-box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that is really important today is to regulate how much tv and video games a child is exposed to in any given day. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids under age 2 have no screen time, and that kids older than 2 watch no more than 1 to 2 hours a day of quality programming. In some households that may seem to be an absurdly small amount of time, but that's probably one of the reasons we have so many problems in society.

Regardless of the content, tv and video games do alter the wiring of the brain in people and recent studies have shown that the more exposure children have to screen time then the more likely they will end up having attention deficit disorder.

When it comes to feeding a kid you don't just dump a bag of doritos down at the dinner table and let the kids have at it, so's the case with tv and video games. These should be special things that the kids have earned to chance to use, rather than just an everyday background feature in the house.

Now turning off the xbox and telling them they need to play a boardgame probably won't win them over very well, but if you redirect the usage of electronic media in the household then over time the kids will have a better chance to see the value in other things that are laying about the house, such as books and boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil just dragged the problem out behind the barn and shot it clean through the head. Limit the tube time--it's especially helpful to have a couple of blackout hours that occur at the same time every day, like no TV, videogames, internet, etc. from three to six pm, or whatever. This way the kids know it's coming, it doesn't seem arbitrary or vindictive, and they know they have to plan ahead to fill that time. Let them know they can do whatever they want in there--read, play outside, nap, whatever.

Or maybe play some analog games...

As for getting everyone onto boardgames, start with easy, fun ones that are full of (as someone said above) laughter and good times. (And if you can serreptiously throw a win their way, do it. As a good friend of mine says, "compentency is buy-in.")

Good luck to you.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it helps to start young. We don't let our kids watch much TV at all (basically only movies once or twice a week, so about 3-4 hours of controlled programming). We also do not let them play videogames. We will eventually, but it needs to be controlled. As mentioned, it is something I am convinced is much harder to resolve once they have gone through the maturing years constantly having it.

I know someone at work who said he and his wife have something called "no screens" time. They tried to cut down on console games ("no playing Xbox") and discovered the kids would just go grab the Gameboy. They then stopped the Gameboy, and found they would just go pop in some crappy movie they've watched 1,000 times. They said no movies, and then they'd just stare at the television and veg out. They said no television, so they'd just go surf the internet mindlessly. So now they simply have a "Nothing with a screen" policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not convinced by the notion of simply banning TV or video games.

In my experience (with my three sons, now 10, 11 and 18) what had the greatest influence was presenting boardgames as something that were interesting and fun in their own right - not merely as something to fill a gap while the boys were serving out their "no screens" time.

For me, what started as a little gentle cajoling (& the occasional begging) has, over the last year, changed my sons from people who would look at me strangely if I suggested a game, into people who now actively ask me for a game.

Christmas 2004, their wishlists were full of video games. Christmas 2005, no video games were deemed worthy of inclusion, but Memoir 44 was a must-have.

Don't get me wrong - they still play video games. But they don't only play video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
I'm not convinced by the notion of simply banning TV or video games.

I do not think anyone is suggesting banning them. I think they are suggesting setting limits, so that the kids do not come home from school, immediately plop in front of a television with a controller, and sit there for the rest of the night.

I think that if you do not stop them from doing whatever they want, whenever they want, they will tend to take the path of least resistance and easiest gratification, and at some point it will be too late to teach them right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm a bit of an extreme example when it comes to tv and video games, but here's what we did: We got rid of tv a couple of years ago. I HAVE a tv, but it's not connected to cable or satelite or an antenna or anything else. When we watch, we watch dvds and we almost always watch together as a family. Nobody just sits down and turns on the boob tube.

We do have the video game consoles, but nobody just sits down and starts playing those either. In fact, they're thought of as belonging to the adults, not the child in the house, so unless I get it out and want to play, it doesn't come on either.

It makes for a much more social home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
With my nephew, we had the good fortune that he looks up to his daddy and uncle. When he saw us playing games he always wanted to join in. This year was a milestone for him. He got to do some kingmaking in a game of Settlers. He stole longest road from me, leaving me 1VP away from the win on my turn, and my brother made it to 10VP on his next.

But we were proud of the little guy, nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lmyrick wrote:
Okay, I'm a bit of an extreme example when it comes to tv and video games, but here's what we did: We got rid of tv a couple of years ago. I HAVE a tv, but it's not connected to cable or satelite or an antenna or anything else. When we watch, we watch dvds and we almost always watch together as a family. Nobody just sits down and turns on the boob tube.

We do have the video game consoles, but nobody just sits down and starts playing those either. In fact, they're thought of as belonging to the adults, not the child in the house, so unless I get it out and want to play, it doesn't come on either.

It makes for a much more social home.

When kids come into the picture this is going to be my approach. I don't have cable/satelite right now and I can't imagine adding another $50-80 a month to the bills just for the vast wasteland to get pumped into the house. Netflix provides a bounty of quality stuff that can be controlled on our end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
stealeydan wrote:
i wonder!

You don't.

Simply make it an available option. Not everyone likes them, not everyone wants to. Some try them and hate them.

Let them discover IF they want. Making them play will sour them from the hobby permanently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Slack
United Kingdom
LEICESTER
Unspecified
flag msg tools
echoota wrote:
Regardless of the content, tv and video games do alter the wiring of the brain in people and recent studies have shown that the more exposure children have to screen time then the more likely they will end up having attention deficit disorder.

that could be right as with my two older sons 15 & 10 they live with my x wife and both grew up on computer games almost as soon as they got up they was playing and both are on tablets ritalin for ADHD now my son who lives at home with me allthowe he has xbox he not play it as much as other brothers he is fine
my elder 2 get ratty snappy if they don't get there daily dose of it,
allthowe not as bad as when they are with there mum.
Mmm never rearly looked into a link computer games and ADHD I shall put it to there mum when they go back home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
All kids are different - rules/approaches that work for one won't work for another. My oldest daughter self-rations herself on video games, loves board games and has lots of other interests. My son would spend every hour of every day on PC/PS/GBA/DS unless we rationed them and every so often impose a week's ban - and even then he mopes about it and plans a schedule for when he gets back on them. Some kids (like adults)will simply never be interested in boardgames no matter what you do.

To try and tempt the video game generation across to boardgames you could try hitting them with games they will at least recognise from their electronic games playing. How about the 'Doom' boardgame - I've never played it myself but it doesn't sound too bad. It is a little more visceral, and may be more understandable to someone used to first-person-shooters, than the likes of Carcassone ('so I get to place farmers and make fields...err when do I get to shoot stuff?'). Even if 'Doom' is not the kind of game you like it's still a start and before you know it they'll be into Euro cube management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...err when do I get to shoot stuff?

soblue I hope the kids of this generation (mine included) don't grow up in an environment where they look to this behavior to find fun. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, it sure warms the cockles of my heart to hear so many parents restricting TV and computer usage. They both rot your brain.

We're probably on the extreme side: no TV on weekdays, unless the kids want to watch PBS's "NewsHour with Jim Lehrer".

Game time is part of "family time" at our house. But it only works if Mrs. Hungadunga agrees that we'll all sit down and play. It's important to use games where there is some interest, though. The beauty is that there are so many excellent games on the market on almost every conceivable topic.

My youngest likes Formula One racing, so she got Formula De Mini for her birthday. So, if your kids like Doom or Railroad Tycoon, get the boardgame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my elder 2 get ratty snappy if they don't get there daily dose of it,

If this is the case, it's definitely time for an outright ban on video games at your place, and work with your ex to help enforce the ban on her side, too.

If you don't mind me askin', how are your kids' grades at school? You're welcome to message me privately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stealeydan wrote:

Mmm never rearly looked into a link computer games and ADHD I shall put it to there mum when they go back home

What's interesting is that there is also a video game treatment for ADHD. It's a special biofeedback unit that the kid wears which then affects the game and training him to get more focused in a healthy way.

http://news.com.com/Attention+deficit+disorder+Try+video+gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel V
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Well only one person has suggested the kids interests. I'm not sure what your kids are interested in exactly but if they like the macabre as many young boys do then perhaps a game like Zombies or (as stated previously) Doom. There are several Lord of the Rings games and several Cheap Ass games that include, on a small level, violence. Two titles are Kill Dr. Lucky and Spree.

Start there and move in to Catan. They will see that you are fun and so arre the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Slack
United Kingdom
LEICESTER
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My 2 eldest sons live with my ex-wife 170miles from me so I don't get to see them that often.
As for there grades they are not very good for Thomas the youngest of the 2 but he has to go to a special school started last year.
my eldest son who is 15, well how can I put it by the age of 6 he was just learning to read had to have a 1 to 1 tutor although that has now stopped and he has com on in leaps an bounds he has started writing his lyrics for songs and even though I say this myself they are very good.
I have just taken them home dropped them off and within 20 minutes had 3 phone calls from Thomas crying about this an.
now I must admit when they are with me they do use Xbox for about 1hour each then its switch of they not like it but I’m dad they know wot I say goes.
Told there mum about adhd link to computer games and she must limit them on it but she finds it hard to enforce anything and to be honest I personally think she should be on the tablets more than our kids. (hey that’s another story)wowwow
yesterday 27-12-05 I did dig out monopoly and the Mysteries of Peking and some playing cards they all not the keen on Peking but enjoyed monopoly so much we had to play again and to be honest I hate monopoly.
now they got the gist of game buy stuff collect rent my eldest son watch me move my piece 10 space's he counted with me laughing I thought he knows I’m landing on his place witch I did he had his eyes 4 inch's away from board I thought he we go he going to look up and say mine 2000squid please but he never just rolled the dice a moved his piece.
I said wot about this he said oh no I never saw it (WOT) I said you watch me move and you counted as well anyway they had a real good laugh.
Now if you look at my son he has a vacant look on his face now that sounds bad coming from his dad I know.
I said to him don't they have a games workshop where you can go an play the war hammer games nope they don't there mum could not ban Xbox’s in her house because they would give her hell I know they would and she moved to far away for me to pop round and sort the mess out I can over the phone calm things down when she or my sons get problems.
Hey I’m ranting on here I’ll stop now (sorry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.