Hell's Gate» Forums » Rules

Subject: Important erratum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
The last sentences of section 11.5 got mangled in a last minute 'clarification'. They should read:

'If the modified roll is 5 or more, that unit "breaks out;" the unit is removed from play but is NOT placed in the destroyed box. On any other result, the unit is placed in the destroyed box.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this been corrected in subsequent printings of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Lecce
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in my copy, shipped 20 may 2013, but it is corrected in the "living" rules posted on VPG website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
The current moderation is unfair and one-sided...
badge
... So I am not supporting BGG in 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew, thanks. That rule really threw me when I read it... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way that was worded had me believing that "destroyed" units must be different than "eliminated" units.

Thanks for the errata. Now I get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a shock with my first game and got to the break out rules. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In relation to this I have a question: how exactly does breaking out a unit provide an advantage as per the victory condition:

1 Victory Point for each enemy two-step unit still on the map (or broken out) but with only one step remaining

So if the Soviets successfully break out two units on Turn 8, do the Soviets gain 2 VPs? Common sense would imply so, or at least that there is some advantage to attempting the procedure. I find the wording above is ambiguous (referring to enemy units and broken out units together) and to me suggests that the German player is set to gain from the Soviet player breaking out one or more (one step remaining two step units).

If that were the case, it would make sense for the Soviet player to deliberately not attempt to break out since these units may be removed from the map as OOS and deny victory points to the German player.

Am I correct is reading it as actually meaning something like:

each single step (of two) enemy unit still on the map plus each friendly unit(s)broken out (regardless of their step status), with 1 VP for each case? Assuming that the step status of a broken out unit has no bearing on things so long as it is broken out?

I guess really what I'm looking for is the reasoning behind the break out mechanic vis a vis victory points, is it to gain a straightforward VP advantage or merely deny an opponent additional victory points through destroyed units?

Thanks for any clarification. Really enjoying the game and it gives the impression of being a dirty slog of a battle for both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.