Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Marines were tough. It turns out that (former) Marine Ryan Smith whines that he might have to perform bodily functions with women present, and could be "traumatized" by the experience.

Hopefully, this feeble incapacity on his part is why they drummed him out of the service.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732353980457826...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
There is a time and place for the magic of bums and arseholes to be acknowledged.

Perhaps the military just isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Lol, I work with a marine who would slap this guy silly for writing this article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, who else is let down by David's utterly gauche thread title? I expect so much more from this man of refined sensibilities and impeccable reasoning! Why must all my heroes favor boots of clay? Well, okay, just Spiderman and David, but that's two too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
man of refined sensibilities

That would be a revelation to, I guess, everyone who's ever met me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's cool that women are now combat eligible.

Now... where is my flying car!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are talking about the future now, where is my military that look like models Starship Troopers style, spending as much time in the mixed showers as they do fighting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

I met you, so you have guessed incorrectly. Which is, in itself, a revelation. I will pretend that I meant refined in the sense of "exact." I didn't, but who cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

I met you, so you have guessed incorrectly. Which is, in itself, a revelation. I will pretend that I meant refined in the sense of "exact." I didn't, but who cares?

Weren't you the one complaining about my shorts? Or was that another of my admirers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I complained about them from 3 years ago! For all I know they were the exactly correct shorts for you. I think I mostly was complaining about your socks, actually. In concert with your shorts. However, when we met earlier this year, you were urbane, witty, and well-dressed. I simply assumed you "got better."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you are forced to point this out, however, I will admit that I was approaching drunkenness quite rapidly when we met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do age like a fine wine, that much is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't care if gays or women are in the military or not. That said, there is one and only one function of our military and that is to defend our country. Its priority is not to appease every social group out there. If including gays and women in the front lines helps to improve its effectiveness then I'm all for it. If their inclusion proves detrimental then I am against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phosrik wrote:
I honestly don't care if gays or women are in the military or not. That said, there is one and only one function of our military and that is to defend our country. Its priority is not to appease every social group out there. If including gays and women in the front lines helps to improve its effectiveness then I'm all for it. If their inclusion proves detrimental then I am against it.

Well firing a ton of our assets who spoke arabic (farsi I think it was) did not enhance our effectiveness.

I'd rather have a motivated female than an unmotivated male. We have a volunteer army.

Hmmm... if women are allowed in the combat units now --- then in 6 years they might be required in the combat units. That might change the mix of women who volunteer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
phosrik wrote:

Gays bring a lot of essential skills to the army:
- give lethal blows
- awareness of when the enemy is coming really hard
- equally capable of taking the enemy from behind or doing him face to face
- in trench warfare: experience entering smutty holes

You missed out the ability to disarm with a scathing comment at a hundred yards.

Plus we'd make the force look simply fabulous!

Being a flaming gayer myself I can assure you I've 'known' a fair few gay soldiers in my time, and I wouldn't mess with any of them. Not even if I had an enormous gun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I do age like a fine wine, that much is true.

So you're as sour as vinegar, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
But - the first time a male Marine whips out his penis to urinate, and a female Marine sees it, she will most likely contact the ACLU or NOW and sue for sexual harassment or for creating a hostile workplace(!!) and get the male Marine forced to take sensitivity classes.

Or a female former POW will sue the Marines for allowing her to be raped or sexually harasssed after caputure.

Women in combat - Let the litigation lottery begin.

Wouldn't this also apply to male Marines, or do you somehow think female Marines are different? If so, I think that says more about you than them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
That caveat in place, I'm not sure how many would meet them, particularly when you start looking at the more rigorous standards for para's and the like.

Short of lugging around an M-60, I'm sure they'll do fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I think that says more about you than them.

You think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jmilum wrote:

You think?

I don't know that he's not one of those posters that just says things for the sake of getting a rise out of people, as 'jokes', or really believe that shit. I suspect it's his actual view, but don't know for sure, so it's only a 'think'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
With our litigious society I can see within a year of the ban being lifted there will be a half dozen or so lawsuits brought against the military relating to women in combat.

Already there is legal question as to whether women will have to register for the draft when they turn 18 to comply with the law. Lawsuit waiting be filed…

And it’s more about how ‘sue-happy’ we are than about women in combat. My Subway sandwich is not exactly 12 inches? I am suing! My kid did not get into ? I am suing. Ad infinitum…

The point is, are you saying that women are more litigious then men? If not, then it isn't worth bringing up because you are already going to have a certain number of lawsuits per capita regardless of sex. The reasons for the lawsuits are immaterial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Already there is legal question as to whether women will have to register for the draft when they turn 18 to comply with the law. Lawsuit waiting be filed…

And it’s more about how ‘sue-happy’ we are than about women in combat. My Subway sandwich is not exactly 12 inches? I am suing! My kid did not get into ? I am suing. Ad infinitum…

Litigious women or men? As for the draft, do you think a woman will file suit or a man? Currently women are already serving in combat roles, they just don't get credit for it, so why haven't men already filed suit regarding the draft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
jmilum wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
jmilum wrote:

You think?

I don't know that he's not one of those posters that just says things for the sake of getting a rise out of people, as 'jokes', or really believe that shit. I suspect it's his actual view, but don't know for sure, so it's only a 'think'.

With our litigious society I can see within a year of the ban being lifted there will be a half dozen or so lawsuits brought against the military relating to women in combat.

Subway sandwiches are actually only 11 inches. I know, because I measured it before I ate the evidence.

I didn't sue though.

As for the lawsuits, I'm absolutely sure some women will actually be sexually harrassed.

On another point, my friend posted on facebook about his tour in Afghanistan and how he didn't get to shower for 3 years, and made the point that women have hygiene needs that men don't have.

Another point, of which the effects remain to be seen, is the reaction of male soldiers to the death of female soldiers in combat.

Another point, is this going to lead to more motherless children?

Not being able to go potty is the least of our worries, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
As for the lawsuits, I'm absolutely sure some women will actually be sexually harrassed.

Women are already being sexually harassed and raped. Very often by the high command. It's a very big problem. Perhaps if the Generals would stop doing it and show leadership in that regard, the other soldiers would see that type of thing as not ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that where ever there were only men before, women are treated badly when they get in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.