Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan OHara
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to get a dice tray, but didn't want to spend $20 on some giant 10-12 inch dice tray that would take up too much table space. Looked around on the forums a bit and saw the posts and recommendations to try finding a shadowbox photo frame and convert it into a dice tray. This is what I ended up with and I'm very happy with it.

Stopped by Hobby Lobby and found this 6x4 picture frame that I thought would be perfect for a smaller dice tray. I left the glass in and put felt over and underneath it. Looks and works perfectly with minimal work required.

Frame was on sale for 50% off so I paid $7 for it and $1 for the sticky backed felt.

Step 1: Remove wall hanging stuff on back of the frame.
Step 2: Outline glass on felt and cut the felt to size.
Step 3: Add felt to front of the glass, on the backing below the glass, then put it all back together.

Overall dimensions: 7.7" x 5.75" - Just under 2" tall and just under 1.5" deep.

Quote:

Update:

Added red felt to the back of the glass. Now it has blue felt on one side of the glass and red on the other. Then blue felt on the photo backing under the glass. It fits perfectly now and feels a little more solid.

So add another $1 for the red felt, but now I have a reversible dice tray that can be either blue or red on the bottom. They also had green, purple, white, and maybe some other colors.

If you go with the reversible setup I use the already cut backing to the sticky paper between the 2 layers of felt that would otherwise be touching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever idea! I might have to try that myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OHara
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Also, edited first post to give credit where it's due.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Ozkaros wrote:
and $1 for the sticky backed felt.

That stuff is a godsend. I was planning on making my own dice tray a while back and was all ready to put regular felt in when I stumbled upon the stuff with sticky backing.

Well worth the additional $0.20 !!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozkaros wrote:

Stopped by Hobby Lobby and found this 4x6 picture frame...

What is the SKU for this frame? It is not showing in their online store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OHara
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The receipt only shows Photo Frame. Here's an image of the back of it if that helps. Made by Green Tree Gallery.

You can see where I had to remove the wall hanging stuff to make it sit flat.

Edit: Found it! Exact same stock photo.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/6-x-4-black-photo-frame-...

Was 50% off in store. Looks like they don't have the same deal online though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OHara
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going a step further for anyone else who doesn't mind paying more to order online.

Link for the felt.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/?keyword=sticky%20backed%2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
This was AWESOME. Stopped by the Hobby Lobby in Huntington Beach today and picked up the materials. They only had two of the frames in stock but one was somewhat damaged.

Debating whether or not I want to go back and pick it up anyway since it would be nice to have two of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OHara
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went back and grabbed another frame myself. Would be nice for games where combat is determined by dice rolls. Now each player gets a tray.

Second tray is going to be green/red where my first one is blue/red. Now I can set it up as red & blue, red & green, green & blue, or both red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.