• [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please - I need a translation too. Just got the game today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've been thumbing through the rulebook, and I think I have a lot of it figured out (see below). Still struggling with a couple of rules though:

1. When can you place a bet? Can you do it each time it's your turn? Is it done in addition to playing a card from your hand, or instead of playing a card? If it is in addition to playing a card, is the bet placed before or after playing a card?

[my best guess: you place your three betting coins at the start of the race, after you've drawn and looked at your starting hand of seven cards. Then you play your cards during the race to try and make the slimes come in the order you've bet on].

2. Are bets hidden or public knowledge?

[I'd guess public, because there are only two betting boards (one on the main board, and then the extra betting board) but there are up to five players possible. And what exactly is the purpose of the second betting board?]

3. There are several 'special circumstances' outlined on the last two pages of the manual. I can't decipher what happens in these situations, but they appear to be things like:

* What happens if there is a two-way tie - the diagram seems to imply that the purple slime wins this tie and is in second place. I don't know why.

* What happens if there is a three-way tie - the diagram here seems to imply that the red slime wins the three-way tie and would be in second place. Again, I don't know why.

* What happens if two slimes are tied at the starting line? It appears to say that the lower numbered of the slimes (blue in this case in the 4th lane) wins the tie and would be considered in fourth place (purple would be in fifth place).

* I don't understand any of the examples on page 15.

With all of that said, here's what I think is going on in this game:

There are five slimes racing around the track, each in a color coded lane (red = lane 1, purple = lane 5). Like Heimlich & Co, none of the players 'own' a specific color slime. Players are instead represented by little Dragon Quest character figures. These are used to track victory points (figures) and place bets (character coins). Players play cards from their hand during their turn to move a slime along the board. Each slime has a number of color-keyed cards in the deck, some better than others (e.g. red has faster cards than the other slimes, purple has the slowest cards in the deck). Bets are placed on an 'odds table' as to which slimes will come in first and second place. Once two slimes have crossed the finish line the winning combination is found on the odds table and anyone who had placed a coin on that spot receives the number of points noted on the space (or multiples if they've placed more than one coin on the space). Points are totaled on the smaller infield track, and a new race is run. The first person to reach fifty points wins the game.

All players start the game with seven cards in their hand. On your turn you draw an eighth card and then play a card from your hand.

The vertical numbers on the odds table show which slime came in first, the horizontal numbers show which slime came in second. The slower the slimes, the bigger the payout (blue+purple winning is twenty points a coin!). Note that the table doesn't allow you to bet on purple winning, or on red coming in anything other than first.

Most of the cards in the deck show a slime color and a number - these cards allow you to move the slime of that color forward that many spaces around the racetrack.

Some cards indicate that the slime in a specific place should be moved. For example, it may say that the slime currently in third place is moved forward by fifteen spaces.

There are two 'dash' cards in the deck. One is for the slime in first place, and it allows that slime to double the current distance between itself and the second place slime (so if first and second were three spaces apart, the first place slime would move forward another three spaces). The other is for the slime in second place, and allows that slime to close the gap to be only one space behind the leader.

There's also a card that allows the slime in last place to jump forward by thirty-five spaces!

Looks like a fun game. Once I can decipher when bets may be placed and how to handle ties we'll get it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fun game. I don't have the game, I'll also probably be getting a copy of this in the future.

Bob contacted me about the rules to the game, and I can write up a brief rules overview in a few days, I hope that's ok. I played my friend's copy a couple of times, and I remember pretty much all the rules that were explained to me (the rules explainer was also an English speaker so there might be a few things that we might have missed), but I think we have the rules pretty down pat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I can't read Japanese either so my guess is more or less as good as yours, but I'm assuming my rulebook is different than yours as I have what I assume is the original edition of the game.

Heres a little overview of how we've tried playing the game already which is prettymuch what you've been doing;
1. each player gets a specific colored token set and a marker for the scoreboard.
2. shuffle the cards and deal 7 to each player.
3. Betting! players take turns putting tokens down on the betting board for which 2 slimes they think will place first and second. (my copy of the game only has one betting board)
4. Racing! now all the players take turns playing cards to move the slimes along the track until there is a first and second place winner. On your turn you draw a card, then play a card.
5. Scoring! any player who bet on that specific combo of slimes moves their point marker up for however many points that win was worth. Ex: (2-4) is worth 11 times however many tokens you have there.
*repeat steps 2-5 until someone has won 50 points.

The obvious problem here after playing it is what if two players keep matching eachother's bets? Looking at the distressed faces of the characters on the manual leads me to believe that maybe the last person to bid on a specific pair is the only one to get anything if that pair wins, so you can essentially make people waste their tokens.

Regarding the cards that specify 3rd place, last place, etc. We always just move every slime in that position. So you've got that 3rd place +15 card and there's 3 slimes in 3rd? Move em all!

also I don't think the betting board denotes which slime places first specifically. Like if you bet (1,3) either 1 or 3 could get first and the other 2nd and you'd still get the prize.

looking forward to hearing what the actual rules are though. Thanks Mercedes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sakket wrote:

The obvious problem here after playing it is what if two players keep matching eachother's bets? Looking at the distressed faces of the characters on the manual leads me to believe that maybe the last person to bid on a specific pair is the only one to get anything if that pair wins, so you can essentially make people waste their tokens.

I was looking at the picture in the manual regarding placing bets, and I wonder if the rule is 'only three tokens allowed per betting space'. The picture shows a 'distressed' symbol around the fourth token on the stack and around the second slime. A rule like this would prevent everyone stacking their chips on one space. I also looked through the various publisher photos on BGG and other websites and I couldn't find any that showed more than three tokens on a single betting space.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the real rules are!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We decided tonight that the distressed symbols meant 3 chips for player 1 and the player 2 placed one chip on the same space.

edit: also my students English ability is very low level but they were able to tell me that if the deck runs out, no one wins. This seems very strange to me so we ignored the rule tonight. We just reshuffled the deck when it ran out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleks .
msg tools
I made an English translation of the rulebook, that I'd be happy to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
friendly wrote:
I made an English translation of the rulebook, that I'd be happy to share.
upload it as a file!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleks .
msg tools
I don't think I'm allowed to upload it since I scanned the original rule book and just replaced all the Japanese text with English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Johnson
United States
DENVER
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hoarders: BGG Edition
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:
The vertical numbers on the odds table show which slime came in first, the horizontal numbers show which slime came in second. The slower the slimes, the bigger the payout (blue+purple winning is twenty points a coin!). Note that the table doesn't allow you to bet on purple winning, or on red coming in anything other than first.

Clarification: When players bet on the odds table/betting table, the two Slimes can finish in EITHER order--a bet on the 20X square would pay out if blue came first and purple second, or if purple came first and blue came second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.