United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a six player game last night, all were new to the game and although we soon got the hang of the game turn and card mechanics we did make a few mistakes in the rules.

After a slow start, due to no location cards, we got out of the Safe House with a good number of weapons, or so we thought, and hit a storm of nasty zombies, thanks to a few Howlers (iirc) that attracted extra zombies and then it fell apart into a mass of Players acting and playing cards, clashing with each other as we fought to survive our first serious zombie attack.

The immediate issue we had was with the totally free form Player Action phase; no structure or players turns meant a free for all with the stronger players and characters making most of the zombie kills and getting the XPs.

One problem I have with many co-op games are the alpha players bossing about the weaker players, the hope here was the simultaneous play and real time clock would mean we just had to play and get on with it.

Even so we realized that we had to structure our actions to both make it a better game and to let everyone get the XPs so they could improve their character, so their character could contribute to the group and hopefully survive the game.

This was the only part of the game that caused a major post game discussion, the rest seemed to make sense and flow well, even if we did have to bend and break a few rules to win the game with 2 of the 92 minutes left on the clock.

What are other people experiences and advice with how they carry out the Player Action phase of the Player turn ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Go back in time and Kill Hitler!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am anxious to play the game this weekend and I expect it to be like what you experienced. The co-op aspect is an interesting dynamic and I anticipate it will change each game! I can easily see where the alpha survivors can take over and the whole idea of "one for all and all for one" can break down in the midst of howlers and herds!

I watch the series "The Walk-ng Dead" - as I'm sure everyone playing this game probably does and should! - and the chaos and self-preservation instincts you describe in your game is totally expected.

Can't wait to read other write-ups and will include mine soon!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
The chaos of the player turn is a design goal.

To survive, you must work together as players. There is no structure to ensure a smooth flow. This breaks down one of the walls separating you, the players, from the game world and puts you a step closer to the action.

If a player hogs all the kills and will not cooperate, other players will suffer and die. In the end, that lone player will probably also die.

If you do not plan your attacks to maximimze your damage, you will die.

If you don't distribute your Items with care, you will die.

If you spend time arguing with each other, you will die.

If you don't make good group decisions, you will die.

However, when you succeed, you will feel the thrill of a group that has worked together and overcome huge obstacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blanthorn
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Dan
You forgot to say...

If you do all work together, you will STILL die! Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.