Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hope you don't think its rude, but instead of starting a new thread, I'd like to invite you to instead join us in this recent discussion on the topic: Rethinking PnP (Print and Play) Now That Consumer 3D Printing Is Within Reach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a couple of threads on this now.

The general consensus is that the technology has not yet caught up with the sort of quality needed for a good minis set. Baser pawns and shapes? Sure. But minis? Not really yet. If you dont mind lots of flaws in the pieces then its less a problem.

Then there is the cost which is still prohibitive.

Maybee in 5 years. But the cost factor is still a problem. A single spool of material costs 50$ for Makerbot and the unit itself is around 1000-2000$ depending on the model and if you self assemble or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

The general consensus is that the technology has not yet caught up with the sort of quality needed for a good minis set. Baser pawns and shapes? Sure. But minis? Not really yet. If you dont mind lots of flaws in the pieces then its less a problem.

Then there is the cost which is still prohibitive.

Maybee in 5 years. But the cost factor is still a problem. A single spool of material costs 50$ for Makerbot and the unit itself is around 1000-20000$ depending on the model and if you self assemble or not.

Agreed. The quality and cost aren't quite there yet, but it won't be long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy of mine shot me this over, but better hurry if its something your interested in as there are only a few days left.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1682938109/robo-3d-print...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Omega2064 wrote:

The company in the other thread claims .2mm with +-0.5% tolerance over 5.5 inches (the maximum length of any side). That's pretty close to good for cartoonish minis certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A O
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you should email them and tell them they just sold 2 more units thanks to you.

Warbringerd wrote:
A buddy of mine shot me this over, but better hurry if its something your interested in as there are only a few days left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andols wrote:
you should email them and tell them they just sold 2 more units thanks to you.

Warbringerd wrote:

Hahaha, if only I could get some sort of kickback from the kickstart eh? Ya I'm really on the fence about get this or getting a desktop die cutting machine, if only I could afford both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish had the money for it. Looks good for quickie home tinkering. The striation factor makes it useless for detail work though. If they can defeat that then they will be more viable. Also cant print transparent due to the striation. Pity as I know a few who would opt in if it could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.