Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: any chance for kickstarter expansion ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaka Jelacin
Slovenia
Ljubljana
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As said in the title, do you guys think there is a chance for us to get some Battlelore stuff with kickstarter??
I think Richard should make expansions and I think it would get a lot of support. Only problem is if ther is no way around FFG licence. We might get expansions for Battlelore but called something else

well I painted all Battlelore stuff and I love the game so I need some more can't blame a person for wishing
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

in my opinion, this is not an absurd idea at all. Even renamed companies are looking for alternatives to the current financial crisis. For example, Days of Wonder is looking for support for their upcoming digital version of SmallWorld 2 on Kickstarter, so anything can happen, why not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the exact same thing. If FFG is concerned about costs of production and extent of interest, they could solve both with no risk through Kickstarter. I would hate to see FFG be like a big corporate monster that won't develop a license, but also prohibit its development by others. Battlelore is too great a game to be held hostage. I am certain a KS would meet its goals. Plus, I want an undead army!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though we're probably dreaming in technicolor, I have to say , I'd be all in if such a thing were to happen!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love for a reprinting to happen (I am still lacking all goblin expansions) and even more for a new addition to the system.

However, I would certainly not hope for a "print it with a different name" solution, de facto ignoring the license.

FFG is a honest and honourable company and I would not like them to be tricked, even if I do not appreciate their decision of discontinuing BL in favour of the non-compatible BoW

By the way, that's what really annoys me, if they had AT LEAST released banners and rules to integrate all the human troops from BL into BoW I would have probably plunged into the new system as well
|
Best
Geki
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
I would love for a reprinting to happen (I am still lacking all goblin expansions) and even more for a new addition to the system.

However, I would certainly not hope for a "print it with a different name" solution, de facto ignoring the license.

FFG is a honest and honourable company and I would not like them to be tricked, even if I do not appreciate their decision of discontinuing BL in favour of the non-compatible BoW

By the way, that's what really annoys me, if they had AT LEAST released banners and rules to integrate all the human troops from BL into BoW I would have probably plunged into the new system as well
|
Best
Geki


Regarding the Goblins, don't fret too much...they are a bunch of fearful wimps! Agree with you on everything else though.

Seeing Days of Wonder Small World 2 KS makes me think that this is not beyond the realm of possibility. I am certain part of the problem is that FFG is overloaded with much more profitable projects for which they paid large licensing fees. But I also know that FFG cares about the gaming community as was seen in the Stronghold Merchant of Venus settlement. So, who knows? Maybe if we get some groundswell of support this could happen. Anyone know how to make an internet petition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:

Regarding the Goblins, don't fret too much...they are a bunch of fearful wimps! Agree with you on everything else though.


Derailing the topic a little bit, if I was to secure one and only one Goblin expansion, which of the three would you suggest?

Best
Geki
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
By the way, that's what really annoys me, if they had AT LEAST released banners and rules to integrate all the human troops from BL into BoW I would have probably plunged into the new system as well

No reason you cannot use the Premium Banner "boosters" that FFG sells for BoW and use them with BL figures, then make a fan card for the BL units.

That is a good idea, actually. I hate using so many weird halberds.

I have all of the BoW expansions, by the way. I think the game is pretty good, and can get a local gaming buddy to play it, whereas I cannot get him to play BattleLore. Go figure!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Derailing the topic a little bit, if I was to secure one and only one Goblin expansion, which of the three would you suggest?

Goblin Marauders, as it has killer ostriches and hyenas. Then again, I am partial to mounted archers and cavalry. It also has the Goblin Band, which is a critical morale unit.

Goblin Skirimishers has the band, spears, and slingers. I really like the slingers, but they seldom see battle, unless you do Specialists.

Of course Horrific Hordes has the most goodies, but is much more expensive. It has:

* 12 Goblin Halberdiers
* 12 Goblin Swordsmen
* 6 Ogres
* 6 Hobgoblin Cavalry
* 6 Hobgoblin Hyena Riders
* 14 banners
* Rules Booklet w/5 new adventures
* 2 Specialist cards
* 5 Unit Summary cards
* 15 Call to Arms Deployment cards

The Ogres are definitely fun, as are the Halberdiers, and you get the Hyenas, but I still think Marauders are the best.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
W:5 - L:5
badge
G o H a w k s !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be a voice of negativity in this discussion, but while I like to dream of a BLore future like everyone else, I doubt FFG will ever KS a BLore expansion. Why? Because I don't think their primary obstacle is $. It's focus/energy. As mentioned...
atsgamer wrote:

Seeing Days of Wonder Small World 2 KS makes me think that this is not beyond the realm of possibility. I am certain part of the problem is that FFG is overloaded with much more profitable projects for which they paid large licensing fees. But I also know that FFG cares about the gaming community as was seen in the Stronghold Merchant of Venus settlement. So, who knows? Maybe if we get some groundswell of support this could happen. Anyone know how to make an internet petition?

... Even if KS funded it, FFG doesn't want to put the manpower (or have?) into writing the rules, playtesting, etc. (or "re-envisioning" R. Borg's designing, rules, playtesting, etc. as the case may be). My view from the cheap seats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. If FFG is concerned about costs of production and extent of interest, they could solve both with no risk through Kickstarter


The thing is, FFG would still have to do a lot of prep work to launch a KS. FFG could crowdfund a reprint, but I'm not sure that KS would allow it.

OTOH, if someone were to KS a C&C game with a Sci-Fi or Three Kingdoms theme, that would be new, and could be done very nicely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Derailing the topic a little bit, if I was to secure one and only one Goblin expansion, which of the three would you suggest?


While the Ostriches are goofy fun, I'd get the DoW Horrific Horde. It's got the most stuff, and is the easiest to source.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
W:5 - L:5
badge
G o H a w k s !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Harrelson wrote:
I hate to be a voice of negativity in this discussion, but while I like to dream of a BLore future like everyone else, I doubt FFG will ever KS a BLore expansion. Why? Because I don't think their primary obstacle is $. It's focus/energy. As mentioned...
atsgamer wrote:

Seeing Days of Wonder Small World 2 KS makes me think that this is not beyond the realm of possibility. I am certain part of the problem is that FFG is overloaded with much more profitable projects for which they paid large licensing fees. But I also know that FFG cares about the gaming community as was seen in the Stronghold Merchant of Venus settlement. So, who knows? Maybe if we get some groundswell of support this could happen. Anyone know how to make an internet petition?

... Even if KS funded it, FFG doesn't want to put the manpower (or have?) into writing the rules, playtesting, etc. (or "re-envisioning" R. Borg's designing, rules, playtesting, etc. as the case may be). My view from the cheap seats.


You can't pay FFG enough to put effort into those things. laugh

It's funny. Because it's true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether we should laugh or cry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.