Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Variants

Subject: A twist on single player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: player [+] rules [+] fun [+] single [+] changes [+] adjustments [+] [View All]
Kariss Rosenburg
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I just recently played a single player game. I thought it was a too predictable and lacked some components I love about the game. I came up with a way to put back some FUN in it.

I use 2 dice by assigning numbers (2-12) to the resources and then rolling before each round. When the # is rolled I move the starting player token to that spot and return the resources to the bank (as if another player took them). This gives an urgency to pick spots that have accumulated numerous resources and makes you change your strategy when resources you needed or wanted have been removed.

Here is how I assigned the #'s (if you roll a number assigned to a resource that hasn't come up yet then just roll over)

2 = Wild Boar
3 = Vegetable
4 = Reed
5 = Stone stage 2
6 = Wood
7 = Fishing spot
8 = Clay
9 = Sheep
10 = Grain
11 = Stone stage 4
12 = Cattle

I knew certain numbers have more chance of being rolled while other numbers have less chance. I chose which resource to put on which number based on that information. I feel the way I assigned them works well but feel free to change it up a bit if you want to.

I even found myself making comments like "Shit, I really needed that Wood". LOL

Try it out and see what you think. Let me know if you like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
ADMIN NOTE: Moved from Rules to Variants Forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do if you're on an early round and you roll a # for something that's not available yet? (i.e., what if you roll a 12 on round 3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kariss Rosenburg
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You just roll over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Grain and vegetables don't accumulate, so there is nothing to return to the supply for those spaces. Do you mean that the starting player token also blocks the action space?
It is an interesting way to add a sort of ghost player without having to track any extra information. How do you know if you've won? Does it still depend on beating a fixed score? I think the fact that the distribution is weighted actually helps to reduce the random factor in scoring; you need to account for the materials most likely to be lost to the ghost player.
Maybe the ghost player could score points for the most common rolls: 7 scores 5 points, 6 and 8 score 4 points, etc. On average this would score 42-43 points for the ghost, but it means you should be able to score more points in a game where the ghost takes the common actions, and fewer points in a game where the ghost takes rare actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kariss Rosenburg
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
No they do not accumulate and yes the starting player blocks those spots. I wasn't concerned with "winning" since I was playing single player and playing for fun. If you are wanting a WIN then it could be a fixed score or something like you suggested for the ghost player to score based on numbers rolled on the dice.

I just thought it made it fun and challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks interesting to me and I will try it out next time I play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds interesting. the only problem i see is, that you lose the goal. when i play solo games, i know a score below 55 is bad, above 70 is good. with your rule it depends too much on what is rolled. it might be even better to roll once, make a list and then use this list for every future game (ie round 1 wood is taken, r2 fishing, r3 clay, r4 grain and so on). this way you can still set a senseful goal for your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
make a list and then use this list for every future game

Or even roll at the beginning of each game. Then you still get a different game each time, but you have some advance knowledge of what you need to do. If you roll for all the rounds of the next stage during each harvest, that recaptures some of what happens in the original game, where it gradually becomes harder to tell what someone will do more than 2 rounds ahead.

For Kariss, I think it's a great original idea that definitely mixes up the gameplay. It lets you enjoy the side of the game that rewards preparation and having to change your plans to react to the game that gets lost in the 1-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I quite like this. I would definitely upgrade the 2-wood back to 3-wood, and find another way to make the random choice which takes account of the rounds that don't come out early (and probably penalises wood a bit more). But it would make for a novel twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a small deck of cards would work even better? Adding cards for the spaces which become available later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kariss Rosenburg
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It would be hard to preroll since you do not know what will come up each round just which stage. I have found that any score over 60 is good and could be considered a win. Just like when you play with other players you just adjust your stradegies and when you collect resources and in what order. The scoring doesn't seem dependent on the dice rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.