Subject: Got Jobbed.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Dimailig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I joined a tourney a couple weeks ago and I'll admit I'm a newb. The only reason I joined was to finally meet some people to play this awesome game with.

I put down a Snare in my REMOTE SERVER. I didn't have it protected. My opponent had said he was going to make a run on that server. After I flipped over the Snare, he states, "I'm using Bank Job instead of accessing that." Should he have gotten hit by that Snare? I think he screwed me on purpose. Oh well I ended up winning anyway.

I just want to clarify, if he wants to flip over the Remote Server, can he do that and still use his Bank Job? Or is it one or the other?

Just wondering if I truly got Jobbed... =)

Thanks,
G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Bank Job says "Instead of Accessing Cards" - you either get to see what is there, and interact with it, OR get the bank job money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He should specify that he's running on that server and then, when it comes to accessing cards, that he will use Bank Job instead of accessing.

Now, if you were eager to Snare! him and didn't give him the time to specify whether he's accessing cards or using Bank Job... you skipped over that step of the run. But, if he decided to access the card, he can no longer use Bank Job.

I've gotten in the habit of asking the runner as each ice is approached and each server is accessed if they will jack out or continue. Asking for that clarification removes any doubt as to the runner's intentions as well as hides when it truly matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't flip over traps, let the runner do it themselves when they access. That solves timing issues like "I don't want to access that" if they want to jackout or use bank job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Ripshawd wrote:
I've gotten in the habit of asking the runner as each ice is approached and each server is accessed if they will jack out or continue. Asking for that clarification removes any doubt as to the runner's intentions as well as hides when it truly matters.

I'm trying to get in the habit of doing this too. It feels kind of weird to ask so explicitly all the time, but it does clear up confusion on the times when it's really relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to give the opponent and opportunity to choose to access or not. Do this every time, not only if its a trap.

If someone has bank job and runs an unprotected server, they will almost always bank job by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Dimailig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the advice. Asking the Runner if he wants to continue or jack out is good. Also, letting them flip it over is also good. I probably got a little too excited and may have flipped it early. Going forward I will let the runners access the cards themselves. =)

Thanks peeps!

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add that you should always ask "Are you accessing the cards in the server?" just for the mental game of it. ESPECIALLY if you are playing Jinteki. If you can do it with a very expectant sound or a maniacal gleam in your eye, there's always a chance you can get a runner to chicken out and jack out before accessing your agenda...thinking it's a trap. *evil grin*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If they play the Bank Job on the click immediately before running the remote server as well, you can almost guarantee that using it is their intent. Especially if it's undefended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Angel
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking can sometimes leads to reminding them about an effect that they may have forgotten. What I do is grab the facedown card and hand it across the table. They choose whether they access or not so no takebacks after they have seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GD360 wrote:
Thanks guys for the advice. Asking the Runner if he wants to continue or jack out is good. Also, letting them flip it over is also good. I probably got a little too excited and may have flipped it early. Going forward I will let the runners access the cards themselves. =)

Thanks peeps!

G

This is a good habit to get into. I had an opponent who was always eager to reveal that the server I'd just run on contained an ambush, before I'd announced whether or not I was accessing. After the first couple times of him wasting his ambush while I pulled credits from Bank Jobs, he stopped doing it, but the first time he was very upset about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can just jack out after passing the last piece of ice. You don't need a bank job to not access. So always asking is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, have this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/901976/good-playing-habi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
You messed up.

"Do you wish to access this card?" Is what you should have asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.