Michael Robison
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, fellow geeks!

I've recently purchased WotR and have two games under my belt so far, once as Shadow and once as FP. My friend and I have had a blast playing and can't wait to get deeper into the strategy of this amazing game, but during our last session, we came across some cards that we weren't quite sure how to resolve. I'll explain our questions and how we eventually used them, but I would love some expert opinion on what the specific rules are for each card.

1. "Devilry of Orthanc" battle card
The description for the card says "Play if an Isengard Army unit is in the battle and the defending Army is in a Stronghold. In our last game I was playing the FP and my friend played this card. My friend had an Army in Helm's Deep where I was making my attack. He decided to fight a field battle as opposed to retreating into a siege. I claimed that since the card states that the "...defending army is in a Stronghold..." that he would not get the bonus without being besieged. He read the card as being in the same region as a Stronghold. I gave him the bonus because I had him far outnumbered, but who was right in this instance?

2. Discarding Eye/Fellowship tiles due to card effect
The other situation we had concerns about was when a card stated that a tile was "discarded," i.e. "Foul Thing from the Deep." The card states: "If the tile shows an Eye or is a Fellowship Special tile, discard it without effect." When this was played, an Eye tile was drawn, so we set it aside and added it back into the pool when the Fellowship reached Mordor. I couldn't find in the rulebook or FAQ that a tile is ever completely removed from the game, just that the standard tiles are only added again if all of them are drawn. Did we play this right? Are the tiles left out to be possibly added later or are they removed from the game entirely?

Our first game was plagued with rulebook-referencing and questions answered by the FAQ, so we've got a pretty good handle on the game for our next round tomorrow night, but these are the two big questions that have stuck out across our playthroughs.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- klown_slayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The defending Army must be in the Stronghold itself, being in the region isn't enough.

2. You played it correctly. Only EYE tiles removed through the FP Event Card "Challenge of the King" are removed from the game permanently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Robison
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I knew I could count on you, Kris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.