Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Battleground or the historical spin-off, Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is a great bargain, and there are many different armies available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars 1v1 (with 2 maps can support 4 player) - 16 unique armies. Wonderful game.

To get started you can buy any one of these:
Summoner Wars: Master Set 6 factions - Nice board map.
Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs 2 factions - paper map.
Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins 2 factions - paper map.

Other armies can by bought separately and 'reinforcement decks' can also be bought if you wish to customise your army.

All decks are the same so you know what you are getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Given that the typical tabletop games are costly and require a good deal of space/storage, I was wondering if there are any games that recreate the collectible tabletop experience but use cards or tokens instead of miniatures.

The entire point of TactDecks: Reign of Heroes is to give you a maximum minis experience with minimum headache, allowing for things like terrain, building fortifications, and even engaging your enemy(s) on multiple levels of play (rather than just a "flat" board, you can climb or destroy terrain).

It's also available right now as a free PNP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontiers uses tokens of various sizes to represent troops and vehicles. It's pretty cheap on Tanga at the moment...

Tanga Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about Battleground (as mentioned above). The unit tokens looked pretty cool when I saw them in person.

Mythic Battles also seems to be a miniature game of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Summoner Wars is a great bargain, and there are many different armies available.

My only real complaint is there are no terrain effects, but I don't think the intent was ever to make a real miniatures wargame replica. Outside of that, it is the only one I feel the need to play. It's just so quick and easy to play without any real fiddly aspects. The simple fact that you can buy the Master Set, all 16 factions and 8(?) reinforcements packs, thin sleeve everything, and still store it in the Master Set box is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:

Though I personally dislike Battleground, I have to say that this REALLY is miniature gaming gone card(board). This card game gets as close to miniatures gaming as it can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground matches your description exactly. Summoner Wars does not.

Summoner Wars is a board game. It has rectangular spaces, you get to move X number of units per turn, etc. It is reminiscent of miniatures games insomuch as the cards represents units and heroes, but it is in no sense a miniatures game. (Note that I like Summoner Wars quite a bit.)

Battleground, on the other hand, is purely a miniatures game in every respect, it just happens that you use cards instead of miniatures. In fact, if you look in the gallery, you can see pictures of people playing the game with miniatures instead of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:
Summoner Wars is a board game. It has rectangular spaces, you get to move X number of units per turn, etc. It is reminiscent of miniatures games insomuch as the cards represents units and heroes, but it is in no sense a miniatures game. (Note that I like Summoner Wars quite a bit.)

On the plus side, I get to avoid this:

I honestly wished more miniature games used grids for easy calculations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg: The Wheatfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Given that the typical tabletop games are costly and require a good deal of space/storage, I was wondering if there are any games that recreate the collectible tabletop experience but use cards or tokens instead of miniatures.

Mage Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Agro
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
andrewgr wrote:

I thought the point of Battlegrounds was to avoid that as well. Only using measurements based on the length and width of the card. I could be wrong; never played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you use the length and width of cards, but of course you can use a rules instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Mirefox wrote:

Mage Wars

Well. I would not consider Summoner Wars a miniatures game, Mage Wars even less so.... (then again, Mage Wars really looks like a great game and will be my next acquisition...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jaynes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
andrewgr wrote:

And I would say that "that" is the whole point of tabletop miniature games. So while a game say like Warmachine and Summoner Wars certainly share some DNA, they are are entirely different species that appeal to different gamers in different ways. A Summoner Wars player may find something like Battleground fiddly and vague, and a Battleground player might find Summoner Wars rigid and constricting. Both game types are perfectly viable, it just depends on what you are looking for.

If the OP wants something that more closely resembles a tabletop Minis game like Warmachine or Warhammer then I would look into Frontiers or Battleground. If the OP is looking for something closer to HeroClix or Mage Knight then Summoner Wars is a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also sources of top-down images you can print off, making "cards" kind of like those Battleground: Fantasy Warfare ones. http://www.juniorgeneral.org/ has historical (and some fantasy) ones; http://wargamedownloads.com/cat.php?cat=28&pics= also has some from various planes of reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't Up Front meet the needs of the OP? Individual soldiers in a firefight in changing terrain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess not so, as up front does not simulated miniature wargaming either, it is, like summoner wars, played on a fixed grid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Summoner Wars, whether a smaller box or the big box "master set"

Wings of War: Fire from the Sky---uses cards for planes, though miniatures are available if you ever want bling; there are several versions of WoW, but not all are in print unless I'm mistaken; I'd say the box is medium-small(ish) and you can usually find one of the editions on sale somewhere online (even Amazon)

Forlorn: Hope---blasting aliens on a space station; 2 different maps available, lots of pieces, stored in a polybag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:

This whole thing hinges on the term "recreate". How similar do you need them to be?

Also, why does being collectible matter?

Most people have been answering the question for tabletop minis games in general and ignoring the "collectible" part so I will do likewise.

IMHO none of them really recreate the feel of an actual tabletop minis game. There are numerous examples of games that are "sort of like" a tabletop minis game. Battleground, Summoner Wars, Magewars, some of the Command & Colors series that use wooden block "tokens", etc... But they are only general approximations. I would say that for someone who hasn't played such games it might seem similar, but no one who's played "the real thing" would be fooled for an instant.

I'm not sure about your original statement that minis games are necessarily costly and require a lot of space & storage either. Also, after seeing so many people pledging an average of over $300 each for Kingdom Death Monster I'm no longer sure what constitutes an expensive game anymore

Costly depends a lot on the scale of the game. There are a lot of "skirmish scale" games that only use a few models per side and they are not that costly.

Space also depends on the scale of the game. It's true that games which simulate bigger battles may want a 4x4 foot or even 4x6 foot table, there are also games that only want a modest 2x2, 2x3, or similar. Collectible minis games often take place on grid maps made of paper and take even less space.

Storage depends on number of minis and size, storing a few minis does not take much space. Plastic minis (as in most collectible games) take even less because you can just throw them all in together as opposed to metal minis where you want each one separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incursion may fit the bill, it's cardboard standups. There is an expansion, but it doesn't strictly fit the bill for collectable.

Nice game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Guess not so, as up front does not simulated miniature wargaming either, it is, like summoner wars, played on a fixed grid

That's right.. forget I posted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best games in this category are Battleground and Frontiers, but those have already been covered.

A Call to Arms: Babylon 5 Space Combat is a miniatures game that shipped with cardboard ship tokens to let people play out of the box. It's now out of print, but the technique can be used for lots of spaceship or naval games. Actually, it could be used for most miniatures games, but sparse terrain and simple line of sight rules mean it works best for naval or "naval".

Diskwars and its many descendants aren't quite like a miniatures game, but they are close: analog movement, fighting, scenarios.

Imperial Crusade Armada and Freedom are like a cross between Battleground and Star Fleet Battles. They were offered through Kickstarters, which are now done, but you can still get print-n-play versions. With clear card sleeves, "laminating" shouldn't be all that expensive.

dboeren wrote:
Battleground, Summoner Wars, Magewars, some of the Command & Colors series that use wooden block "tokens", etc... But they are only general approximations. I would say that for someone who hasn't played such games it might seem similar, but no one who's played "the real thing" would be fooled for an instant.

I've played the real thing, and Battleground seems like a perfectly good substitute to me. Better command system than anything else I've played, too. I'm curious what makes you feel that it is inadequate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wootai wrote:
I thought the point of Battlegrounds was to avoid that as well. Only using measurements based on the length and width of the card. I could be wrong; never played it.

I've found it easier to play with a tape measure, for two reasons:
1) It's easier to determine the closest enemy with a tape
2) Archers can have long enough range that lining up all those cards is annoying

Not necessary, but convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.