mbmbmbmbmb
Return to the Void

Players: 1
Type: Solo
Length: Variable (about 4 rounds)
Map shape: Special (see below)
Countryside tiles: 8
Core Non-City tiles: Variable, up to 4
Core City tiles: Variable, up to 4 (Cities at Level 1)
Tile order: See Set-Up

The Story:

You feel it’s presence as soon as you pass through the portal on your dark mission, though you know not what it means. Dozens of cities have fallen to your might and magic, but this time feels different.

In less than a day, garrisons have fallen, mages cowed, and Orc Khan obliterated. Your speed and might are unparalleled. Across the days, your powers grow and your ranks swell with the disillusioned masses of the Atlantian Empire. By all appearances, everything is as it should be as you approach your waiting target - that towering monolith of a city that your enemies hide within. Even so, an unshakable sense of coming doom stirs in your heart. You become weaker as something within the city saps your strength and renders your powers impotent. All too soon, you discover why. The Atlantian’s have discovered a secret weapon that brings you to your knees.

They call it the Mage Stone, a shimmering rune of unimaginable power, crafted to devour the very essence of the Void. That which made you special, that which made you powerful, is gone. With your Mage Knight powers drained, you fall to the combined forces of Atlantian forces within the city.

The Mage Stone can sap the powers of the mightest Mage Knight, but it cannot destroy the resolve of those that rally to his cause. Nary a week after your capture, your prison is liberated by the peasants and town-folk who call you leader. Your only hope now is to escape back to the Void and warn the Council of the coming danger. Time is of the essence however. Your former captors will stop at nothing to hunt you down.

Map Preparation

Layout tiles in the following shape, face-down. The revealed city (where you start) can be any randomly chosen. The core tiles surrounding the portal are a random mixture of city and non-city tiles. Tiles are flipped face up when they are explored (by spending 2 movement points).

Round Order:

With your Mage Knight abilities drained, your speed and powers are reduced. While it took you mere days to reach the city, it will take you weeks to return to the portal. Each Round is three days long, and is represented by 6 tactic cards (the first 3 daytime and first 3 nighttime tactics). Form a deck of these tactic cards by arranging them in day/night order from 1 to 3 (Day 1, Night1, Day 2, Night 2, etc.). This is the Round Deck.

To begin the game, reveal the top card from the Round Deck (Day Tactic 1). Play a Turn while this tactic card is revealed. Daytime rules apply when a daytime tactic is showing.

On your next turn, reveal the next card from the Round Deck. (Night Tactic 1). Play a Turn while this tactic is revealed. Nighttime rules apply. In this way, you will work your way through the Round Deck until it is depleted. Ignore any text on these cards.

After the third night, when your Round Deck is depleted, the Round is over. If your draw deck is depleted in the middle of the round, you may not act for the remaining "days" of the week. You are exhausted and will need to rest before continuing. The enemy unit, however, will continue to advance on days that you rest. (see Hunted section below)

Special Rules:

• You start on the revealed city space (random color).
• The object of the game is to reach the portal.
• Use 4 mana dice in the source. They are rerolled each Round (see above).
• Start the game with a Peasants unit. These are the people who liberated you.
• Followers are reactivated each day (before your morning turn).
• You start the game with 0 fame and 0 reputation.
• All cities revealed are at level 1 and react like roaming monsters to your movements. (They will attack if you move from one adjacent spot to a different adjacent spot.)
• Advanced Units are added to the offering once a second city tile is revealed.

Hunted:

The city forces have been alerted to your escape. On the start of the second day, place a white city forces token face down on the city spot. This represents the forces organizing the hunt. On the start of the third day third (before you move), move the city forces token one space toward your character. On each subsequent "day" turn before you have acted, move them another one space toward your character.

This force possesses the Mage Stone and cannot be defeated. If they ever enter the space you are on, you are defeated. You are also weakened by the Mage Stone. If you are Knocked Out at any time during the game, you are defeated.

Scenario end:

• If the approaching city forces enter your space, then you lose the scenario.
• If you are knocked out at any time, then you lose the scenario.
• You win by reaching the portal.

For additional information about the Solo Scenario Content, see the Geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/151914/mage-knight-solo-sc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it would be easier to name rounds by digits (1-4) as you use day as a turn and as a round.
I understand there is no tactics choosing?
Other cities can be assaulted and entered?
They act as rampaging enemies? So how can we take over the city?
Standing on the nearby hex or moving into the city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for the questions.

For the rounds, I thought it would be easier to keep track of day cycles and night cycles by using the tactic cards. They are easier to handle than flipping the big reference board each time you want to replenish your hand. Also remember that a round is actually three full days (3 day and 3 night cycles), not a single day.

For choosing tactics, the same rules apply for leveling up. (choose an advanced tactic and gain a skill)

Any city besides the one you start in can be assaulted per normal rules. The only change is that the city will also attack YOU if you move from one adjacent space to a different adjacent space. If you defeat the occupants this way, you can move into the city on your next turn as if there are no defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are rampaging enemies, can you provoke them to attack even when not moving? Are they fortified then?
If there is no defenders do you still loose reputation and action in this turn?

And by tactics I mean cards you use in your "round deck". Those that give you benefit at the beginning of the round. Like Mana Steal etc...

Quote:
For the rounds, I thought it would be easier to keep track of day cycles and night cycles by using the tactic cards. They are easier to handle than flipping the big reference board each time you want to replenish your hand. Also remember that a round is actually three full days (3 day and 3 night cycles), not a single day.

I don't understand it now. So how many rounds we have now?
4 x 6 = 24 with unlimited turns?
Just 4 rounds with 6 turns each?

It would be better if you name rounds as "winter, spring" etc...
As this still confuse me. But I'm not native english

Just explain Hunted chapter in more details.
What do you mean by 2nd day there? Third round? Or First round third turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

Your two options are to assault the city, or to provoke them by moving from one adjacent space to a different adjacent space. You lose no reputation if they attack you, but you will lose reputation if you assault. If you move into an I defended city (because you already defeated them) you do not lose reputation.

You have as many rounds as you want, usually 4 in my play test. Eventually that approaching force will get to you, so you can't go forever. Each round is 6 turn (3 day cycles and three night cycles). See the explanation above.

The "hunting" force moves toward you on your 5th turn (which is the third day). They will move toward you again every other turn ( when it is daytime).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

I don't understand it now. So how many rounds we have now?
4 x 6 = 24 with unlimited turns?
Just 4 rounds with 6 turns each?

If I understood it correctly it is the last one - 4 round with 6 turns each (day, night, day, night, day, night).
You don't get any tactic cards in this scenario. (But a free villager unit)

Quote:

Just explain Hunted chapter in more details.
What do you mean by 2nd day there? Third round? Or First round third turn?
third turn of first round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play this scenario. Reading your text again I have some remarks...

Skully1130 wrote:
Return to the Void
Players: 1
Type: Solo
Length: 4 rounds

If I understood it correctly it would be better to write: 'variable (about 4 rounds)' if I manage to dodge the following city token long enough I can continue playing during round 5...

Quote:

Map shape: Wedge

better: special: see further down

Quote:

Countryside tiles: 8
Core Non-City tiles: 4
Core City tiles: 4 (City at Level 11)

That are 8 core-tiles but I only see 6 (one face up city and 5 face down brown tiles).
Later on you talk about cities at level 1 not 11 - which one is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the scenario. Got 102 points (72 fame + 30 (spells, locations,...). I finished during first turn of round 5. Could have managed to finish in round 4 then I would have had about 5-10 points less (one dead Orc, one healing, some crystals,...)

The hunt was quite fun. I had one moment where I wanted to make a sidestep (move to an adjacent space and return to my actual space the next turn) and had to count if it would be safe.

I was quite lucky. I started in the white city and conquered the keep in turn 1 (It was hard because I had nearly no combat cards and took 3 wounds). During game I found 2 other keeps so most of the time I had a huge hand and couldn't do anything useful during turn 6 of a round. The Last tile before the portal was the green city - 2 orcs + brown + grey enemy (played with city-level 1 (see post above)) - yeah! Worst case would have been to reveal the red city (So I couldn't reach the portal across this tile and get the blue city on the next tile...

One serious question came up:
If the hunting forces have two possible shortest paths to you, how do you decide which they take? (Once we stood on opposing sides of a lake - I wanted to go to the right so if they would take the left route I would have plenty of time if they took the right route they would cut off my path...

Just a few questions to make ure I played it correctly:
- you have 4 dice in the source but 3 units in the offer?
- the hunting forces move every second turn starting with turn 5?
- units refresh every second turn? (I got banner of fear for poor awsomeness!!!)
- cities have level 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review and feedback. I have updated the scenario with your suggestions.

For the path of the pursuing force, I always choose the most northern option when presented with two. This way they are slowly forcing you down toward the portal.

For your other questions:

- you have 4 dice in the source but 3 units in the offer? Correct
- the hunting forces move every second turn starting with turn 5? Correct
- units refresh every second turn? (I got banner of fear for poor awsomeness!!!) Correct
- cities have level 1? Correct, but you can increase them to increase the challenge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rojas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this scenario today, and it was fun. Really quick and got me thinking if I "really" had to go get some orcs/towers down OR flee quickly away to get to the Portal. It actually went really bad when near the portal I only had ONE single path to follow, since all other paths were blocked by lakes, then that only path was being watched by TWO dragons, and a mage tower. Really fun!

I reach the Portal by the 3rd day in my 4th Round, ended up at fame 68 (all added up).

Though I had some questions:

1) by REFRESH YOUR UNITS, I am assuming that once that unit is spent (either day or night) it won't be ready till next day. Correct? Since I used to ready'em every single Day/Night turn, thus getting a lot of help from the MOVE 2 peasants ability.

2) Which PATH does the HUNT follow? I mean, they start where you originally left the castle, but then? can they move through unconquered towers (mage/keep)? Can they move through dragons? do they enter cities? I mean, really need to define a bit more the way the HUNT goes after you. Myself I used a path like my hero did, but avoiding circling when possible.

3) Any chance to level up the HUNT army, so instead of a quick adventure you would just run away and level your hero and then face the hunters when powered?

I had an excellent time! I think I can upload some images I took whilst playing this first time.

THANKS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you liked it.

1) Correct, the unit becomes activated each morning (every other turn).

2) The movement of the hunting unit can be tricky at times. I mentioned before that I would always choose the most northern of routes when presented with more than one way of reaching you. It might be easier just to have them follow the same path you did. In any case, I would only let them move onto allowed spaces (no mountains, water, or spaces occupied by roaming monsters). Moving through cities should be fine.

3) When originally making the scenario I had the hunting unit set to a very high difficulty with the expectation that you would eventually get strong enough to face them. But then I decided I wanted the main goal of the scenario to be reaching the portal. That's why I made the hunting force invincible. Maybe in a sequel I can set it up for the MK to come back and destroy that mage stone once and for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavarnway
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played this yet, but I intend to. Seems to me the Hunter should move to the space with lower movement cost when presented with two options. If they are equal, roll a mana die to decide (warm colors for one space, cool colors for the other).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven B.
Germany
flag msg tools
HI everyone,

I started playing Mage Knight again and I found all these fan-made scenarios in this forum which is really nice.

I hope it doesn't matter that this thread is a little old.

Maybe someone who played this already can tell me, if they populated the starting tile with rampaging monsters.

My first thought was, that they would be populated as normal. But the red tile for example would be a harder start than the other because the draconum would force you to go up first.

So, how do you or would you play this?

Regards!
Sven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
utopialist ***
msg tools
designer
Hi,

I've tried out this scenario and ended it in 2 rounds... Because, indeed, it's too much random. It depends on the board you get far too much. If you get some nice tiles, you will just have to move, make no combat, and end up with 3 fame, winning (that what happened to me). That was a little disappointing, I must say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.