Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all those who didn't know, THQ's assets went up for auction. NeoGAF had the breakdown:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509654

SEGA Corporation has agreed to purchase Relic Entertainment
Deep Silver has agreed to purchase Volition, Inc. and Metro: Last Light
Crytek has agreed to purchase Homefront
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. has agreed to purchase Evolve
Ubisoft Entertainment S.A. (Ubisoft) has agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park: The Stick of Truth
Vigil Games had no taker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to say... I actually don't think any of those sold are actually bad fits (Although I'm kinda sorry for the Vigil team), I'd say I'm going to miss THQ, but honestly, provided the new owners don't fuck up the franchises, I actually think this might turn out well - for everyone not involved, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
No mention of Darksiders or Saints Row is worrisome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Huh? Saints Row goes with Volition, one would assume, and I'm pretty sure Darksiders just died with Vigil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Huh? Saints Row goes with Volition, one would assume, and I'm pretty sure Darksiders just died with Vigil.

Vigil is still looking for takers, but without an upcoming product and Joe Madureira leaving, things are pretty bad for them.

Rumor is that Take Two might have picked up the Darksiders IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vigil did have something called "Crawler" underway and it sounds like they were busting a gut on it to show off what they could do. A shame no-one seems to have bitten.

Aside from that it seems like good news for everything else. Take Two paying so much for Evolve is interesting imo. But yeah all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Vigil is still looking for takers, but without an upcoming product and Joe Madureira leaving, things are pretty bad for them.

Nobody bought the Darksiders IP.

Vigil laid off everyone yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
TheLongshot wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Nobody bought the Darksiders IP.

Vigil laid off everyone yesterday.

This is probably the most depressing news piece of the bunch.
I'm very sorry for THQ in general, but the fact that a studio has to close down because nobody wants its IP... that's just freaking sad, and I can't imagine how terrible that feels to those people.

That said, for me the most important info is that Relic went to SEGA. That's not ideal, but I guess that's still better than if it went to EA or Blizzard/Activision, or even Ubisoft for that matter. SEGA is growing to be an interesting entity, since it now will possibly hold the rights to both the Warhammer and W40K IP's... Here's hoping they won't go down the Asshole lane and take the awesome guys from Relic down with them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:

This is probably the most depressing news piece of the bunch.
I'm very sorry for THQ in general, but the fact that a studio has to close down because nobody wants its IP... that's just freaking sad, and I can't imagine how terrible that feels to those people.

It's not because no-one wanted their IP. It's because no-one wanted the *studio*. The IP will be sold at a later date.

No publisher wanted to take on the burden of paying the upkeep on Vigil while they develop their next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
That said, for me the most important info is that Relic went to SEGA. That's not ideal, but I guess that's still better than if it went to EA or Blizzard/Activision, or even Ubisoft for that matter. SEGA is growing to be an interesting entity, since it now will possibly hold the rights to both the Warhammer and W40K IP's... Here's hoping they won't go down the Asshole lane and take the awesome guys from Relic down with them...

People have noted that Sega also owns The Creative Assembly (Total War series) and that relationship has turned out well for them. (Tho people note that their console titles, Spartan: Total Warrior and Viking: Battle for Asgard haven't fared so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.