Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Playoffs Baby! Playoffs! F--n Right!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately it occurred to me that I have had remarkable success luring friends and family to broaden their gaming horizons through Memoir '44. Like other "gateway" games, Memoir is relatively easy to learn while falling outside the mainstream. People feel like they have tried something new and different, and that is good. Being two player, Memoir offers an intimate experience as well, which takes away the social fears some people have toward learning in front of a larger group.

But, I think the real ace-in-the-hole for Memoir is its use of unbalanced scenarios. It is almost as if there is a built-in handicapping system. The first-time player, using the stronger Allies in the Pegasus Bridge scenario, feels like they are playing well and succeeding almost from the start.

Can you think of other (non-war) games that offer a similar opportunity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) has a lot of asymmetric play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Asymmetric -- Ahh! That was the word I was looking for. It was stuck on the tip of my tongue and wouldn't come out. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And asymmetric play doesn't need to mean unbalanced play. It's just that each player gets their own thing so the newer player isn't trying to directing compare themselves to the more veteran players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
matthean wrote:
And asymmetric play doesn't need to mean unbalanced play. It's just that each player gets their own thing so the newer player isn't trying to directing compare themselves to the more veteran players.

To be fair, Memoir is fairly unbalanced all the way through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, asymmetric doesn't necessarily (and ideally shouldn't) mean unbalanced.

The OP's point was that it's advantageous to give new players a handicap advantage so they're more likely to win or at least feel they did well, which may result in them liking the game more. And if you can find a game with poor balance, you can do it without being obvious about it. If I'm playing chess with a newbie and play without my queen to make it more even, he's gonna notice that. He probably won't notice that a certain scenario in Memoir '44 favors one side over the other.

Of course, this all hinges on the idea that the new player is unreasonable (expects to do well in a game he has no experience in vs. someone who does), illogical (cannot be explained why this is unreasonable), and is probably immature enough that he needs his ego stroked in order to enjoy playing or agree to play again. It's sad, but unfortunately this is probably true more often than not though

Personally, if someone cannot understand or does not agree that a player who knows a game well SHOULD have an advantage over someone who is just learning - then I do not wish to play anything with them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

Of course, this all hinges on the idea that the new player is unreasonable (expects to do well in a game he has no experience in vs. someone who does), illogical (cannot be explained why this is unreasonable), and is probably immature enough that he needs his ego stroked in order to enjoy playing or agree to play again.

...I did say "family", right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about any LCG or CCG would work as the decks can be constructed to be unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The introductory scenario for Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game seems custom crafted for this very thing.

It serves as a comfortable introduction, and it's an easy one for the humans to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry

The scenario's favor the Confederates. One of the reasons that I think it is a good Father/Son game, dad plays the Union.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwfalcon wrote:
Battle Cry

The scenario's favor the Confederates. One of the reasons that I think it is a good Father/Son game, dad plays the Union.

That's one I've wanted to try for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy wortley jr.
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
i am not sure it is totally about whether someone wins a game in order to like it. i think at least for the people i play games with, it needs to be fun and maybe have a good theme or mechanic.

recently we had gotten gloom. some unique game mechanics and cards (at least to us they are unique). my friend and i love it especially if you play while telling a story. the rest of your little group (another friend and some family members) are not that interested in the game.

finding the right game for the right person is a bit hard. unless the person is really interested in learning. i have a friend that will come over on card (poker) nights but will only play certain games. he refuses to learn new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwfalcon wrote:
Battle Cry

Since my Dad was born and raised in 'Bama, he would think the game is balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.