Hide
12 Posts

CO₂» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is company goal 31 unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e o
msg tools
Card 31 says that you get 2 points for each CEP up to a maximum of 16, but nothing that you ALSO can get 8x8/2 points in addition for the sale of the CEP.

Isn't that a quite huge amount more than any other company goal?

I've only played once, but we had a very weird game partially because of that card. I ended up with 114 points while my opponent ended up with 214. We both maxed out almost all of the research in the last decade, and ran out of solar power, for example. It felt very weird and unbalanced overall, so I hope we read some of the rules wrong (but we still can't figure out which, so far).

Anyway, it will be interested to hear what you have to say about 31. I have a five player game planned for this weekend, and depending on comments here, I might leave this card at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We missed it in our first game that the CEPs for that card are only for in hand CEPs before gaining CEPs from regions you control. It's tougher than it looks and depending on the value of CEPs can be useless at end game if you don't have enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I maxed this card out in the four player game we had this weekend and still lost. The UN goal cards seem to be much more important than any company goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I maxed this card out in the four player game we had this weekend and still lost. The UN goal cards seem to be much more important than any company goal.

Totally agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the CEPs for that card are only for in hand CEPs before gaining CEPs from regions you control.

This can't be emphasized enough.

It is no doubt a good goal card but I don't think it's overpowered. In six games I've played, I've only seen the player with this card win once (and it popped up in someones hand in most games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e o
msg tools
I know the rules that only tiles on hand counts (it was still maxed out in my game).

My question was really, is there any other company goal card which can potentially give as many points as this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them max out at 15 or 16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e o
msg tools
Right, but you could say that this one maxes out at 48, or?

Maybe that's the wrong way to look at it, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valueing at 48 is arguable because it drives you to getting those points but those points are variable - the other players could end with a pile of CEPs or they could drive down the price, leaving you with only 20 points.

Compare goal 33: one of each power plant type. This maxes at 15 but you also get the value of the power plants so by your arguement it maxes at 61 and even if you buy the cheaper early versions you still get 51 in total. Plus it then allows you to claim any of the UN goals, perhaps another 20+.

If your strategy in every game is to build no power plants and get all your points from CEPs and cash then goal 31 is a bonus and 33 is a distraction but forcing you to consider alternate strategies is surely the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most of them max at 15 or 16. But this card is MUCH easier to get to the max than most of the rest of the cards. Collecting 8 CEPs is a piece of cake relative to getting say power plants in 5 regions, or control of 4 or 5 regions, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you see someone collecting CEPs, sell to lower the price as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltofu wrote:
When you see someone collecting CEPs, sell to lower the price as much as possible.

Ummm... while that reduces their value for the normal process of selling them off and getting half points for the money at game end... it actually makes it easier for the guy who has card 31 and is trying to collect 8 to max out the bonus for 16 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.