Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found the answer to this question anywhere, including on the Eagle Website.

When building track, can you build PAST a city without stopping, or do you have to stop building your link as soon as your track tile touches a city in your build?

For example, can you build track North from Philadelphia three tiles to New Haven, or do you have to stop your build in New York when your tile goes next to the city?

Rules say: "The player stops building when he has built 4 tiles in that link OR he has linked to another city."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you link to another city you have to stop no matter how many tiles you built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverpenny wrote:

When building track, can you build PAST a city without stopping, or do you have to stop building your link as soon as your track tile touches a city in your build?

For example, can you build track North from Philadelphia three tiles to New Haven, or do you have to stop your build in New York when your tile goes next to the city?

Rules say: "The player stops building when he has built 4 tiles in that link OR he has linked to another city."

In order to link to another city the track has to properly meet one of the "ports" of the city. Therefore it seems to me you can build past a city just fine.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
silverpenny wrote:

In order to link to another city the track has to properly meet one of the "ports" of the city. Therefore it seems to me you can build past a city just fine.

-Dave

As long as you mean building past to not have a connection to the city you are going past!
In the example above, if you go into NY, then you must stop. However, you can go around (past) NY and continue to another city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

The previous posts accurately answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can build past a city without linking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in other words I'm allowed to build a track along the side of a city (adjacent to the city hex) and block entrances so others don't have access to that city?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but as long as all entrances for a city are not fullfilled ( not connected, up to 6 ) another player can always use more complicated tracks to get into that city or start from it. So, you make it worse but you don't block it completely and the price for building is the same.

The trick is to fill all the outputs of a city. Get in and out, but then the rule of only one link per round is there for that matter. Then and only then, that city is unreachable for others without using your tracks.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think you can go next to a city port (the little track beginnings in a city hex) without building into it. I can't find any rule about it, but I interpret those little tracks as requiring you to link to them if you build in the adjacent hex. Otherwise you could just wrap around a city to prevent anyone else from building into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Track running along the side of a city barely hinders access (at the least the one track directly next to it does nothing). The complex tiles would allow another player to build right out of that city. It takes an actual connection to a city to block another player's connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
Laurentiu wrote:

I don't think you can go next to a city port (the little track beginnings in a city hex) without building into it. I can't find any rule about it, but I interpret those little tracks as requiring you to link to them if you build in the adjacent hex. Otherwise you could just wrap around a city to prevent anyone else from building into it.

To my knowledge, that's not correct. You CAN build next to the "little tracks" coming out of a city without connecting them. Those "little tracks" -- you could also call them "ports" -- are still available for others to use with crossover tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. I thought laying tracks perpendicularly to another track to be illegal, as blocking plays were not covered in the rules. I extended this to the city ports as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
there is an example in the rule book that shows a track going past a city. The caption says that the move is LEGAL but does not connect to the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're referring to the 4th picture on page 6 of the rulebook, that is actually an illegal play, but it's not because it goes close to the city, it's because it goes over the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris duff
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
No, he's referring to picture 2.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.