Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite top-5 geek games right now are:

#1: Warhammer: Invasion
#2: Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm
#3: Magic: The Gathering
#4: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
#5: Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

I'm currently also playing a lot of Ra and Stone Age.

I'm interested in trying Android: Netrunner, but would prefer a multiplayer game, much like Texas Hold'em.

Any suggestions for a great bluffing multiplayer game that oozes with great theme, artwork, and components (which Texas Hold'em offers none)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance: Avalon or Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game both require poker faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Coup, and it certainly has some bluffing elements. However, it's lacking a bit in components and theme. Still on you should check out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
princemousey wrote:

I havent played the Resistance, but Battlestar is a brilliant game of bluffing and arguing.

Not sure I'd compare Texas Holdem with much of any other games, except Omaha of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check my top ten and Poker is my #1 game and I only play No Limit Hold'em and usually at very high stakes.

Yomi is a great game that will get your poker mind working, as will Puzzle Strike (Third Edition), and Mage Knight Board Game.

Of the three Yomi is probably a game that you will find some similarities to poker in, I also agree with The Resistance: Avalon hitting the right threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a strange recommendation, but the Euro-game that feels most like poker to me without actually being poker is Taj Mahal. It has bluffing, gut checks, folding, and stuff to win. It is tense and and vicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply's, so far Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery is looking pretty good. I've played The Resistance: Avalon before, actually. It's a fun bluffing game for sure, but doesn't offer much of a press your luck aspect, and there really isn't any betting for cards. Taj Mahal could be worth something, too. Lots of research to do!

Thanks, all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Classic Warlord might be a possibility... the army combat system is done by staking up to 6 attacking armies by selecting the relevant face of a D6 concealed from the defender. If defender guesses right you lose that many armies, if it's wrong defender loses one. It's in the attacker's interest to attack with more armies as they can then carry on attacking/moving, and every successful attack gets you a stage of a nuclear missile, but of course the defender knows that... it's quite an art selecting the right stake for an attack, and thus also quite an art to work out what it will be as a defender.

Exec summary of the game is Risk with knobs on, but a much better game than Risk with no luck and with nuclear missiles that scales better to both smaller and bigger wars and with more of both tactics and strategy. Artwork confined to graphic design of the board, but otherwise seems to tick your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cosmic Encounter (need 4+ IMO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a big +1 for YOMI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tichu

Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal is one of my favourite games. I also play Hold'Em regularly, and I can see some parallels.

I would definitely second the recommendation.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Texas Hold'em you might like Tigris & Euphrates. You need to bluff and manage your hand of tiles. The theme is there and the depth of the game is extraordinary. Also agree with Taj Mahal, a real knife fight--theme is weak but you'll find ways to look past it.

Also Love Letter has a good bluffing element to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.