Japheth Jones
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get into this game, but fear I will be playing solo quite a bit. I have heard from other posters that this game offers some solo play.

So, based on the solo scenarios, what amount of planes would be good to ensure that I can play most solo setups. I would get the RandA set and what? 2 planes, 3 planes and a bomber, 2 bombers etc. etc.

I know the planes I want, but just need to know what to get immediately to be able to play a bit on my own. Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand that the real beauty of the game is playing against other people, and the more the merrier in that... I've done demos with 10-13 which were great fun, where one-on-one is not particularly fun (and I recommend 2 planes per person there-- but only 2).

Solo play...

The Burning Drachens boxed version had some solo scenarios for balloon busting or ground attack. Those worked just fine.

Solo for fighter versus fighter is something I don't think I would recommend, except in learning how to play the game.

What would work just fine would be 'fighter versus bomber,' because the 'bomber' does not have a lot of choices anyway.

There are no 2 seaters for sale in the Ares world yet but you may still find some from Wings of War. There are the big bombers available and those not only look great but would work fine for solo.

I would take them (or 2 seaters) and have 1 or 2 flying together (2 would be better) and a very limited 'hand' of cards for them. Like:

3 straight
1 left
1 right
1 stall

And then you shuffle those up EACH turn and make your plans for what your fighters will do. You don't know for sure if the bombers will go straight or turn or move just a little bit, and by shuffling EACH turn, you won't be able to cancel out any possibilities. If you want even more variety, go with 2 left and 2 right, to the 3 straight.

That should be more interesting than attacking ground targets and still give you the experiences of flying against an opponent who may surprise you.

For yourself, having 2 fighters will be more interesting than one and avoid patches when you have no shots. And I recommend they be different fighters, both for visual and game interest, and because having 2 decks that have the same maneuver letter on them are just about certain to get mixed up in the process.

Hope that helps.

I do have some Series 4 and a couple Series 3 2 seaters available, if you can't find any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japheth Jones
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks for the detailed information. That is exactly what I hoped.

I am sure it is more fun with multiple people and I plan on doing that as much as possible. In fact, I sent out a post today to my game group to drum up interest. I just wanted to know about solo so I could practice and have a bit of fun on my own as well.

That bomber idea sounds great and I will give it a go.

As far as those two seaters, I haven't been able to find any old models on-line. Do you have everything they need to play? If so, I might be interested in those if I continue to have no luck as I would love to use two-seaters. How much is your parting price?

FYI - I will definately get both duel packs and a couple of bombers off the shelf as soon as those duel packs release. That way I can give that solo a try and have enough for a game with my friends. Man, a 10 player swirling fight would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith U.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a whole group of people playing a solo campaign over on Wings of Glory Aerodrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for Solo Missions are also included in the pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At http://www.wingsofwar.org/ are solo rules for nearly every maneuver deck.

So you can play dogfights vs. enemy fighters which are moved by the "AI".

Fred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred22 wrote:
At http://www.wingsofwar.org/ are solo rules for nearly every maneuver deck.

So you can play dogfights vs. enemy fighters which are moved by the "AI".

Fred

I'd like to add the the Advanced Version of Richard Bradley's solo rules work QUITE well. Very simple & intuitive & they do provide a challenging & somewhat unpredictable foe. I've had a number of enjoyable sessions with them.

And if one found the AI too easy to beat (which I don't) you could even give him better planes, give him Ace skills, use a Rookie pilot for yourself, etc.
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.