Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Inheretence systems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just want to check a strategy...the tech says you can ignore only 1 prereq of the tech right?so they couldnt use it to get type iv drive straight away?so why not go after adv fighters instead wich you could have 2 round in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Inheritance Systems doesn't just ignore 1 prerequisite, it allows you to ignore ALL prerequisites. So if you somehow manage to pay for Inheritance Systems in the first game round, you could (if you are willing to pony up the extra 2 resources) get any Tech you want for the remainder of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hate it when you are right sigma...i was too lazy to open the game so looked through a strategy guide instead but you are right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magne Ellen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Racial Tech, Inheritance systems, as it is written on the card:

When researching technology using the Technology Strategy Card, you may spend 2 additional resources to ignore the Technology`s prerequisites.

On the GameKnight site: http://gameknight.com/?page_id=556 It says:

Racial Tech 2: Inheritance Systems (5) When researching Technology using the Technology Strategy Card, you may spend two additional resources to ignore one of the Technology’s prerequisites.

The wording is slightly different, but the difference is big. The Gameknight site is a great reference site for TI3 fans, but that typo line may be the root of any confusion regarding the difference between picking paying an extra 2 resources and choosing any tech, than paying an extra 2 resources and ignoring just one pre-requisite for a tech!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, if the GameKnight version were used (as a house rule or something), I would say the same rule would apply to it as applies to the "Focused Research" card (which reads "Spend six resources to ignore one prerequisite Technology requirement on the tech tree.")

Per the FAQ, you could NOT use Focused Research to get Advanced Fighters right off the bat; it traces prerequisites backwards through the tree.

Of course, I think playing it with the official card is better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Weddle
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it appears I played this wrong as well. I thought it was ignore One prerequisite tech to reach another or one of two if, both are required for a tech. Should have invested in this very quickly to get the deeper techs & pick and choose what I wanted. Not a big deal now. Good to know when I play these guys again. Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.