Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had this come up today and I think I played it correctly but not sure.

Dark side's turn (mine).

Defender's units are all focused.

I have no units on the board.

I target an enemy objective in the conflict phase and then play
Backstabber (Action: During an engagement, play this unit from your hand as a participating unit on your side.
Reaction: After this unit enters play during an engagement, deal 1 damage to the engaged objective.)

The rules (page 18) state:
The active player cannot initiate an engagement if he is unable to declare at least one attacker during the "declare attackers" step.

Although I didn't have a unit on the board at the moment I initiated the attack, I was "able" to pay for Backstabber and declare it as an attacker in the "declare attackers" step.

Should all be good, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niranth Banks
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
As you were unable to declare an attacker, you can not attack. Backstabber comes in as a participating unit, not a declared attacker. Finally, the time for player action is after the declare attackers step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify/confirm, the first available action window during an engagement is after step 2, which is after attackers can be declared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The declaring of the engagement was not legit, since you need at least an attacker.

Also, not implying you got it wrong, but remember that even in a legitimate engagement you still need to pay the resources in order to play backstabber (contrarily to Human Replica Droid, for instance).

Best
Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.