Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BBG,

there is not much information about this expansion around other than one review which is clearly written for guys who know the main game already. I am aware that this is the main target audience but still... Can you please sum up in some words how big of an impact this expansion is gameplaywise?

I played the original game back in the days twice and i kinda enjoyed it but felt like playing the germans is not as much fun as to their reactive nature. Sure there is the führers approval track that forces you to start some counterattacks once in a while but i always felt like there could have been more in store for the germans.

Is this personal issue adressed in this expansion?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot is very familiar. The beautiful map, most counters, combat and movement are unchanged. The allies have the initiative, Ike selects landing zone and objectives.

Yet many things are different. It starts 9 months earlier than the base game (September 1943 rather than June 1944). The extra time favours the allies who were always on a tight schedule.

Both sides units are weaker and fewer at the start. Beach defences and amphibious specials are also reduced. These changes are balanced.

Allied air and artillery are less overwhelming. I found them to be game winners in Liberty Roads. This makes life harder for the allies.

Both sides can shift forces from Italy. Germany can also draw from the Russian front. These all come at the cost of fewer supports.

The allies are the stronger side for most of the 18 turns till May 1944 except during the winter (turns 7-12). Quite a change from the original game where the allies were the stronger side throughout. Those should be 6 good turns for the German.

Perhaps the designers are trying to show it was wise to wait till 44 because the Germans could have numerical superiority at some stage and allied supports weren't as certain.

I would disagree, the Germans have lots to do. The occasional nature you suggest for panzer counterattacks is all wrong. Start them by turn 2/3 and maintain a rate of at least 2 a turn. Spend the extra supports replacing the armour steps lost. Hitler's approval makes me happy.

The German player wants to announce withdrawal from France as soon as the second landing is ashore to get the extra replacement and reduce Hitler's wrath for all the ports and cities the allies will liberate. The hit to Hitler Humeur for declaring it and 2 new beachhheads can be accommodated if you've been attacking regularly.

Managing the retreat back home is a tricky thing. The allies will always be looking to pocket parts of your army. You must beware of standing in place as long as you can. If you are on a railway you can pull out of contact right back to the Siegfried line. Pull back beyond PLUTO. You'll be delighted to see just how dependent the allies are on supports for offensive punch. Next turn launch panzer exploitation attacks to curry favour. Keep paying for strategic movement, that means you can't afford to get sacked. Accept that some static divisions won't get out. Get them to a port and festung.

The strategic reserve lets you repair panzers cheaply and exceed rail capacity during withdrawal. They could be fed straight back into the defence if you choose or you could try for a Bulge like counterattack. Their ability to appear at any HQ in Germany and still move might well catch the allies on the hop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNamara
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Colin! I just ordered Liberty Roads, and added this expansion to my order based on your post. Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ake arnouts
Belgium
gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Colin!

Excellent tips on strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmodeos wrote:
Thanks Colin! I just ordered Liberty Roads, and added this expansion to my order based on your post. Excellent!

How did that work out for you.

I have Liberty Roads, waiting to be forced into my Christmas stocking, so I have no clue about it being a good game or whatever allthough info on the geek seems to indicate it is.

Curently planning another order and I wonder if I should add this one if I need a game to get to the free postage treshold.

From the post I get the impression this makes it a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a cautious person so I'd suggest playing Liberty Roads first of all, its an excellent game as it stands. Then, if you like it go ahead and buy Roundhammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: Quick Review
Subject: Roundhammer. D-Day early!
Just thought I post would post a review of this expansion.BGG have declined this as a review, but I thought I would post this as a 'Reply', just to see if people liked it!

The base game is a great recreation of the 1944 situation facing the Allies . Overwhelming supplies/supports/men/tanks, but facing a large German army with lots of Tigers/panthers/costal defences-all waiting for them.

The expansion shows the German 1943 forces were much reduced, beaches less developed, panzers more like the 'friendly' Panzer IV, meaning the Allies could engage on farily equal basis. The Allies get less initial men, the supports are US & UK, rather than generic for both.

Nice touches include using the Italian front,where both players can balance units there vs the enemy to +/- the campaign situation/timeline, as well as possible reduced Allied shipping/replacesments for both sides, very well done.There are rules for East front Panzers coming in, but need to withdrawn, or face stiff penalities.Upgrades for the Panzers (& the Allies) , operation 'Mincemeat' (no, I had no idea either!, like 'Fortitude' from the base game)

Again great counters for the units,rule book very glossy/colour,with good play aids.

Overall a must if you have the base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.