Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game, I currently use a combat system where each side is rolling 2 dice and each roll of 4+ kill a unit. Player's alternate rolling until a player retreat or is annihilated.

I played with some euro gamers and they found that there was too much die rolls. They suggested using the following system: attacker roll 2d, remove casualties, then each defending units kills an attacking unit. Survivor wins. Additionally, you resolve combat separately when invading from multiple cities allowing a player to have more rolls if he surround his enemy.

This method seems much better because it implies more strategy, large stack of units harder to destroy and that system is already used for resolving invasions. It was used in invasions to make the resolution faster.

So it clearly seems a better option. But I think I am capable of making my game support both system without any rule conflict with technology cards or other rules.

So I was wondering if it was actually a good idea to have 2 different possible combat system in the same game. The new system could be the official game rule, and the old random system could be the optional rules.

That would make the game more flexible and allow people to play with more randomness or more strategy.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like optional rules that add to the game, rather than change it like that. I prefer feeling like the game is complete the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say stick to one system and test it further. Some people actually like more dice rolling. The cons for rolling more dice is that it consumes more time to resolve, but the results will be closer to what your game has in mind. The other method sounds cool, but you better check whether or not it'll upset the balance of your game as a whole, since the results vary between those two methods by quite a large margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Different rules for different situations, no prob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some testing and the new system seems better. I was just wondering if I should make some effort to make sure the system is backward compatible. Apparently not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You made the mistake of playtesting outside your target audience and got conflicting advice.

you cannot make a game appeal to everyone. Your theme will kill it, your lack of theme will kill it, dice? dead. No dice? DOA.
Wood? Plastic? cubes? Minis? Tiles? Cards? Hexes? Squares?

Go back to your original game design and playtest it with your target audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
You made the mistake of playtesting outside your target audience and got conflicting advice.

you cannot make a game appeal to everyone. Your theme will kill it, your lack of theme will kill it, dice? dead. No dice? DOA.
Wood? Plastic? cubes? Minis? Tiles? Cards? Hexes? Squares?

Go back to your original game design and playtest it with your target audience.

This is spot-on. I can't tell you how many rainbows I've chased tweaking a system to accommodate certain interests that don't reflect the majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to playtesters I'm always brought back to this quote:

"Talk to playtesters to find out problems, but ignore their solutions. Talk to other designers to work out solutions, but ignore their problems."

In my opinion people who want to play Eurogames will play Eurogames. People who want less chits and more dice will play something else. You need to decide on what route you want to go, and try to generally stick to that direction regardless of feedback.

Personally I like more dice rolling, so look, an opposite opinion from what you got already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Talk to playtesters to find out problems, but ignore their solutions. Talk to other designers to work out solutions, but ignore their problems."

laugh

I always take people's advice with a grain of salt. Generally, when I make a change is because I beleive in it. In my case, it had positive effects on many other elements. So I am currently weighting the pro and cons. Personally, I like both systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Campbell
msg tools
Warbringerd wrote:
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Ever, you can't please all of the people, ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
So I am currently weighting the pro and cons. Personally, I like both systems.

That's always the hardest, when you like a mechanic just because it's awesome. I've had a couple instances of that where I had to force myself to just save the mechanic for another game because it didn't fit in with the original.

On the upside if you stick with one combat system you potentially have the other as a cool mechanic for a later project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik McGrath
msg tools
designer
My one truism:
When you are making a game always design a game that you want to play.

So if you like dice rolling and the mechanic does what you want it to then keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Multi-combat system is not a new thing in board game. I used several different combat systems in my game Advanced Wizard's Quest. We have the standard player vs player battle with rolling dice. Then I added an auto-battle system for player vs A.I. battle without dice. Besides, we have the hero combat system (duels) between heroes/monsters & siege combat system for besieging castles. None of these are optional rules. I don't see any problem with them so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My one truism:
When you are making a game always design a game that you want to play.

So if you like dice rolling and the mechanic does what you want it to then keep it.

I tested the new system and I like it. It seems to fix other issues too. So I think If I would have to chose, I would take the new system because the game will be more elegant this way.

But I am just wondering for special powers and abilities if I should make the rules compatible with both systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
qkent wrote:
I concur, one always needs a morgue of ideas.

Haha I like the morgue term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
In my game, I currently use a combat system where each side is rolling 2 dice and each roll of 4+ kill a unit. Player's alternate rolling until a player retreat or is annihilated.

I played with some euro gamers and they found that there was too much die rolls. They suggested using the following system: attacker roll 2d, remove casualties, then each defending units kills an attacking unit. Survivor wins. Additionally, you resolve combat separately when invading from multiple cities allowing a player to have more rolls if he surround his enemy.

Why not use both? (but not in the way you suggest).

Alternate combat, starting with the attacker.

The player can choose to either
- roll 2d6 and on each 4+ he removes an enemy unit (potentially eliminating zero, one, or two units)
- or not roll dice and remove one enemy unit
- or withdraw, removing your units from combat

Then the next player can do those options. Keep going back and forth until a player withdraws or loses all their pieces.

This allows combat to be handled the same way by both players, and allows players to take risks if they want. This also allows you to make modifications based on factors (how many units attack, are they flanking, etc).

Maybe allow the player with more units to roll a free extra die, or have them kill on a 3+. Or change the rules so the number of dice rolled is a factor of number of units (1 die per unit, or 1 free kill per two units), which allows people to mix and match (I have 3 units, I can roll 3 dice, or I can get 1 free kill and 1 die roll).

The specifics would be determined by how big a stack you allow.

-Munch "the key is, whatever combat method is used should be fair to both sides" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Something similar is done (at least I heard so) in Samurai Battles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.