10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which games should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kago Tatsuya
msg tools
mb
I don't intend to create a flame war but which card game should I get to play with my girlfriend: Ascension: the chronicle of the godslayer or Android: Netrunner?

Personally, I like Netrunner(I would buy two core sets); however, due to its intricate system, I think my gf, who is a very casual gamer (the type that spends half an hour on temple run), would turn away from it.

Ascension is fine with me but -I don't know - it seems incomplete to me, not because of its art style. I feel like I HAVE TO buy the expansion sets for Ascension to be able to get the complete experience from the game, unlike Netrunner in which two core sets would be enough for a long time.

Anyway, please help me decide which game is best to play with my gf.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSan wrote:
I don't intend to create a flame war but which card game should I get to play with my girlfriend: Ascension: the chronicle of the godslayer or Android: Netrunner?

Personally, I like Netrunner(I would buy two core sets); however, due to its intricate system, I think my gf, who is a very casual gamer (the type that spends half an hour on temple run), would turn away from it.

Ascension is fine with me but -I don't know - it seems incomplete to me, not because of its art style. I feel like I HAVE TO buy the expansion sets for Ascension to be able to get the complete experience from the game, unlike Netrunner in which two core sets would be enough for a long time.

Thank you

I play the most with my wife and my best friend. Wife thoroughly enjoyed Ascension. We played Netrunner once. I was ecstatic about Netrunner. I wanted to play with anyone and everyone. She, however, wasn't so thrilled. Neither before nor after. I would strongly suggest Ascension over Netrunner based off of my personal experience. The ease of Ascension makes it one of my go-to games. Easy to teach, fun to play, and yet strategic enough to keep me entertained. The theme is excellent, and it just flows well and plays in a good amount of time. Ascension has become one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Gardunia
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are completely different games. Ascension is a deck builder and Netrunner is a 'pre-built' deck game. Aside from the fact they use a lot of cards, there's not a lot in common between these two types of games.

Also, there is no reason to buy multiple core set of Netrunner than I can think of. The core set comes with 7 (I think) different decks, which I would give quite a fair amount of replayability before needing to buy any expansions.

Deckbuilders, in my experience, are more friendly to 'casual' gamers, because they tend to start out fairly simple and gradually grow more complex as the game progresses. This makes learning curve low. We have a good amount of women in our play group and they LOVE deckbuilders (except for Dominion, oddly enough)

Prebuilt decks, out of the box, tend to be higher complexity right off the bat, because you're dealing with 40 plus cards and their various combinations from the beginning. The Custom deck creation part just adds to this.

I've heard Ascension is similar to Legendary play wise? I haven't played the former but I've played a lot of the latter and Legendary takes 5 minutes to teach initially with maybe another 5 progressively as new things come up, so super easy to get into but a growing number of options as things move on.

Another thing to consider. Netrunner is strictly a 2-player game. I don't know offhand about Ascension but most deckbuilders support at least 4 people, so at least for us that means they get more table time, but again it's a pretty clear separation of game types (deckbuilders tend to be totally different games with 2 player as they are with 3 or 4 or more... that's good or bad depending).

My instinct would be to steer you toward the deckbuilder unless your girlfriend REALLY digs the cyberpunk/Android theme, then it's a tougher choice.

Hope that's helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kago Tatsuya
msg tools
mb
Yeah, I think my gf would lean on the side of Ascension, too.
So, which Ascension box should I get because, if I understand correctly, each expansion box is itself a stand alone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't much matter which version you get. The expansions are actually stand-alone games for two players. All are great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kago Tatsuya
msg tools
mb
In term of complexity and depth, which one should i get or not get?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of complexity the first base game Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer is the simplest, but the others are not much more complicated until you combine them and even then they are rather simple to learn and play. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSan wrote:

Thank you

My personal favorite for two players is Ascension: Return of the Fallen. It introduces the Fate abilities for interesting ways to shake up the Center Row, and some neat ways to manipulate cards that have been sent to the void. In my eyes its the perfect two-player Ascension experience. It'll be less expensive for you, and comes with a neat official solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
In terms of complexity the first base game Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer is the simplest, but the others are not much more complicated until you combine them and even then they are rather simple to learn and play. Enjoy.

I would agree. Go with the original. Honestly, they are all fairly cheap on Amazon. The most you will probably spend is 25 a game. I think the core game introduces everything, and each expansions adds just a little to the mix, but you don't want to add anything right off the bat, so take it one step at a time.

Also, you definitely don't need two core sets of Android. In fact, that would be pretty much pointless. You also don't have to get the expansions for Ascension. Rather, wait and see just how much you both like the game, and then think about the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly prefer Storm of Souls. I think the art style got more refined in that one, and the cards are more varied and interesting, without getting to confusing or complicated. It introduces events, which can add a little bit of twist to the play.

I also don't think you need the expansions, unless you really want to play with 6 people. Otherwise, you are fine with any one of the two core games. We got Return of the Fallen, but it rarely ever got played. I thought it was a bit boring and small on card selection compared to the core games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.