Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster» Forums » General

Subject: Which Guns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you determining which guns to give to who?

I have yet to read the rules so does it matter, is the game WYSIWYG?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
How are you determining which guns to give to who?

I have yet to read the rules so does it matter, is the game WYSIWYG?



I went through my Biohazard extras this evening to check all the bits were there, and it seems to me that you don't get much of a choice.

The helmeted male troopers only have one kind of gun that fits them - the regular rifle, with a particular amount of hand/arm attached to it.

The unhelmeted male troopers ('Reavers' IIRC) only have one kind of gun that fits them - the giant one from the weapons sprue with cannisters sticking out of it which also needs the separate piece of left forearm to fit it on.

The female troopers have a choice between the rifles with the entire right forearm to the elbow attached and just the left hand, the funny beam weapon ('Lancer'?) and the grenade/mortar launcher (oh how I wish they mentioned what all these were called in the manual), but you probably only have enough weapons to fit out all the figures anyway. The Biohazard extras, if you went for that, come with a spare Reaver body and a spare female-trooper rifle, for what it's worth; I don't know about the main game's bits 'cause I've not opened those bags yet.




I think it's probably best to play the game WYSIWYG, simply because wounds are tracked on cards, and if you don't have the right figures for each card, you may find it hard to keep track of which figures have taken which wounds (not that this helps you for the Strain zombies). If you look at the deck of cards that came with the game, you may find that you can just follow those as a cue for which weapons to glue to which bodies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
If you look at the deck of cards that came with the game, you may find that you can just follow those as a cue for which weapons to glue to which bodies.
That is what I did, followed by dry-fitting arms to make sure it was correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit I had not opened all the bags... but having done that tonight it is almost obvious what goes where... however, the male Vanguard units can only take the standard rifle.

The female Vanguard units get the differentiation.

I purchased two Biohazard sets and now I am not sure I have it in me to assemble and paint both... It's the journey that counts right? whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I will admit I had not opened all the bags... but having done that tonight it is almost obvious what goes where... however, the male Vanguard units can only take the standard rifle.

The female Vanguard units get the differentiation.

I purchased two Biohazard sets and now I am not sure I have it in me to assemble and paint both... It's the journey that counts right? whistle


Am I the only one bothered by this? It's a detail, but it's just weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
StevenE wrote:
The female Vanguard units get the differentiation.


Am I the only one bothered by this? It's a detail, but it's just weird.


Not really. Females in general tend to have faster reactions and greater joint flexibility. Makes sense for a mixed-sex force to give the special weapons to the people who can make best use of them. Similarly, men tend to have greater physical strength, so it makes sense to give the heaviest (weight) weapons to the chaps.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

The female Vanguard units get the differentiation.


Depends on the outfit. Everyone knows you can't pull off wearing an Azriel Fusion Lance if you're wearing Manolo Blahnik combat boots. You need a retro carbine or you'll clash.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Brucks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that all copies were like mine, then there's no real choice in the matter. You have enough weapons to make all of the different models depicted on the cards, and they really only fit together one way. I was unable to get the grenade launcher to fit on the non-helmeted female body, while the plasma launcher only fits the non-helmeted female body. The standard rifles are designed to fit on the helmeted male and female bodies, but not the non-helmeted female, and the big las-cannon only fits on the non-helmeted male body. The only real choice you have is with Barker Zosa, since he can wield one of two weapons. Likewise, the Strain minis all only go together one way. I think the choice comes more into play with force composition, not really mini construction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Higgs
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're that way inclined, you can do some simple arm conversions, although it will involve some messy snipping, gluing and filling. (My finished first squad can be seen in my gallery).
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1542064/vincehiggs

The figure on the left uses the plastic Kara's legs with a female Vanguard body. I also have a model that reimplements the plastic Kara's sword and pistol, but have yet to paint that up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
StevenE wrote:
I will admit I had not opened all the bags... but having done that tonight it is almost obvious what goes where... however, the male Vanguard units can only take the standard rifle.

The female Vanguard units get the differentiation.

I purchased two Biohazard sets and now I am not sure I have it in me to assemble and paint both... It's the journey that counts right? whistle


Am I the only one bothered by this? It's a detail, but it's just weird.


Not only not bothered, but very happy to see.

Its extremely realistic. Big burly guys get the bigger guns, more dexterous girls get the special training.

When I play against my wife, I tend to play 'the bad guys' and she gets 'the good guys'.

She is incredibly happy about the vast female options for the first time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.