Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player game for a non-english speaker. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felipe L Hauck Araujo
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Hi y'all.
Me and my wife are new to boardgames, but, i usually tend to drown myself whenever i like the subject.

The thing is, i do understand english, but she does not. So, the gaming options are sized down, since brazilian game industry sucks big time. And pretty much everything is in english.

I got this frustrating experience where i tried to get her into Agricola, but the family game is not as exciting as the regular decks, and she "hated" it. so sad...

So i've been browsing here for inspiration. We love Catan, really love. We played a bit of carcassonne, but it's not as good as with 4+. We played a bunch of 7 wonders (but still the 3+ games are waaay better than the 2 player variant).

Recently, she got totally hooked on Ticket to Ride, which is a great game (specially for 2) but i'm trying to get her a more, let's say, strategic game.

Here's where lies my problem, she speak no english whatsoever. So, usually, card games (like agricola decks) are a problem.
Agricola would be the maximum in rules complexity and we're not into really themed games (like LOTR,DnD or SciFi), but i guess, if the game is good enough, we WILL try it for sure.

For quick ref:
we like Catan, 7Wonders, Ticket to Ride, Carcassone.
No card games or "arkhan horror"-type rules.

Sorry for the long post and thank you all in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is probably your best bet. Timeline is another exceptional game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm

Vinhos

The Castles of Burgundy

Village

Dungeon Petz

All use symbols and play great with 2.

Maybe Rivals for Catan? I know you're in Brazil but there's a Spanish version of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some games that my wife likes to play

Airlines Europe
Finca
Glen More
Jaipur
K2
Pandemic
Ra
Stone Age
Thebes
Tobago

Ask her what theme would she prefer and then pick one. Then another. Then one more whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Magic: The Gathering is published in Portuguese.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

I usually try to serve games with a low degree of in-game english to my family. They can read and speak english but it's not always easy for them to understand.

Games for two is difficult, but I can recommend:

Carcassonne - I know, you already tried. But try it again, it's a great 2-player game!
Hey, That's My Fish! - No in-game text and very easy to explain. Plus it's strategic.
Starship Catan - You'll have to explain some things to her but there really isn't so much different text in the game (besides the mission cards) and the symbols are like in Settlers of Catan.

But might I suggest looking for games that have a portuguese translation for in-game material here on BGG? I've come across a couple, like Isla Dorada and Nexus Ops.

Nexus Ops - Strategic and simple to learn. There's a portuguese ref sheet here on BGG for the first edition. I made a sheet for the second edition but it's awaiting approval of the admins.

And I keep saying this to everyone here in Brazil: Study some English! It's one of the most important languages in the world. And besides, watching movies in their original language is a lot nicer than badly dubbed versions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador all the way!

It comes with Spanish and English rules, and the board is double-sided with one side of the board in ALL SPANISH.

I take back what I said. The game actually doesn't come with Spanish rules. I think the quick-reference guide has both English and Portuguese. But the rules are relatively easy to learn and teach. The flip side of the board is in Portuguese too. But that will still be easier for her to understand. There are only about 6 words used on the rondel, and they're all cognate words from Portuguese to Spanish.

It's mostly language independent anyway.

The game is fantastic with 2 players to boot, and scales well up to 5.

I recommend the 2-player set up variant created by Tom Lehmann HERE.

Get it. Your wife will be encantada!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
thedacker wrote:
Navegador all the way!

It comes with Spanish and English rules, and the board is double-sided with one side of the board in ALL SPANISH.

The game is fantastic with 2 players to boot, and scales well up to 5.

I recommend the 2-player set up variant created by Tom Lehmann HERE.

Get it. Your wife will be encantada!

Spanish? or Portuguese? I don't know, they might be very similar. But given the theme, I assumed it was Portuguese.

P.S.: Thanks for the tip on the variant. I hadn't seen that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Navegador all the way!

It comes with Spanish and English rules, and the board is double-sided with one side of the board in ALL SPANISH.

The game is fantastic with 2 players to boot, and scales well up to 5.

I recommend the 2-player set up variant created by Tom Lehmann HERE.

Get it. Your wife will be encantada!

Spanish? or Portuguese? I don't know, they might be very similar. But given the theme, I assumed it was Portuguese.

P.S.: Thanks for the tip on the variant. I hadn't seen that.


Yeah, it's Portuguese. There are some very small differences in the words once I took a quick glance at it. I was fixing my post as you wrote this. ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
thedacker wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Navegador all the way!

It comes with Spanish and English rules, and the board is double-sided with one side of the board in ALL SPANISH.

The game is fantastic with 2 players to boot, and scales well up to 5.

I recommend the 2-player set up variant created by Tom Lehmann HERE.

Get it. Your wife will be encantada!

Spanish? or Portuguese? I don't know, they might be very similar. But given the theme, I assumed it was Portuguese.

P.S.: Thanks for the tip on the variant. I hadn't seen that.


Yeah, it's Portuguese. There are some very small differences in the words once I took a quick glance at it. I was fixing my post as you wrote this. ninja

Actually, I think Portuguese is preferable for the OP—it, not Spanish, is the official language of Brazil. (I believe Brazil is the only Portuguese-speaking, instead of Spanish-speaking, country in South America.) So Navegador is an excellent choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
thedacker wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Navegador all the way!

It comes with Spanish and English rules, and the board is double-sided with one side of the board in ALL SPANISH.

The game is fantastic with 2 players to boot, and scales well up to 5.

I recommend the 2-player set up variant created by Tom Lehmann HERE.

Get it. Your wife will be encantada!

Spanish? or Portuguese? I don't know, they might be very similar. But given the theme, I assumed it was Portuguese.

P.S.: Thanks for the tip on the variant. I hadn't seen that.


Yeah, it's Portuguese. There are some very small differences in the words once I took a quick glance at it. I was fixing my post as you wrote this. ninja

Actually, I think Portuguese is preferable for the OP—it, not Spanish, is the official language of Brazil. So Navegador is an excellent choice.


Oh perfect. Even better. So yes, Navegador.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you guys like gateway games. Small World is another gateway game that have components with visuals to help describe special powers. The game has a map specifically for two players.

The instruction manual comes with a lot of text to decipher the visuals, and luckily somebody uploaded a translated version to BGG. After handful of plays, you will probably start memorizing the powers and won't need the player aids anymore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Navegador and there is some text in Portuguese, but not the rules. (at least in my copy)

That said, the game wasn`t a hit among my friends that are more casual gamers as it seems to be the case with your wife.

I would suggest Stone Age. A light Worker Placement Euro with no text at all - besides the rules. It`s good with 2 and scales well up to 4. My group thinks it is a step up from Catan and Ticket to Ride while not being as heavy as Agricola. You can try it at boardgamearena.com

Cheers!

PS: Geek mail me in portuguese if you need any extra help.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
I own Navegador and there is some text in Portuguese, but not the rules. (at least in my copy)


Interesting. My family is mostly casual gamers and they loved it. I won't say it's a "gateway" game. But I will say it's only a small step up from gateway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.