JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who gets tired of the Disney marketing machine, I was not too excited when my kids received this game as a gift. But we gave it a chance and it has turned out to be an enjoyable game for all of us.

Disney WordCrossing is a nice introduction to word games for the youngest set. Children who can identify their letters can play this game even if they cannot read. If you enjoy Scrabble, then you will enjoy playing this game with your kids. I have not played Scrabble Jr., so I don’t know how it compares.

Contents:

Game Board:
WordCrossing has an extra large game board similar to Scrabble. Rather than the double or triple word spaces, there are spaces with a Tinkerbell instead.

Words:
The game has whole words rather than letters for placing on the board. The words are on strips of sturdy card stock. They are all names of Disney characters. One side of the word strip has the letters going horizontally, the other side has the letters facing vertically. There is a picture of the character and the name of the movie at each end of the word strip.

Tinkerbell spinner:
There is a spinner with Tinkerbell on it. If you place a word on a Tinkerbell space, then you get to spin the spinner.

Gameplay:

Players draw seven words from the box: a seven-letter word, a six-letter word, a five-letter word, 2 four-letter words and 2 three-letter words. The first person to place all of their words is the winner.

On your turn, you place a word on the board by matching a letter to one already on the board. Just as in Scrabble, any adjacent letters must spell a word. One twist to this game is that in addition to matching up letters, you can match up movies. Each word has a Disney movie at the beginning and end of the word. If you have a character from a movie that’s already on the board, then you can match up the titles of the movies.

If you place a word on a Tinkerbell space, then you get to spin the Tinkerbell. Tinkerbell lets you: go again, trade words or pass one of your words to another player.

The first player to go out wins.

Impressions:

While this game is not great by any means, it really filled a niche for our family. My three kids could all play together. The youngest could easily match letters up or match up movies.

I would recommend this game for a family that loves word games and has kids ranging in age from 3 to 11 years old. In order to play a child does not need to know how to read, but needs to be able to identify their letters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.