18 Posts

Space Cadets» Forums » General

Subject: Playing time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really tempted to get this game, but I am worried about the playing time. My group generally doesn't like games that take too long (meaning more than 2,5 hours I guess).

How long in your expirience does a mission of this take? (I understood there are multiple missions to complete. Is this true? If so, how many?)

Yes, I know the geek says something about playing time but I think usually the games takes much longer than it says there.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect the first game to take 2.5-3 hours as you learn the ropes. That time includes 30 minutes of instructions - we used the available tutorials. I think future plays would take far less time...unless your group likes to talk too much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The explanation does take kind of long for this, but I imagine if you played with the same people every time it wouldn't be that bad, especially starting with some of the training missions. Setup and teardown is also a little rough. I still haven't found a good storage solution for it.

The games I have played ran about 2 and a half hours, but I have always had to explain all the rules to 2 or 3 people.

I think there are around six missions, however our group has only barely completed the first one on easy. I haven't played any of the other missions after it, but I'm not really eager to until after we have done better with the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets is scenario based. So, it is very variable.

If you play "Training Mission Alpha" or "Training Mission Beta", the game will last under 60 minutes (without rules explaination).

If you play the longest scenarios, it will go for 120 minutes.

Of course, teaching the rules to ALL players makes it go longer. However, if you only have to teach, say, 2 of the Stations to two new players, that's a 5-10 minute teaching time. Never teach a new player ALL stations. You teach only THEIR station, and they will see how the other ones work as the game progress (to the extent they need to know).

Finally, the videos that Geoff Engelstein did are fantastic. I highly recommend that you have new players watch the video, posted on BGG and at:
www.strongholdgames.com/spacecadets

These videos give you a high level view of what each station does and players get up to speed more quickly by watching them.

Finally finally... Download the "Stronghold Games Timer" app for iOS and Android (Google store). Not only is this a great free app that enhances the game play (and works for Article 27 and ANY game that requires a timer), it also links directly to ALL THE TUTORIAL VIDEOS, so that you can can your friends watch the videos right there at the table before you start the game and/or your explainations...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
The teaching of new players can be done simultaneously. When two new people joined our group for a mission, I taught one person weapons and jump while my friend taught the other newbie shields and tractor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,

The iPad app is great. We used it during our plays. But, it REALLY needs audio to count down when you get to 10 seconds... or some audio indication... especially since the captain is doing his own mini game.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... and don't believe the Secret Cabal saying this is a 3+ hour game and it takes so long.

Once you know it, and follow the rules (no discussion during red phases) It should be 60-120 minutes.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Steven,

The iPad app is great. We used it during our plays. But, it REALLY needs audio to count down when you get to 10 seconds... or some audio indication... especially since the captain is doing his own mini game.

BOb

It does have an audible countdown starting at ten seconds. Are you sure the volume on the iPad was turned up?

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app helps a lot with the timing and keeping things moving!

(Or I was just better in my 3rd game as captain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
For the Android version there's a nice tense tick-tock sound that starts at 10 seconds left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
pilotbob wrote:
Oh... and don't believe the Secret Cabal saying this is a 3+ hour game and it takes so long.

Once you know it, and follow the rules (no discussion during red phases) It should be 60-120 minutes.

BOb

I'm not sure where it stands rules-wise, but we do discuss accounting type stuff during some of the red phases. For instance, at the end of 4, we'll inform the tractor beam officer out distance and speed from the enemies and calculate the amount of tractor points required needed for tractor the various targets, but we won't discuss strategy as to which one should be targeted or which pairs to go for.

Same with weapons. We'll tell distances and modifiers from locks/tractor beam, but not talk about which one we think should be attacked (first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
Steven,

BOb

It does have an audible countdown starting at ten seconds. Are you sure the volume on the iPad was turned up?

Geoff

I will double check, but I'm pretty sure we checked that... because we thought it was strange that it didn't have audio.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It most certainly has audio! Each of the supported games, Space Cadets, Article 27, and the 'simple timer', each have different sounds that get played, but they do have sounds.

Recheck your audio on your device, and let us know....

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for pointing me to the app!

I'm totally impressed. I played Article 27 for the first time a couple nights ago and only wish I'd known about the app then. Great game!

I just got my copy of Space Cadets in the mail, and this app will put the experience over the top. I'm really chuffed.

Great job Stronghold!

/fan_rant_over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

It most certainly has audio! Each of the supported games, Space Cadets, Article 27, and the 'simple timer', each have different sounds that get played, but they do have sounds.

Recheck your audio on your device, and let us know....

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Ok.. I had my son (it's his iPad) double check and here is what he said:

Quote:
Yup, you're right! Awesome. Apparently it has sounds, but iOS must think they are "alerts" not standard audio, so it uses the alerts volume, which I had to zero.

Not expected that game sounds would be alerts... seems like a bit of a bug to me. But, at least we know the answer.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game was 3 hours. All newbies, but the owner had read the rules and was able to teach pretty well. It was way too long, I won't be playing again, there's only 60 minutes of game in there, and stretched over 3 hours it just wasn't very fun. We didn't do very well either, only got one crystal and one kill before being destroyed by core breach.

(We were playing the scenario where you have to collect 3 crystals, from 6 sectors, only 1 of which is on the table at the start.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Our first game was 3 hours. All newbies, but the owner had read the rules and was able to teach pretty well. It was way too long, I won't be playing again, there's only 60 minutes of game in there, and stretched over 3 hours it just wasn't very fun. We didn't do very well either, only got one crystal and one kill before being destroyed by core breach.

The one game I played took about 75 minutes which included teaching jobs to three of the players. We did win, which always make co-ops more fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

(We were playing the scenario where you have to collect 3 crystals, from 6 sectors, only 1 of which is on the table at the start.)

I strongly suggest doing the training missions that are posted on BGG for the first game. Even with newbies, that one should only take 60 to 90 minutes and it's much easier. If you do happen to give it another try, be sure to do those missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.