Popular Tags: [View All]
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

9.6.3 states that for a Routed unit, "Its Combat Strength is reduced by 50% (round fractions up), both when attacking and defending."

Which part is rounded up, the reduction or the remainder? I.e., is the effective combat strength of a Routed three-factor unit one or two? Thanks,

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Which part is rounded up, the reduction or the remainder? I.e., is the effective combat strength of a Routed three-factor unit one or two?

I believe it would be two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
Which part is rounded up, the reduction or the remainder? I.e., is the effective combat strength of a Routed three-factor unit one or two?

Half of 1 is 0.5, rounds up to 1.
Half of 3 is 1.5, rounds up to 2.
Half of 5 is 2.5, rounds up to 3.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance, the issue is that the rule is ambiguously worded, it is not clear whether you round the reduction or the final halved result (it makes a difference). Perhaps it can be rewritten for the living rules when the time comes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no objection to that, but somebody is going to have to suggest an alternate version because I see no ambiguity at all in the current wording (probably more a testament to my poor math skills than anything having to do with the rule or your complaints about it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
I've no objection to that, but somebody is going to have to suggest an alternate version because I see no ambiguity at all in the current wording (probably more a testament to my poor math skills than anything having to do with the rule or your complaints about it).

The ambiguity is whether "(round fractions up)" refers to fractions in the combat strength after reduction, or fractions of the reduction itself. If you thought it was the latter you would think "3 is reduced by 50%, which is 1.5, I round that up, so I reduce by 2, so the final strength is 1".

A possible rewording is "Its Combat Strength is reduced by 50% both when attacking and defending. If the resulting Combat Strength is fractional, round it up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys

The rule reads -Combat Strength reduced by 50%(round factions up) when both attacking & defending.

So a combat unit with 3 sp which is reduced 50%(half) becomes a 1.5 and thats rounded up to 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Guys

The rule reads -Combat Strength reduced by 50%(round factions up) when both attacking & defending.

So a combat unit with 3 sp which is reduced 50%(half) is then a 1.5 and thats rounded up to 2

I'm sorry but whats so darn difficult in that?

Maybe Lance & I just have been with it so damn long but it reads simple and straight forward to this old grognard

Kim, it's the way it is phrased: "Its Combat Strength is reduced by 50% (round fractions up)" - as Chris, Scott, and myself note, it's not clear whether the rounding is applied to the 50% removed or the 50% remaining. For a 3-strength unit, are you subtracting half (1.5) rounded up (2), leaving a final Combat Strength of 1? Or are you subtracting half (1.5) leaving you with 1.5, rounded up to a final Combat Strength of 2?

It's evident from Lance's response, and yours, that the final value is rounded up. Simply stating "A Routed unit's Combat Strength is halved (round fractions up)" avoids the ambiguity.

At this point any curious souls will spot this thread and therefore no worries all around, but in a reprint or future modules, I suggest tweaking the rule as written.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
"A Routed unit's Combat Strength is halved (round fractions up)" avoids the ambiguity.

An entirely reasonable suggestion -- I'll pass it along to Alan for consideration (with favorable endorsement). I'll echo Kim's sentiments (albeit a little less emphatically) that I don't think the wording needs to be altered, but I'll concede that I'm probably too close to the problem to see the ambiguity.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:

An entirely reasonable suggestion -- I'll pass it along to Alan for consideration (with favorable endorsement). I'll echo Kim's sentiments (albeit a little less emphatically) that I don't think the wording needs to be altered, but I'll concede that I'm probably too close to the problem to see the ambiguity.

I understand and appreciate it - I checked and the wording dates back to the beginning of the series in the misty dawn of VPG. Just as you may be too close to see the ambiguity, I may well be too sensitive to the ambiguity itself. Anyway, thanks for the response!

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I deleted my testy(emphatically) part of the message. Sorry about that..I guess just too damn personally close to the series

As Lance said in a email to me we both know what it is but someone new might wonder on it. After 5 years it's 2nd nature but I still do have to go back for a refresher crash course if a few months between testing/designing jobs to make sure I'm still playing it right(a sure sign of middle age)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I had the same interpretation problem as the original poster. I also wasn't 100% sure which fraction was being rounded.

I'll second the "halved" wording! (rather than "reduced by...")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.