After some questions asked to the creators of these variants of civilization, i decide to resume the clarifications and new rulings inherent to these add-on.
This thread is about 15 new civs :
babylonian, portugese, carthaginian, maya, sioux, viking, zulu, Swedish, Celts -> ahdiabolo creation : http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76950/new-civilizations-si...
aztec, french, english, mongol, inca, persian -> hinnyboy creation : http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72919/new-civilizations-az...
and 3 new techs : scientific theory, guild, warrior code -> hinnyboy creation : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8645264#8645264
1. Scouts can explore villages without a battle occuring for 3 trade if your governement is republic. (According creator)
2. You gain a permanent coin token until the caravan marker still is on the city. When you use the caravan marker, you immediately lost the coin. Therefore, you only can have a maximun of 3 permanent coins. These coins, as they are permanent coins, cannot be invested. (According creator)
3. The invest from the bank loot ability is not an extra loot. It is chosen instead of another loot. Remember that you can only choose this special loot when you won a battle against a figure (scout or army) belonging to another civilization. (According creator)
4. The Viking's ability that makes them the attacker for outside battles only works for the purpose of placing cards. This said, the Vikings still win a battle if they "get attacked" (if they aren't the moving figures) and the result of the battle is a draw. On the same way, if the Mongols attack them in an outside battle, Mongols still get +1 to their hand size and Vikings place card after Mongols.
Incas (I don't talk about the special move ability because it affects the whole mouvement game rules. If you want to have some explanations about it, refer to one of the link above.)
5. The first 5 coins counted twice works for the purpose of trade after a research, for the purpose of some technologic abilities like "military sciences" "ecology", etc. It doesn't work for the count of an econ vic. (According creator)
6. They can build 3 cities without irrigation technology. You need irrigation technology to build the 4th city. (According creator)
7. The Aztec gains culture for killing a unit even if it
is saved at the end of the battle (with the Chinese
ability for instance). The Aztec also gains culture
for killing units when attacking a village. (According creator)
French (This point is still discussed)
8. The special investment ability of the french combined with the "seven cities of gold". (2 solutions at the moment).
a) These two cannot be combined. So you only get 2 investment you can place where you want (both on the same card). (According creator)
b) You get 2 coins invested which are each divided into two investments. So you can place 2 investments but not these two on the same card + again 2 investments but not these two on the same card. So the final possibilities are : 2-2 / 2-1-1 / 1-1-1-1.
9. French culture ability and free building. (Not discussed yet)
You get culture token(s) when you build a (or more) buildings for free (Great Wall, Jacques Coustaud, Amadeo Giannini, Taj Mahal, etc.)
Warrior code (These two points haven't been discussed yet.)
10. The Chinises cannot exchange the card they can save at the end of the battle. To be clear, the order is : end of the battle -> warrior code ability -> Chinese ability (take back a killed unit).
11. When Aztecs use (or are forced to use it if the oppenent uses warrior code on them) warrior code ability on themself, they may pick 2 cards and discard one of their choice.
12. The porcelain tower trade reduction only works on a single research you make. Combined with the ressource ability of scientific theory, only one of the two technology will be reduced. So you get a bonus of 5 trade less to research a single of the two technology. So the best you can have (with 27 trade and porcelain tower) is a lvl 4 tech + a lvl 2 tech [21+(11-5) or (21-5)+11], or two lvl 3 tech [(16+(16-5)]. (According creator)
13. (This point is still discussed)
Scientific theory and Greeks keeping trade ability. (3 solutions)
a) You cannot combine these two abilities. So if you use the ressource ability of scientific theory, your trade's wheel will come back to 0 or to the number of coins you have whatever the two technologies you have researched. (According creator)
b) You keep all your trade as long as the two technologies you researched have not been researched yet or is researched this turn. If one of the two technology has already been researched or is researched by another player in the same turn, you lost all your trade as normal.
c) If one of the two technology you have researched has already been researched or is researched this turn by another player, you only lost the trade belonging to this technology and keep the trade of the other technology you have researched and that noone else haves. (With this interpretation, before reveal which technologies you have chosen, put a marker on the one you decided to reduced with the porcelain tower ability). Therefore, you keep all your trade if both technologies haven't already been researched or are researched this turn.
14. (Not discussed yet)
Babylonians only get a single lvl 1 free technology at the next start of the turn, even if you have researched two technologies with the scientific theory's ressource ability.
15. (Not discussed yet)
Persians gain culture for the two technologies researched.
16. (Not discussed yet)
Scientific theory and GP Archimède.
You gain 6 culture tokens if both technologies you researched haven't been researched yet or is researched this turn.
17. You can move a city in the same turn you build it.
18. In the case you build a city on one (or some) of your figure : (2 solutions)
a) As normal, the involved figure is free moving 1 square away from the city center. Then if you move your city on your figure, the figure will again move 1 square away from the city center. Of course you have to finish your city move before moving the figure one square (to avoid a 1 by 1 square move like "i move 1 square on my army, then my army is forced to move one square, then i move my city again on my army, etc." where you could have a free 3 squares move for your figure in a very lame way. It's forbidden as we follow the same ruling as moving figure : you make the complete move of a figure before moving the next one, etc.). (According Creator)
b) You build your city, then decide to move or not. After this if a figure stands in the center of the city, it is moved 1 square away from the center. With this interpretation you don't move directly the figure that stands on the city when the city is built, but wait untill the end of the city movement to move the figure 1 square if it's still on the city center.
19. You can move a city if an ennemy army or scout stands in the outskirt, but the first move of the city must make the ennemy army or scout leaves the outskirt of the city. (The main ruling is : the city must be legally placed at all times and also during movement).
Therefore you can't move a city on a square (even if it's not your final destination) if there is a hut, a village, an ennemy army or scout, or the outer edge of the board, in the outskirt of this square.
You can't move your city trought water.
20. You assign huts and villages each start of the turn. Huts and villages assigned can still be used in the same turn. For exemple, you can assign a hut in start of turn and get +2 trade and then use this hut (if it is silk) in tradephase on Horseback Riding and get +9 for a total of +11, and still get a bonus of 2 hammers during city managment.
The +2 culture bonus for assigning a village only works if your city devote to the art during management city. You don't get 2 culture tokens at the start of the turn.
21. You get culture tokens each time you heal a unit whatever the source of the healing (Celts healing ability, animal husbandry, biology).
If you heal more than one unit with biology, you get 2 culture tokens for every units healed.
22. You can copy any GP (except General) on the board, so even ennemy's GP.
You can copy a GP standing in your capital outskirt.
If the GP you copied is killed by culture card or war, you still keep the copy untill the end of the turn.
Having of copy of a GP (f.e. an artist) doesn't allow you to keep your GP card (artist) in the case where your "real" great artist is killed by war or culture card.
23. You don't get an extra move for killing an ennemi scout (because there is no battle). It's the same case as code of laws where you don’t get a coin when you defeat an enemy Scout without a battle occuring (although you do get loot for doing this). (Not yet approuved)
24. You don't get extra move after winning a battle where Swedishs were the defender or for a battle that occurs during city management. They only get this extra move during the mouvement phase and after winning a battle where they were the attacker. (Not yet approuved)
25. If there isn't any GP on the board during your Sot and a player after you place a GP on the board during his SoT, you cannot copy it. You can only copy during your SoT, not during other players SoT. So if there isn't any GP on the board, and a player place one during his SoT, you can only copy it if that player plays before you or if it's you that place the GP during your SoT. (Not discussed yet)
26. You get a random ressource from the market for spending 5 trades. So you roll a dice (1-4) or whatever you like to decide which ressource you will pick.
27. They add +1 to their battle hand size when they are considered as the attacker. When you fight against a walled city, you are considered as the attacker. The rules argues that the attacker is the one who moves his figures on the board on villages, other player figures or cities.
28. When fighting outside a city against Viking's figures, Mongols still get their bonus if they attack. The rule that the Vikings are always meant to be attackers outside cities only has the purpose to let them play last.
So Mongols get their bonus and Vikings play last. (According Creator)
29. You draw the 3 free huts before placing your capital (like Egypt that draw their wonder before placing their capital). If ever you draw a "Friendly Barbarian" hut and want to take a free figure, you can do so and place it in your capital outskirt regarding stacking limit. This free figure will be allowed to move during the first turn's movement phase.
30. Engineering and Guilds
You cannot combine these 2 things. You cannot build something and use the remaining hammers to get a coin on guild or get a coin on guild and use the remaining hammers to build something. (According creator)
31. Engineering and Scientific theory
You cannot combine these 2 things. You cannot build something and use the remaining hammers to get trade via scientific theory or get trade via scientific theory and use the remaining hammers to build something. (According creator)
32. Engineering, Guilds and Scientific theory
You cannot combine these things. You cannot get a coin on guild and use the remaining hammers to get trade via scientific theory or get trade via scientific theory and use the remaining hammers to get a coin on guild. (According creator)
I would like to thank hinnyboy and ahdiabolo for these add-on that make the game more enjoyable, even if the game already was very enjoyable ^^
This ufaq is still open as many points are still discussed or haven't been discussed yet. So i already thank anyone who will give contributions of any kind to this thread.
I already apologise for some langage error that you can mention, so i can fix them.
- Last edited Mon Jul 1, 2013 3:10 pm (Total Number of Edits: 39)
- Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 pm
Super Mario Kart Fan
Thank you very much for opening this thread. You find every question which could arise using the new custom stuff.
Its good to see that the CIV-Community is still awake and that people are enjoying Hinniboys and my work.
I've add some mention "(According creator)" to indicate the source.
About points still discussed, some received a creator response but there is not yet a consensus (like 7. and 11.)
It will be nice to have the creator's response about the "not discussed yet" points (8., 9., 12., and 13.), so i can add an (According creator) precision ^^ and/or edit these points.
Super Mario Kart Fan
4 investments would be way too overpowered.
Scientif theory and Greek ability (Point 11)
Edit : this is point 12...
- Last edited Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:08 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm
4 investments would be way too overpowered.
I know but you have like 5% chance to have that bonus (and if it's the case, other players will take account of it, and will agress you). Let's just vote, even if everyone can apply it's own rule ^^. There is a "similar" case with the confusius academy and greeks GP ability where the 2x2 (then only keep 1-1) is accepted (in the civ rules book), but it's not as awesome as 4 invests...
Luck is a part of the game (i like to reduce it but other players of my group don't ^^). It's like getting Orville wrigth or Leonidas early in the game. Or getting st Francis as Gp with the american (you got 15 culture at the first turn).
Personnaly, i prefer play without relics, and add some specific rules about GP.
- Last edited Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm
Point 12 :
I think the b) solution is the fairest. c) is too strong, and a) too weak (as tech vic always been weak.)
- Last edited Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27 pm
Are you guys just printing the player cards out on paper and laying them on an existing player card?
In our group we have just purchased a carton sheet and paste the printed starting title on it.
For the civilization sheet, we printed it on photo paper and just paste the front and back together. For the wheel, we printed it and paste it on carton. To make it turn, you can find what we call in french "pinces parisiennes", it works perfectly.
- Last edited Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:06 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 am