United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering what you guys think are the best ICE of each type:

> Code Gate
> Barrier
> Sentry

You can choose any of the available Netrunner cards all the way until the 2nd Data Pack.

Thanks,
G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think obviously this depends very much on the deck you're building, and whether you need it early game or late game, but if I had to pick I would say Tollbooth, Ice Wall, and Archer are "best in class".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tollbooth, Archer, (maybe) Wall of Ice.

I'm inclined to think that cost is a more useful category than type, though. Wall of Ice is "best" in a very different way than Archer.

edit: ninja, also, yes Ice Wall is the name, I keep referring to it as the 0/7 Magic card

edit2: Crap, they discontinued that thing after 4th edition? Guess who feels incredibly old right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say for effective, efficient
Code Gate: Tollbooth, Chum
Sentry: Janus/Archer, Neural Katana
Barrier: Hadrian's Wall, Ice Wall
Trap: Data mine!
Special Mention: Draco

For the code gates ToolBooth is expensive to get past even with the best breaker. Chum is dirt cheap, and can deter runners from continuing when paired with anything unrezzed.

For Sentries Janus/Archer are both very expensive to run past, and also cause a great deal of damage if you rez them on the runner. Either use Priority Requisition for economical advantage, or res them as a trap at vast expensive. Katana causes damage to the runner if they run naked at it on turn 1, while all other sentries don't really do anything other than tickle the runner.

For barriers you want End the Run, and for it to be expensive to break. Both the Weyland barriers do this, as well as being advancable. Both are excellent. Wall of Thorns is too expensive for its effects, as even a surprise 2 net damage will only trigger once.

Draco gets a special mention for being unlimited in strength. The only downside is he has to win the trace to be effective, but pared with a Sensei or Chum he is pretty nasty if they don't have a decoder. If you have a crushing financial lead a high-power Draco can win you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
Best Sentry is the harshest field to judge. Both Data Raven and Archer can instantly win a game if disrespected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Angel
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadrian's Wall, Archer, and Tollbooth. These are my choices but even as I type them it feels wrong someway. Like this game is not the right one for this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's not really that useful of a question.

For instance, what faction are you playing? The best ice might no longer be the best if it's out of faction and costs you influence.

There's ice that's good early game, and ice that's good late game. Starting out I sure don't want a bunch of 8+ cost ice in my hand, I want some I can afford to rez.

And so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
Without considering the deck, Ice Wall, Tollbooth and Archer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like almost everyone agrees on Archer, Tollbooth and ice wall when speaking in general. I think I would say the same. Pretty strong consensus here. Somehow I thought that there was going to be more variety.

Yet we all know that in practice is really depends on the deck. As these 3 ICEs are not auto include in every deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhab wrote:
Yet we all know that in practice is really depends on the deck. As these 3 ICEs are not auto include in every deck.

Well, influence is a factor. I do play Ice Wall in every corp deck, and don't expect that to change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
Well, influence is a factor. I do play Ice Wall in every corp deck, and don't expect that to change.

Any factions ? Any Style ?

Well I do agree that a deck is very likely to see at least one of those 3 ICEs. But I meant all 3 at once are not auto include in every deck. By every decks I also mean my decks, your decks, the decks of the guy over there, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aubuchon
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhab wrote:
the decks of the guy over there, etc.

Hey, leave me out of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I would DEFINITELY call Data Mine the best Trap ICE so far. The other types are much more debatable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think it makes too much sense to compare. Hadrian's Wall no better or worse than Ice Wall because they fulfill different roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aolifu Yu
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mychal, I can see where you're coming from with regards to data mine

I tend to agree too XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dunno, DataMine seems more like the worst trap card to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I`d say data mine is average really. It's a good representation of what trap ICE are in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.