Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a clarification on building... I understand that in order to build, you must use a card from your hand plus one or more from the display to start a build and you must have a card of the number you're building in your hand. So, if there is a 4 in the display and I have a 7 and 11 in my hand, then I can use the 7 with the 4 to build 11s and mark it with the number and color tokens. On the next turn I can then keep building, if possible, or capture using the 11 card in my hand (or a Wild). What I don't quite understand is the following part of the Building rules on Page 6 of the rule book:

Quote:
Of you are not able to do either of these actions on your turn (i.e. Continue the Build OR Capture the Build), you lose you build. Remove your build marker. The next player able to capture he build may do so on his or her next turn.

How is it possible that you are not able to at least capture the build on a subsequent turn if you must have a card of the number you are building in your hand when you start the build and there is no way in the game to loose cards from your hand? Just making sure I didn't miss something somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read through the 5-6 player rules. Since partners can trade cards, I guess it would be possible for one player to trade the necessary capture card to his partner after having already started a build. That would make it risky since the build would be lost if it couldn't be continued or a replacement card with the necessary capture value wasn't drawn. Is this the only way to potentially loose that card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
This was put in the rules because some players may want to strategically give up a build for a better play or may have made a mistake when building while not having the right card in hand. We may need an FAQ on this for advanced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
This was put in the rules because some players may want to strategically give up a build for a better play or may have made a mistake when building while not having the right card in hand. We may need an FAQ on this for advanced players.

Ah, makes sense now that I think about it. I hadn't thought about giving up the build on purpose for a better capture. Good to know! Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotarski
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time last night. Isn't there the possibility that you are forced to build even if you don't have a card that can capture it later.

If I can't capture anything from the display and do not already have a build I'm working on, wouldn't I have to start a new build? This happened in our game and it happened that I could start a new build but knew I'd have to give it up on the following turn unless ingot a really lucky draw.

Is this correct?

Also, you only add a card to the display when you have to give up a build you can't capture or continue, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jguitarstring wrote:
I played for the first time last night. Isn't there the possibility that you are forced to build even if you don't have a card that can capture it later.

If I can't capture anything from the display and do not already have a build I'm working on, wouldn't I have to start a new build? This happened in our game and it happened that I could start a new build but knew I'd have to give it up on the following turn unless ingot a really lucky draw.

Is this correct?

It was my understanding that the player could also just opt to play a card to the display. If it is a 1, 2, or 3, then the action would take place. However, looking at the rules again, I can see the confusion. It lists the 3 possible actions as Capture, Build, Continue Build/Capture Build. The designer can confirm, but I'm pretty sure that basically pass and discarding a card to the display, then draw back up to 4, if possible, is an acceptable action for the turn.

jguitarstring wrote:
Also, you only add a card to the display when you have to give up a build you can't capture or continue, right?

It would seem so based on the way the rules are written. However, I'm not sure if that is true or not based on what I said above. We will have to wait for Mr. Fitzgerald to confirm though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.