Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my first game of Roads to Gettysburg and we are using the "new" GCACW Basic Rules v. 1.1 as our rules set (it is supposed to have updated and included all the rules from prior modules).

The problem, here, is the charts. In the RtG chart set, when performing an Extended March roll, the worst a unit can become is Disorganized, while in the "new" chart included with BAtC, the table has different modifiers and a different set-up.

So . . . is there an official ruling on which chart to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the charts from BATC are updated for the version 1.1 rules so I would use those. I think that the artillery modifiers have also been changed through the course of the series (starting with SIV?), so the RTG charts would also have the old modifiers (I am going from memory so I could be wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's correct. You should always use the most recent charts when using the most recent rules. The BAC charts should be good for any game in the series (though they won't cover special game-specific Advanced Game charts like Random Event Tables).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own BATC (and the entire series) but shouldn't there be a pdf copy of the Ver 1.1 Basic Game Rules, charts and tables available on-line for all the owners of the earlier games? (Or am I forgetting a link somewhere?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is that the older rules and charts aren't needed . . . or so I thought. The purpose of creating Series Rules was to conflate all the nuanced differences between the modules into one ruleset and update the charts to reflect recent official changes to the rules (such as Extended March).

I find that knowing once set of rules is much easier than five sets of slightly different rules. In fact, it appears that the "slight differences" are incorporated into the Series Rules where appropriate, which actually makes it easier to reference.

Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always go by what rules are available in the box that comes with them. It's too tidbit to check every difference between different versions. Just get on with the games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a problem with doing it either way, but I think in the long run, using the most-recent rules and charts for all modules is easier; using one rules set that incorporates all the rules of the other modules - I just wasn't sure if new charts should be used or not.

I suppose a person who is intimately familiar with all the modules and their nuances might prefer to use the ones that came with the game, but why not use the most-recent rules that theoretically benefit from years of play and testing and then only have a single source for rules?

In any case, to each their own!

Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.