Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be a silly question, but:
The rulebook states that before starting Epic Play, the players must agree on a Power level.
It then proceeds and says that the basic level follows the normal setup rules.
Isn't this redundant? Am I battling semantics here, or is there something I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is redundant.
No problem: choose a meatier level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think the reason they included "basic play" mode there is to emphasize the difference between basic play and epic play. In effect, the "basic play" mode is just not using Epic Play rules at all, but having it there shows you how much different one of the real epic play variants is.

In short, yes it's redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if they hadn't put it in that redundancy, people would probably be complaining about the rule being vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should make 2 manuals for each game. Few page pamphlet with all rules, that casual players would read and enjoy the game... And 300 page rulebook in lawyer language with each and every possibility taken into account and without any ambiguity.

Perfect balance.

(though, honestly, I don't think we would see less rule discussions here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
And 300 page rulebook in lawyer language with each and every possibility taken into account and without any ambiguity.
Hey, you are speaking of Advanced Squad Leader!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, I guess they shouldn't have given a name to the normal setup, since it's not part of Epic Play anyhow.
How about this: Advanced is Basic, Expert=Advanced. Voila! Although this would create a semantic discrepancy. How can anything Epic be Basic? It's Epic, damnit!laugh
Just rationalizing their choice of words.

We'll probably compromise on a homebrewed variant 0f Epic Play: starting the quest with normal setup, and carrying over campaign rewards from 1st encounter to use in the 2nd(both the Overlord and Heroes) over the course of a single play session.

I don't particularly like the idea of starting with upgraded skills and equipment right off the bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.