A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just starting getting into wargames (Thanks a lot, Marco. ) and I'm just getting used to the idea of non-mounted boards so I wanted to get some opinions from you lot who have a little more experience in this area.

First...
Poll
Is it important to you that a game comes with a mounted map?
Yes
No
Depends on the quality of the map
      367 answers
Poll created by Siouxfire

And for those of you who have games with paper maps, how do you manage them? Do you weight them down? Do you put a sheet of perspex/plexiglass over the top? I'm curious to learn more about this. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Always a great response on these forums! Thank you. Here's another question...

Is there a standard size or good average size of plexiglass that you use with your unmounted maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer either unmounted paper maps or thin cardstock maps to hard-mounted maps. You can use a sheet of plexiglass or a poster frame to make them lie flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounted boards are nice for single-map games that travel (you take the game to your friend's house or the local game shop to play), as it eliminates the need to lug plexiglass around (of course, maybe your friend or the game shop has plexi - if so, problem solved). However, for two mappers or larger, I find that I prefer unmounted boards - a lighter package, and most two+ map games don't travel anyways - you set them up in your home and leave 'em there until you're done playing. Plexiglas laid over the paper map works quite well to provide a solid playing surface for such games. Hell, these days I even use plexi over mounted map games, just to protect the gameboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes even plexi the hard mounted boards from the C&C series games. My plexi has felt pads on the corners to raise it a little bit off the table top and after the bare map and the variable terrain hexes have been positioned, the plexi goes over and anything that might move (units, sandbags, victory markers etc.) is placed above the plexi.

I have several pieces of plexi for the different tables I own and I also have a sheet of clear plastic (purchased from a fabric store) that can adapt to almost any shape of table I may encounter if not at my place.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I prefer thin cardstock maps as they have some rigidity, but can be made to lay flat under plexi with ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Crush. Mix. Burn. Repeat.
mbmb
I had a hard time getting used to the idea of playing on mapsheets rather than mounted boards, but after having bought a plexiglass plate and played with that I would rather not buy a game WITH a mounted board. Plexi is just so much better when playing wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to fall into the non-mounted map category now that I put plexi over the game. The mounted map ends up taking a lot of space in the box that could go to counter trays and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer paper or cardstock for weight reasons, and plexiglas for protection - even over mounted map boards. I often find plexi useful in that you can use marker pens on it - to show a blown bridges, start lines, objectives, etc. - instead of using extra marker counters in some cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminate my paper boards and mount them on foamcore.
Works well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Mounted boards are nice for single-map games that travel (you take the game to your friend's house or the local game shop to play), as it eliminates the need to lug plexiglass around (of course, maybe your friend or the game shop has plexi - if so, problem solved). However, for two mappers or larger, I find that I prefer unmounted boards - a lighter package, and most two+ map games don't travel anyways - you set them up in your home and leave 'em there until you're done playing. Plexiglas laid over the paper map works quite well to provide a solid playing surface for such games. Hell, these days I even use plexi over mounted map games, just to protect the gameboard!

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_WH wrote:
I prefer either unmounted paper maps or thin cardstock maps to hard-mounted maps. You can use a sheet of plexiglass or a poster frame to make them lie flat.

Agree with this. My problem with mounted maps particularly for multi mappers is they can warp over the decades and can be a bugger to get flat again.

Good paper or thin card is my preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put plexi over every map so format is unimportant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first re-entered gaming I really wanted mounted boards, and they still may be preferable for shorter and smaller games and Euros. But over time I've come to prefer unmounted games, primarily for storage and weight reasons.

For example EuroFront II is 88"x"34" when laid out. (The maps come in 2 different modules, EastFront II, and WestFront II. If they were mounted the game boxes would be a lot larger, and more expensive than they already are. I really like the the cardboard map that they use and it has held up well. We put plexi on top to flatten it out, and I'm happy with this solution.

To contrast, I also own Axis & Allies Europe 1940, and Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 which uses mounted boards 70"x32" when both are together to play the global variant. I think that retail for each of these is about $100, and I feel like an awful lot of that cost is going towards the mounted boards. Plus the boxes for these two are larger, and personally are somewhat of a pain to store. On the other hand this is more of a beer and pretzels game and so maybe not having the hassle of plexi is an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounted maps are overrated Paper is easier to store and setup. Like everyone else said plexi is the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I use glass ($40 15+ years ago) actual glass for home use and a 30" x 36" plexiglass for portable use. The 30" dimension is because most folding tables used at conventions and in game stores are 30" wide.

I use the glass (36" x 36" x 1/4") at home even with mounted maps. The extra weight of the glass smoothes out any bowing or gapping with mounted maps.

Mounted maps are very low on my priority list.

However, High quality counters are a very high priority for me. See this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/399636/quality-counters-plea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on paper and plexi glass, ease of storage etc etc.

When I open a mounted board - it's just a game.

When I open a paper map it's almost like I'm looking at the real situation.

I guess a paper map gives me a deeper level of fun.

Yes, I'm a little strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always loved my Avalon Hill games because they had mounted boards. I have a few paper map games but I definitely prefer mounted- my games feel like pieces of art to me and the mounted boards just seem so nice. But I think paper or mounted doesn't effect how a game plays, so if a great game has paper, I'd not turn away from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i prefer paper maps inside poster frames. then you can move the unfinished game around if you need to. sometimes i need the table space for other reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't care - they both work well under plexi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer mounted mapbpards. I can live with a paper map but I prefer mounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted yes because I find mounted boards hold up better and I don't have to deal with folds or map overlapping (which I know can be remedied with plexi or similar). However I do make exceptions. How can you not want this map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a deal-breaker, but a deal SEALER. If I'm on the fence, it will probably push me over.

Otherwise, if I'm in favor of the game, I'm cool, so long as it fits under my poster-frame sized plexi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite wargame when I was young was Ogre. Mounted map? I had to cut the counters out with a pair of scissors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like mounted maps, and am willing to pay extra for one but this is never a deal breaker. Like Judd said above it will push me over the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Important? Not if the design is good.

A consideration? Absolutely. Value-for-money is always considered with every game I obtain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I answered 'no' to the question, "Is it important to you that a game comes with a mounted map?" but the truth is, I DO care - I (slightly) prefer
unmounted maps for most games. Modern GMT hard maps are an exception though,
I do like them on smaller games. Wouldn't pay the extra cost to have
them - but I figure they don't actually increase the cost of the
games that they're in - they tend to show up in games which might not
sell as well otherwise, reducing the cost to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.