Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New expansion owners, please give me your wise advice.
Is this a must have expansion for the game or should I play the base game a hundred times before thinking on adding anything else to it?
I'm really tempted to buy it, but the scarce free-time for playing long games frequently and my personal commitment for not buying new boardgames for a few months still stop me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least get a feel as to whether or not you like the game. If it's a yea... buy the expansion. If it's a meh (not so much)... pass on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really feel that this expansion adds a ton to the base game, however, if you don't have a lot of time to play, I would recommend you pass. Not because this isn't a great expansion, because it is, but because I feel like it adds a lot of depth for people who have played quite a few games of this. The additions might be lost on someone who plays this game only a few times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion is great (if a bit overpriced IMHO), but I would definitely recommend playing the base game several times before buying LoME.

If you end up really enjoying the base game, then buy LoME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way: I love the base game.
It's just that I don't have the time to play it often.
Thanks for answers up to now.

Does it add too much new complexity?
Do you play always with the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would always play with the expansion because it only adds to the flexibility of the game and can reduce the the chances of a blowout game.

It is entirely possible (though unlikely) to play a full game with the expansion and not use a single expansion element.

Like others have said the "new" things simply provide the players with more options.

You could in effect use an old strider sprint strategy using none of your expansion elements and compete with the shadow using his. Though it would be tougher on you than if you were to use the FP elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a person who made the mistake of buying the expansion before playing the game more. The expansion is for people very comfortable with the game as it adds even more to already deep game especially for the free people player. Personally I would play without it next time until I get the game down more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leo,

I don´t have the expansion (yet), but with the base game you'll have lots of fun and playing time with no game being equal. I would say play a lot of the base game and then start looking at the expansion.

Have fun and saludos hasta Chile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played base game about 12 times before getting the expansion. Once you've got the rules for the base game down I'd say always play with it. It lets you try out a lot of strats more effectively than before. Really the only problem is it does nothing to let you defend against a Rohan first strat since no companions can go there. Starting a companion in a country is an easy way for FP to use up dice that don't fit their selected strat by moving that country down to war with them (good use if you get lots of early palantirs and cards you don't meet the conditions for).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.