Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so I've got the game (new, unpunched!) the rulebook, and a willing soul ready to play this.

What is the best strategy for tackling these rules? I mean, I'm not looking for someone to explain the rules to me, but how do you go about learning them in the first place? It seems like just reading cover-to-cover a lot is going to be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much it. Old school game; old school approach.

Whatever works for you.

Me? I give the rules a good solid read through with the understanding that some things will not be retained. Then I play a game or two accessing the rules along the way.

Then, the second comeplete read usually provides some revelations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt about it, this is a read the rules through expecting to miss stuff and then play the game incorrectly while learning.

You shouldn't hesitate to ask questions or for explanations here though. It's a pretty active forum and should at least help prevent you from playing the wrong way for years on end.

Once you play it through though it gets much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
Once you play it through though it gets much easier.

And that's when the fun really begins ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a little while to realize - it seems there's a flowchart on the back cover of my rulebook that points out the exact order of a turn and which rules to reference during that phase.

I might sit down with my willing fool opponent and just trudge through this flowchart, one turn at a time.

For anyone who has that flowchart handy, is this a valid strategy? Can you think of anything explicitly missed by that flowchart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AZrugger wrote:
It took me a little while to realize - it seems there's a flowchart on the back cover of my rulebook that points out the exact order of a turn and which rules to reference during that phase.

I might sit down with my willing fool opponent and just trudge through this flowchart, one turn at a time.

For anyone who has that flowchart handy, is this a valid strategy? Can you think of anything explicitly missed by that flowchart?

David,

I use that list at the back of the rule book all the time, and I have been playing the game for years. It really does help keep track of the progress of the various phases. You will find, though, that you are always referring back to the rule book during the turn regarding the mechanics of moving units around.

The Year Start Sequence can be mind-boggling, so plan to keep track of that stuff on a separate piece of paper. Some guys use a spreadsheet to keep track of things.

Good luck and good gaming!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
In process of another re-read myself, and i've probably played this game more times than any wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I assume you have the 4th edition? If neither of you is at all familiar with the game, it can be a bit of a difficult 'boot strapping' operation. You need to learn enough of the rules to be able to start a game. Game situations will naturally motivate further reference to the rules and so on. Of course, once you've learned the 'rules', you still need to learn how to play well (i.e. strategy and tactics to employ).

There have been many useful suggestions posted already. Although it may seem a bit counter-intuitive it might help to have a quick read of the 2nd edition rules. While there are substantial differences, one advantage was that they were of a more 'conversational' style. While being more imprecise, IMHO it did give you a better 'overview' if you were completely unfamiliar with the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what I have is 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The 4th edition is basically just the 3rd editions with some errata incorporated. You can safely use the latest version of the rules seamlessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.