BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A Final Fantasy like board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who is interested in board games. He said he really enjoys playing Final Fantasy on his Ipad, so I was thinking maybe there's a board/card game that's similar to FF.
I'm not familiar with FF. All I know is that battles are turn based.
It doesn't have to be a game similar in theme, but a game similar in its mechanics, and a game that is a 2 player or works well with 2.
Also an accessible game, as this friend is not really familiar with board games.

Thnx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmbmb
Well, there's Super Dungeon Explore, which is noticeably influenced by jrpgs like Final Fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played it, but Pixel Tactics sounds like what he is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Hellberg Hellberg
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still being madly in love with Final Fantasy VI (I actually just finished playing it to come here) I have to say that I would be the first to buy that kind of boardgame

Now, it sort of depends on what your friend is looking for.
If it's the big sense of personal adventure, then perhaps Mage Knight might fit the bill.

On a grander scale, there's always Runewars

But perhaps the best choice would be Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), because you get adventure, with a four character party, against an army of baddies.
And you get to upgrade your armour and stuff, just as in the Final Fantasy series.

The only thing missing is the airships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Loe
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a toughie!

I have not played much FF, but what I liked about it is that each turn you have a number of different moves you can play and these moves interact in interesting ways with the other characters and with your stats. Descent is fairly easy to learn, you find cool equipment and junk, and you get some nifty "power" moves you can make if you get a good roll--all appealing for a FF junkie. However it's a bit expensive and not great for two.

He might like Yomi, though. It's a nifty little card game that's maybe a bit more like a fighting game then a FF game, but it's quick, there's bluffing, it's a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version of FF is his favorite? Some have a radically different feel to them (FF VIII for example).

I have to say, I'd be all over a game themed off of FF VII. I'd likely hand over my money before even determining how terrible the actual gameplay was.

Honestly, I think the closest thing to FF play is in the CCGs (Magic: The Gathering, Summoner Wars, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, etc.). Personally, I'm not big on the card games.

Lords of Waterdeep does a great job of integrating a fantasy theme, but doesn't really feel like FF at all. Seasons gets a little closer ... in fact this one might even be worth looking at.

I think Martin Wallace should take a break from Discworld and take on the FF series. That would be a great game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfodeth wrote:
Well, there's Super Dungeon Explore, which is noticeably influenced by jrpgs like Final Fantasy.

geas wrote:
Still being madly in love with Final Fantasy VI (I actually just finished playing it to come here) I have to say that I would be the first to buy that kind of boardgame

Now, it sort of depends on what your friend is looking for.
If it's the big sense of personal adventure, then perhaps Mage Knight might fit the bill.

On a grander scale, there's always Runewars

But perhaps the best choice would be Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), because you get adventure, with a four character party, against an army of baddies.
And you get to upgrade your armour and stuff, just as in the Final Fantasy series.

The only thing missing is the airships

Thnx. Both Mage Knight and Super Dungeon Explorer look really great, but how accessible are they? They look rather complicated.

thdizzy wrote:
I have never played it, but Pixel Tactics sounds like what he is looking for.

Thnx. I will check it out.

bloomkareninaishmael wrote:
That is a toughie!

I have not played much FF, but what I liked about it is that each turn you have a number of different moves you can play and these moves interact in interesting ways with the other characters and with your stats. Descent is fairly easy to learn, you find cool equipment and junk, and you get some nifty "power" moves you can make if you get a good roll--all appealing for a FF junkie. However it's a bit expensive and not great for two.

He might like Yomi, though. It's a nifty little card game that's maybe a bit more like a fighting game then a FF game, but it's quick, there's bluffing, it's a good time.

I've read that descent isn't a good 2 player game. It's a shame because it looks like a very interesting game. It has been on my "Want to play" list for a long time.
And I also thought about Yomi as a good game to play with non boardgamers in general. It's not too complicated and it's very fun.
Thnx.

thenyn wrote:
Which version of FF is his favorite? Some have a radically different feel to them (FF VIII for example).

I have to say, I'd be all over a game themed off of FF VII. I'd likely hand over my money before even determining how terrible the actual gameplay was.

Honestly, I think the closest thing to FF play is in the CCGs (Magic: The Gathering, Summoner Wars, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, etc.). Personally, I'm not big on the card games.

Lords of Waterdeep does a great job of integrating a fantasy theme, but doesn't really feel like FF at all. Seasons gets a little closer ... in fact this one might even be worth looking at.

I think Martin Wallace should take a break from Discworld and take on the FF series. That would be a great game...

I really don't know which version he plays. I thought that the overall feel and basic gameplay is the same in every game, but like I said, I'm not familiar with FF.

I felt like The fantasy theme in Lords of Waterdeep was pasted on the game. But I will say that it is a good game to play with non boardgamers.

And Seasons looks awesome. Boom! Added to wishlisht. Thnx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're friend has never played designer games, you might look at:

---Wiz-War (eighth edition)---2-4 players, everyone against everyone, a real blast
---Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game---or Castle Ravenloft, or Legend of Drizzt, its sister games; you work together exploring tiles/dungeons/caves and fighting baddies
---Defenders of the Realm---different than FF, but it's theme and combat would probably still be appealing to your friend (and you!)

If you want to go a bit deeper:

---Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)---gotta add another vote to this one; really I'd say it's EXACTLY what you're looking for; don't be put off by the rules: The first edition was the first real boardgame I played, and it's way more complicated than the 2nd edition; it sucked me right into this hobby

EDIT: But you may be right that Descent isn't a good 2p game; I've only played it with 3, and it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:

---Wiz-War (eighth edition)---2-4 players, everyone against everyone, a real blast
---Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game---or Castle Ravenloft, or Legend of Drizzt, its sister games; you work together exploring tiles/dungeons/caves and fighting baddies
---Defenders of the Realm---different than FF, but it's theme and combat would probably still be appealing to your friend (and you!)

---Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)---gotta add another vote to this one; really I'd say it's EXACTLY what you're looking for; don't be put off by the rules: The first edition was the first real boardgame I played, and it's way more complicated than the 2nd edition; it sucked me right into this hobby

EDIT: But you may be right that Descent isn't a good 2p game; I've only played it with 3, and it's awesome.

Thnx. Wiz War sounds like an interesting game. Does it play well with 2 players? From what I've read so far, it's not a very good 2 player game.
Wiz War and Descent sound great, but it seems like you need at least 3 players for both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
foxfan wrote:

Thnx. Wiz War sounds like an interesting game. Does it play well with 2 players? From what I've read so far, it's not a very good 2 player game.
Wiz War and Descent sound great, but it seems like you need at least 3 players for both of them.

Oh it's a great 2 player game IF you know which decks to use. Obviously with 2 players, which is largely going to be more combat-tactics focused and less sneaking around-strategy as you can't play people off of one another. So certain types of decks are going to be far less useful. Can't remember what the suggested combination was but it is listed in the manual.

And the joy of Wiz-War is simply the combos that go off, you play card X, which results in them playing card A, which results in you playing card Y, which results in them playing card B which negates card X and stops everything from happening (that is a gross over-generalization and not necessarily possible in the game, but it is a good example). I've been about to win against my wife, just getting ready to kill her and out of nowhere come a massive blast that takes me from full health to nothing in one round.

But if you really want two player spell slinging there is nothing better right now than mage wars IMO. Full control over your spells, no random draws, really feels like two spell casters going at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:
foxfan wrote:

Oh it's a great 2 player game IF you know which decks to use. Obviously with 2 players, which is largely going to be more combat-tactics focused and less sneaking around-strategy as you can't play people off of one another. So certain types of decks are going to be far less useful. Can't remember what the suggested combination was but it is listed in the manual.

And the joy of Wiz-War is simply the combos that go off, you play card X, which results in them playing card A, which results in you playing card Y, which results in them playing card B which negates card X and stops everything from happening (that is a gross over-generalization and not necessarily possible in the game, but it is a good example). I've been about to win against my wife, just getting ready to kill her and out of nowhere come a massive blast that takes me from full health to nothing in one round.

But if you really want two player spell slinging there is nothing better right now than mage wars IMO. Full control over your spells, no random draws, really feels like two spell casters going at it.

Thnx for the input. Made me want to play this game even more.
and Mage Wars is already on my wishlist. A friend of mine has it, so I hope I get to play it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
For obvious reasons, most games produced in the West are descendants of a Western tradition of gaming, so it's much easier to find games based on D&D than Final Fantasy. Some stuff does exist, and there are some games that have been translated and brought over from Japan where such influences would be stronger, but in general you have sadly few options.

Anima: Shadow of Omega is very close in theme, if not in direct gameplay. It was certainly based on Japanese console RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and it's got high quality anime-inspired art. It's a card game where you explore the countryside building up your party, fighting monsters, and doing quests. At the end of the game, after you're done powering up, a big bad monster shows up and tries to destroy the world. You have to get to where he is and stop him before it's too late. Oh, and it's versus so you're spending plenty of time screwing over the other players, Munchkin style. It's pretty fun and has a lot of really cool ideas, and it plays fine with 2. Maybe a bit too take-that-y for my tastes but that is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
For obvious reasons, most games produced in the West are descendants of a Western tradition of gaming, so it's much easier to find games based on D&D than Final Fantasy. Some stuff does exist, and there are some games that have been translated and brought over from Japan where such influences would be stronger, but in general you have sadly few options.

Anima: Shadow of Omega is very close in theme, if not in direct gameplay. It was certainly based on Japanese console RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and it's got high quality anime-inspired art. It's a card game where you explore the countryside building up your party, fighting monsters, and doing quests. At the end of the game, after you're done powering up, a big bad monster shows up and tries to destroy the world. You have to get to where he is and stop him before it's too late. Oh, and it's versus so you're spending plenty of time screwing over the other players, Munchkin style. It's pretty fun and has a lot of really cool ideas, and it plays fine with 2. Maybe a bit too take-that-y for my tastes but that is what it is.

That's the first game I had in mind when I thought I should look up a game in the style of FF. Like some of the games mentioned above, the problem is that it doesn't play well with 2 players, at least from what I read about the game. Maybe another game in the series plays better with just 2 players? Anima: Twilight of the Gods maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:

Descent can easily be played with two players: the hero player just controls two heroes instead of one. Since 2nd Edition is so much more streamlined than 1st Edition was, controlling two heroes shouldn't be much more onerous than controlling one for someone new to the rules.

And then once more familiar with the rules, there's nothing stopping a single hero player from controlling a full party of four heroes, proper Final Fantasy style. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Summoner Wars reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anima Tactics is a miniatures based anime fighting game. If both of you have an interest in painting miniatures with a strong anime theme, this might be worth a look. Turn based combat and some very nice art in the rule book. Here is a link to some of the miniatures;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
That's the first game I had in mind when I thought I should look up a game in the style of FF. Like some of the games mentioned above, the problem is that it doesn't play well with 2 players, at least from what I read about the game. Maybe another game in the series plays better with just 2 players? Anima: Twilight of the Gods maybe?

I dunno, I've played a handful of games with 2 and a handful with 4, and it didn't break with 2. In some ways it's both better and worse with 4: there are more people to beat up on the leader, but that means there are more people to beat up on the leader. An early lead is less likely to win you the game, but you can also get to a phase where each person goes for the win in turn and you're just hoping that the other players spend their resources preventing the players who made a go of it before you from winning. Also, the gang up on the leader thing means the game gets longer geometrically instead of linearly as you add more players. It's not like 7 Wonders where the game fundamentally changes, or like Descent where you're just having one player control 4 players worth of assets. I never got the impression that it was drastically better or worse with 2 players. Now I'm curious what the reasons people gave for why it wasn't good with 2 were... Might have to pop over to its forum and check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put in my usual nod for World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. The different classes and skills are more like the traditional Final Fantasy games than XII where everyone's on the same grid, but as a long time FinFan fan, WoW hit the sweet spot for me. Kill things, take their stuff, get new skills, buy shinier clothes, and control a party of 2-3 adventurers in combat together and use their skills in concert. The only downside is the sheer massive time commitment to the game, as discussed in my review, but anyone who can play through the Final Fantasy games won't be running from that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:

Descent can easily be played with two players: the hero player just controls two heroes instead of one. Since 2nd Edition is so much more streamlined than 1st Edition was, controlling two heroes shouldn't be much more onerous than controlling one for someone new to the rules.

And then once more familiar with the rules, there's nothing stopping a single hero player from controlling a full party of four heroes, proper Final Fantasy style. cool

Thnx for the input. I hope I can play a friend's copy of the game and get a better understating of what's going on.

The Barefoot Killer wrote:

I didn't really like SW, but thnx anyways

Pone4games wrote:
Anima Tactics is a miniatures based anime fighting game. If both of you have an interest in painting miniatures with a strong anime theme, this might be worth a look. Turn based combat and some very nice art in the rule book. Here is a link to some of the miniatures;

Thnx. I will check it out. Not really familiar with games like this.

Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:

I dunno, I've played a handful of games with 2 and a handful with 4, and it didn't break with 2. In some ways it's both better and worse with 4: there are more people to beat up on the leader, but that means there are more people to beat up on the leader. An early lead is less likely to win you the game, but you can also get to a phase where each person goes for the win in turn and you're just hoping that the other players spend their resources preventing the players who made a go of it before you from winning. Also, the gang up on the leader thing means the game gets longer geometrically instead of linearly as you add more players. It's not like 7 Wonders where the game fundamentally changes, or like Descent where you're just having one player control 4 players worth of assets. I never got the impression that it was drastically better or worse with 2 players. Now I'm curious what the reasons people gave for why it wasn't good with 2 were... Might have to pop over to its forum and check it out.

That's good to know. You made me interested in the game again. I will take a more in depth look at it.

Osirus wrote:
I'll put in my usual nod for World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. The different classes and skills are more like the traditional Final Fantasy games than XII where everyone's on the same grid, but as a long time FinFan fan, WoW hit the sweet spot for me. Kill things, take their stuff, get new skills, buy shinier clothes, and control a party of 2-3 adventurers in combat together and use their skills in concert. The only downside is the sheer massive time commitment to the game, as discussed in my review, but anyone who can play through the Final Fantasy games won't be running from that!

Will check it out. Thnx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
foxfan wrote:

Good question. To me, Wiz-War seems a bit more strategic with just 2 players. It's a real back-and-forth sort of thing. With more players, it's a tad less strategical and tad more about mitigating some of the random elements (just b/c more things happen before it's your turn again). I've played with 2 and 3 players, and it's great both ways IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Chris2210 wrote:
foxfan wrote:

Good question. To me, Wiz-War seems a bit more strategic with just 2 players. It's a real back-and-forth sort of thing. With more players, it's a tad less strategical and tad more about mitigating some of the random elements (just b/c more things happen before it's your turn again). I've played with 2 and 3 players, and it's great both ways IMHO.

That's actually what I thought, but it was just my impression from reading about the game. Didn't get to play it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:

I've had WoWtBG on my radar for a while now, it looks really good. If I remember correctly, I think it's out of print and you're going to pay a pretty penny for it (100+ bucks?). Definitely looks worth it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Osirus wrote:

I've had WoWtBG on my radar for a while now, it looks really good. If I remember correctly, I think it's out of print and you're going to pay a pretty penny for it (100+ bucks?). Definitely looks worth it!!!

Yes, it's hard game to get. Might find it in a trade or second handed. It sounds good, but I need to read more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.