Subject: newb Q - The Heron Games spring sale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Skink
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
only been here at BGG a few weeks (though it seems a lot longer!) and I have bumped into a few threads where people are saying the are saving for the Heron Game sale

so does it happen every year? is it worth building a few brownie points at home with my other half? and what sort of stuff might we see?

t.i.a. folks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens around the end of March, lots of very new very reduced games, well worth saving for, also Keith is a very nice person to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Skink
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks jonathan - sounds bad

I better start thinking up an alibi or secret delivery mechanism

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just use the reasoning that I always use on my wife, that they are an investment and you need to keep them a few months prior to selling, she always seems to forget, still have the games Think I am lucky....

Only problem is I have nowhere else to put games now so have to only buy the games that I want......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Killian
United Kingdom
Wednesbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on here for about a year now and have no idea what the heron sale is.

Care to enlighten me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerBotK wrote:
I've been on here for about a year now and have no idea what the heron sale is.

Care to enlighten me?

It's the annual sale in March of Heron Games: http://www.fwtwr.com/store/index.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Killian
United Kingdom
Wednesbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do most stores do a similar thing? And how do I find out when it's launched? I trust the geek will make sure I'm aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KillerBotK wrote:
Do most stores do a similar thing? And how do I find out when it's launched? I trust the geek will make sure I'm aware.

Different webstores have sales - continuous, regular or annual. Here are my favourites:

http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/guru-special-offers-72-c.asp
http://www.iguk.co.uk/overstocks.aspx
http://www.pevans.co.uk/Games/SpecOffer.html#Top
http://www.shiregames.com/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodspe...
https://www.spiele-offensive.de/Kat/Sonderangebote.html
http://www.fwtwr.com/store/special-offers.asp [this is where the Heron sale will appear]
http://www.splotter.nl/ [nothing on here at the moment]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bennett
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
MULE - 1983 - never surpassed!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Heron Games March sale has been well worth a look over the past few years - Keith usually emails out the whole sale list to his mailing list late on the last day of February - its worth getting on the mailing list which I am sure you can do just by sending him a request via "Contact Us" on the herongames.co.uk website - good items go fast and he updates the website as things sell out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is actually a 'mailing list' section on the site - you can signup there..

EF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest tip I can give you having been a part of this for the last 2 years is this - don't hesitate! Stuff goes really quick, although there is occasionally a second wave. If you see it, buy it or wave it goodbye as the best items go in the first hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems interesting. I wonder what their shipping rates are to that large continent on your east.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to flesh things out a bit. Keith runs the sale each March in order to clear his inventory for two reasons, first, he does a stocktake in April for his year end, so having less to count is useful. And then secondly it helps him have extra room for stock after that to take to the UK Games Expo.

Keith runs a slightly different system to other stores. When you order and item from the website, its not something you will pay for straight away. Its more like and enquiry, first Keith goes and literally inspects the stock to make sure its undamaged etc and then he mails you back with a price including postage and packing. I was the beneficiary of this once when my Dominion box was found to have what looked like a pencil/pen hole in the bottom of it. This is slower but works and reserves your stock for you.

The sale is truly limited stock, so as another poster suggested, don't hesitate. Most things included in the sale don't restock and so sold out means just that, you missed the chance. Don't panic if you don't get an instant reply, during sale times the rush to buy is huge and Keith only has one pair of hands.

Finally, if you go to the UK Games Expo, (and if you don't, wise up, its great stuff) go by the stand he has every year and say hello. There are sometimes some bargains left that he takes with him. Last year there were chapter packs for the various FFG LCG games for around £5 each, a friend purchased 22 of them!! , so its not just rumour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
This seems interesting. I wonder what their shipping rates are to that large continent on your east.

That is the great thing about Heron games. He only charges for the postage exactly so you "put through" your order, he emails you the postage and then you confirm the order if you're happy with the postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Thomasson
United Kingdom
Near Tring
flag msg tools
badge
Good boy, Braetach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who has asked to be added to the mailing list. I have an admission though - there were so many new messages on the list that I thought I was getting spammed/attacked by some program, so anyone who asked to be put on before 10.00am this morning may not have been added... but just ask again, and if I find I have already added you, any extra work is self-inflicted.

To clarify, when the sale starts I mail everyone on the mailing list with a link to the sale page, rather than sending you the sale list itself. You will be the first to be notified.

Keith
Heron Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Skink
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sorry Keith

and sorry to any folks who were planning/hoping for bargains this year - sounds like their might be a bit of competition (next time I might just keep my mouth shut . . . )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
LittleSkink wrote:
sorry Keith

and sorry to any folks who were planning/hoping for bargains this year - sounds like their might be a bit of competition (next time I might just keep my mouth shut . . . )

Hey, on the other hand, the more business goes there, the better for all of us. More sales, more discounts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keiththomasson wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has asked to be added to the mailing list. I have an admission though - there were so many new messages on the list that I thought I was getting spammed/attacked by some program, so anyone who asked to be put on before 10.00am this morning may not have been added... but just ask again, and if I find I have already added you, any extra work is self-inflicted.

To clarify, when the sale starts I mail everyone on the mailing list with a link to the sale page, rather than sending you the sale list itself. You will be the first to be notified.

Keith
Heron Games

How do we know if we've been added - are we supposed to get a confirmation message?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Thomasson
United Kingdom
Near Tring
flag msg tools
badge
Good boy, Braetach!
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
How do we know if we've been added - are we supposed to get a confirmation message?

I'll be sending out the weekly news message late tomorrow or Saturday morning - if you don't get that, then drop me another line. There have been quite a few requests :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Thomasson
United Kingdom
Near Tring
flag msg tools
badge
Good boy, Braetach!
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, it is useful to have full names when you sign up for the newsletter. Having six people just called 'Peter' on the system can make it difficult to figure out which Peter is which...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sssshhhhhhh!!!

Stop telling other people as it means more competition for me!

It's a great sale, with great customer service, speedy delivery and annoyingly you always just miss the best bargains as some other lucky sod individual has beat you to the punch.

Now tell no more people, for I wish to win the 'who can buy the most and pray his wife doesn't catch him and beat him to death' meta game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
That is the great thing about Heron games. He only charges for the postage exactly so you "put through" your order, he emails you the postage and then you confirm the order if you're happy with the postage.

Keith recently refunded some of the postage cost for an item I'd ordered after he realised it could be shipped a cheaper option. I'd already happily paid the postage quoted so this was a real bonus. Passing savings on to the customer is top class service in my opinion.

Thanks Keith!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.