Popular Tags: [View All]
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Original Post
Quote:
Scheme: Secret Wars

Setup: Villain Deck contains 8 twists. Choose 3 Masterminds and shuffle their 12 Tactics cards into a separate Tactics Deck. Place this deck face-down next to the Villain Deck. Randomly choose one of the 3 Mastermind Cards, and place it face down so that its identity is unknown.

Twists 1-7: Draw the top card from the Tactics Deck and have it enter the city as a villain.
Twist 6: In addition to drawing a card from the Tactics Deck, flip over the Mastermind Card. If any of the Mastermind's Tactics escaped the city, add that Tactic's Fight to the Mastermind's Fight.

Special Rules: When a Master Strike is drawn, another Tactics Card enters the city. Place the Master Strike Card underneath it. The Tactics card gains +1 Fight. You cannot attack the Mastermind before it is revealed. You need only defeat the Mastermind once.

Evil Wins: 8 Scheme Twists.

==================================================
EDIT: Corrected Version

Scheme: Secret Wars

Setup: Villain Deck has 8 twists. Choose 3 Masterminds and shuffle their 12 Tactics cards into a separate Tactics Deck. Place this deck face-down next to the Villain Deck. Randomly choose one of the 3 Mastermind Cards, and place it face down so that its identity is unknown.

Special Rules: When a Master Strike is drawn, a Tactics Card enters the city. Put the Master Strike Card underneath it. The Tactics card gains +1 Attack. You need only defeat the Mastermind once. You cannot attack the Mastermind before it is revealed.

Twists 1-7: Top card from Tactics Deck enters the city as a villain.
Twist 6: Reveal the Mastermind Card. If any of the Mastermind's Tactics escaped the city, add that Tactic's Attack to the Mastermind's Attack.
Twist 8: Evil Wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems interesting, but a bit convoluted to me. Do I have a mastermind set out in the Mastermind portion of the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
frogmanmike14 wrote:
Seems interesting, but a bit convoluted to me. Do I have a mastermind set out in the Mastermind portion of the board?

In the Mastermind section, there would only be the single unknown Mastermind Card. It remains face-down until Twist 6. Each Mastermind has 4 Tactics. Since there are 3 Masterminds, there will be 12 Tactics Cards in all. These 12 cards will make up the Tactics Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if Magneto escapes twice, the mastermind version of magneto would be 27? 9X3

I do like the idea of battling the mastermind cards through the city slots.

Edit: Brainfail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I'm reading this right, Twist 6 could reveal Loki (10 Strength). For each Loki Tactics card that has escaped, Loki gets another +10 Strength. Right?

20 Strength (let alone 30 or 40) is completely out of hand, even if you only have to win once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
frogmanmike14 wrote:
So if Magneto escapes twice, the mastermind version of magneto would be 30? (I think magneto is 10?)

I do like the idea of battling the mastermind cards through the city slots.

Yes. Magneto has 9 Fight. If 2 of his Tactics cards escape, and he turns out to be the Hidden Mastermind, then he gains +18 Fight, for a total of 27 Fight. This would make him very hard to defeat. It is difficult but possible to create a 27 HIT Combo. That is why it's important to not let Magneto escape too many times.

Dave41fan wrote:
So if I'm reading this right, Twist 6 could reveal Loki (10 Strength). For each Loki Tactics card that has escaped, Loki gets another +10 Strength. Right?

20 Strength (let alone 30 or 40) is completely out of hand, even if you only have to win once.
Essentially, you would have to come up with a massive combo in order to kill the Mastermind if his Tactics escape the city more than once. I played this Scheme twice (2-player mode) and won both times. Give it a try and see how it plays.

I suppose you could do +5 Fight for each of the Mastermind's Tactics that escape. But, I think you'll find that not many Tactics are able to escape.

EDIT:

I just played a game with a 30 FIGHT Loki. I was one turn away from winning when I drew the 8th Scheme Twist. I had given Loki a Bystander using Deadpool, and I was about to defeat him using Black Widow's rare card which enables her to defeat any villain or Mastermind holding a Bystander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also getting a bit focused on your wording of attack points. The rule book refers to the +(claw marks with a number) as attack, not fight (not that it matters as it is displayed as the clawmarks on the card). A bit nitpicky I know, but this looks like it could be a really interesting scheme. I'll have to try it this weekend. It has a not sure if I'm going to win or lose every time sort of feel. Maybe someone will make a mock-up for print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I applaud that you were able to make up a whole new mechanic to how to go about fighting the mastermind. I think this game has lots of potential for fan-made content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
frogmanmike14 wrote:
I also getting a bit focused on your wording of attack points. The rule book refers to the +(claw marks with a number) as attack, not fight (not that it matters as it is displayed as the clawmarks on the card).
I just corrected the OP. I guess the Rule Book refers to the slashes as Attack for heroes and as Attack/Power for villains.

frogmanmike14 wrote:
Also I applaud that you were able to make up a whole new mechanic to how to go about fighting the mastermind. I think this game has lots of potential for fan-made content.
My experience with 2-player mode is that Schemes like Cosmic Cube or Portals to the Dark Dimension are fun, yet very easy to beat. Rarely does a villain escape, and even if one does, it has little impact on whether you will ultimately win the game. You can ramp up the difficulty of these schemes by adding more twists to the villain deck, but this only has the effect of shortening the game.

With this Secret Wars Scheme, the hope is that you will have a more challenging time of preventing villains from escaping the city since there will be three masterminds to deal with. There is an incentive to keep the city clear because any Mastermind Tactic that escapes may be part of the Hidden Mastermind's plan to power up. Thus, your success or failure in defeating villains will ultimately decide how strong the final boss battle will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idrinkdrpepper wrote:
My experience with 2-player mode is that Schemes like Cosmic Cube or Portals to the Dark Dimension are fun, yet very easy to beat. Rarely does a villain escape, and even if one does, it has little impact on whether you will ultimately win the game. You can ramp up the difficulty of these schemes by adding more twists to the villain deck, but this only has the effect of shortening the game.

This is where my trepidation comes from. Villains escape much more frequently in the 4- and 5-player games, particularly early. Schemes about escaping villains are notably more difficult with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Dave41fan wrote:
This is where my trepidation comes from. Villains escape much more frequently in the 4- and 5-player games, particularly early. Schemes about escaping villains are notably more difficult with more players.
I don't think there is any scheme whose difficulty scales correctly with the number of players. This kind of problem can be mitigated by adding more cards to the villain deck (to increase the spacing between scheme twists) or by adding an extra city space. I do favor the idea of having the Mastermind's Scheme tied to what's going on in the city, because it adds tension to the game. In a scheme such as Unleash the Power of the Cosmic Cube, you could potentially let every villain escape the city and still end up winning. This means that the city is just a carnival game that is quite separate from the Mastermind's Scheme. It's basically a shooting gallery that allows players to rack up victory points before they decide it's time to KO the Mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor MacDonald
msg tools
This is a very fun Scheme so I had to make a card for it. Hope you enjoy and thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Thanks very much for this. The card looks great. I'll definitely print it out for my game when I get the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor MacDonald
msg tools
Made that "Attack" update on my card and re-uploaded for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.