Subject: Who's not painting the figs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Central Valley California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am considering not painting these minis.

They would certainly be fun and easy, aside from the skin of course. Lots of tamiya oil and smoke, drybrushed rust, etc. good times. But with the sheer amount I'm looking at I may opt to make this a 100% fun and enjoyable game with no painting time strings attached.

How about the rest of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If (when?) I get it then I'm planning on painting my stuff as I'm more of a painter than a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only am I not painting them .. I'm also no longer getting them at all.

Would rather spend better money here on WWI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Central Valley California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
moocifer wrote:

Would rather spend better money here on WWI

lame reply, and belongs elsewhere. Go play in traffic dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on...
HOLD ON....

Let me go get me marshmallows for the flame war ahead....

For myself, I plan to paint them up.
If I get them.
The main thing attracting me to this is the RTS style play.
I already have several skirmish type game either on the shelf or on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:

Having watched the 2nd gameplay video, I'm probably going to drop out of this one too.

I don't see any reason to have duplicates of all the core units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to completely drop out...just get the core set if that's what you want...

As for me, they are in a que behind my Dust and Super Dungon Explore stuff to paint. Ill probably end up painting them but possibly not as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knatebaker wrote:
You don't need to completely drop out...just get the core set if that's what you want...

There's no point in pledging at the $90 level, particularly if you're not in the US (then it's $115), because you'll be able to pick the game up at retail for less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
knatebaker wrote:

There's no point in pledging at the $90 level, particularly if you're not in the US (then it's $115), because you'll be able to pick the game up at retail for less.

Ahh, my apologies. I didn't see that you were from the Kingdom itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
knatebaker wrote:

Keep in mind that KickStarter is not a store, its for funding projects that would not otherwise get published. You pay more in a Kickstarter because you are investing in and showing support for the games and the people who make them in addition to wanting to see MORE of what they can do later.

So yes, if all you want is the bare minimum then by all means wait for the retail version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorch wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
knatebaker wrote:

Keep in mind that KickStarter is not a store, its for funding projects that would not otherwise get published. You pay more in a Kickstarter because you are investing in and showing support for the games and the people who make them in addition to wanting to see MORE of what they can do later.

So yes, if all you want is the bare minimum then by all means wait for the retail version.

I would agree with this.
With the exception of CMON.

They are very obviously using KS as a pre-order system.
I have no doubt these games would be made regardless.

Zombicide, Sedition Wars, Relic Knights, and now this.
They have all been run the same exact way.
They added in piles of stuff to get people to pledge in early so they could get their funds in quicker.
I would imagine this would be for quarterly earnings or to make it easier to get the project expanded beyond the original plan.

I say this, when I pledged in for the first 3. And am even in and out on RW.

To those thinking if RW is worth it, look at Sedition Wars.

The Stretch goal set there was $100.
You got nearly double of all the vanguard troops, and the Strain all the way up to the Phase 5.

You can now pre-order of $60 as CSI.
So not counting the unique add ins, just off the 'duplicates' included in the KS, it would take $120 to get the same now. You would be shy the extra tile set. But would have many more things, custom heroes, Baby Drones, Crabs, etc etc.

It should all end up being looked at closely with the final 'retail' cost in mind.

RW is likely to cost about ~$65 from CSI come retail.
The Blitz level is $150. So a $85 difference.
If you were to buy the extras they threw in, not counting Dupes, youd end up being about even.
Thats if those prices are about 2/3 of what retail will be. Adjusted up then down works out about a wash.

Zombicide was worth it IMO.
Sedition Wars was very worth it.
Relic Kights was an insane value if you A) wanted most of what the genre offered and B) figured out how to work the system.

Rivet is not necessarily worth it right now.
Even with all the cool extras, its a bit of a wash right now.
Thinking on the dupes, if you wanted to have grand melee skirmish games or play 4 player, then they, and the Blitz level would definitely be worth it.

Just my thought.s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
They (CMON) are very obviously using KS as a pre-order system.

I don't know about that. My understanding with miniatures is the molds are very expensive. Add to that that producing such games is not cost-effective at low quantities. I believe CMON produces miniatures for hobbyists, but putting together an entire game may involve different expenditures up front.

Which is to say, the money from Kickstarter *probably* makes it easier, at least, for them to put these games out. From a business standpoint, Kickstarter may be allowing them to put out games they want to do, but might not be willing to risk spending money on without knowing X number of units are sold right out of the gate AND having the money to pay for stuff without as much risk.

Small businesses often ride the razor's edge in every financial decision they make. If KS campaigns enable CMON to grow more safely than they might otherwise, I'm happy to support their games.

Edit: also, I'm not painting the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
ropya wrote:
They (CMON) are very obviously using KS as a pre-order system.

I don't know about that. My understanding with miniatures is the molds are very expensive. Add to that that producing such games is not cost-effective at low quantities. I believe CMON produces miniatures for hobbyists, but putting together an entire game may involve different expenditures up front.

Which is to say, the money from Kickstarter *probably* makes it easier, at least, for them to put these games out. From a business standpoint, Kickstarter may be allowing them to put out games they want to do, but might not be willing to risk spending money on without knowing X number of units are sold right out of the gate AND having the money to pay for stuff without as much risk.

Small businesses often ride the razor's edge in every financial decision they make. If KS campaigns enable CMON to grow more safely than they might otherwise, I'm happy to support their games.

Edit: also, I'm not painting the figures.

I think Rivet Wars may be the first of their Kickstarters where that is even remotely true.

They've stated openly that Zombicide was something like 90% (I don't recall the exact number they stated) complete when they started the Kickstarter for that.

And I know Sedition Wars had been in development, and many, if not all of the core game miniatures had been available, for some time.

Relic Knights I'm not sure about, nor Guilds.

And, as for the cost of molds, yeah, they're expensive, and yeah they eventually wear out and be replaced, but, the price we pay for an individual mini is vastly more than the cost of the raw plastic that goes into that miniature, so the miniatures pay for the molds very quickly.

A company the size of CMON could easily get funding for that initial cost, even without Kickstarter, and even in this economic climate, because it's easy for any investor to see the returns that can be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Relic Knights I'm sure about, nor Guilds.

While I cant comment on Guilds (which I AM bummed I missed somehow), RK has had figures around for quite some time to my understanding.
I think of it akin to Kingdom Death.

They took a successful figure line and developed a rule set for it.
They already had molds and models for sale, for most, if not all, the Larger Relic figures.

The only way I could see Relic being a 'true' KS project in the spirit of trying an unknown would be because of the HEAVY competition it does and will have from Dust.
Dust is already very established and ever expanding.
So I can possibly see Rivet being a true KS.

As for my own view.
While I dont look at it like a 'store' or pre-order form, I do compare the value with the future prices knowing good and well that CSI will have the product for 35% off retail.
And before Im torn apart for not supporting my FLGS, CSI is my FLGS.

But each their own view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Relic Knights I'm sure about, nor Guilds.

While I cant comment on Guilds (which I AM bummed I missed somehow), RK has had figures around for quite some time to my understanding.
I think of it akin to Kingdom Death.

That should have said "Relic Knight I'm not sure about...".

So, pretty much the same as Sedition Wars then - existing minis line + game rules (and in the case of SW even the game rules were around for quite some time before the Kickstarter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're redoing a lot of the Relic Knight miniatures. Some of the Relic Knights themselves for example are already available in resin but they're being re-sculpted and released in plastic for KS backers. Anyways, we've kind of gone completely off topic on this one sorry OP!

After years of painting exclusively GW stuff I've branched out in recent years, mainly to Skirmish Games and Board Games (with miniatures!) so it's the miniatures and painting of them that attracted me to River Wars in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lokismile wrote:

They would certainly be fun and easy, aside from the skin of course. Lots of tamiya oil and smoke, drybrushed rust, etc. good times. But with the sheer amount I'm looking at I may opt to make this a 100% fun and enjoyable game with no painting time strings attached.

Well, back ON TOPIC, I am considering painting mine because I am getting the core set plus the M3/Lanskrieger add on. That brings my mini count to 46. It's a lot more manageable than the 100+, seemingly pointless extra mini's that come Blitzkrieg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taegukki wrote:
Lokismile wrote:

Well, back ON TOPIC, I am considering painting mine because I am getting the core set plus the M3/Lanskrieger add on. That brings my mini count to 46. It's a lot more manageable than the 100+, seemingly pointless extra mini's that come Blitzkrieg.

I will not be painting them. I am absolutely excited to get and play the game, but since I am The Slowest Painter on Earth, I will have to be content to play with them "au naturel".

Plus, the style of the minis leads me to believe that a) they will look great without paint, and b) with the minimalist / chibi style, my skillz could not do them justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim6 wrote:
Taegukki wrote:
Lokismile wrote:

I will not be painting them. I am absolutely excited to get and play the game, but since I am The Slowest Painter on Earth, I will have to be content to play with them "au naturel".

Plus, the style of the minis leads me to believe that a) they will look great without paint, and b) with the minimalist / chibi style, my skillz could not do them justice.

Same here. I'm confident in my painting, but still apprehensive. What it comes down to is lack of time. They look great painted anyway, sort of like army men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niranth Banks
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'll paint the "ridiculous" extras first and then I'll paint the core part of the Blitz box and finally, I'll paint the extra core box. When that is finished, I'll start making tiles out of Masonite and maybe making other terrain effects. By that time, the expansions should be ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt I would paint my set ... but I'm not 100% sure of that however

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I plan on painting the entire set...but I will probably paint the bulk of the "duplicate" minis in a completely different uniform to make them available as other factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
I plan on painting the entire set...but I will probably paint the bulk of the "duplicate" minis in a completely different uniform to make them available as other factions.

I'm waiting to hear on other boards and what they'll look like (the inevitable snow boards for the Ruska) and then I might paint my allied extras in a snowy camo uniform...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will actually be my first painting project ever....we will see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.